Tenet NFometer

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
ChristNolan wrote:
September 5th, 2020, 4:18 pm
Updated

I had to cancel my screening today. Unfortunately I'm not sure when I'll be able to see the film. It might be another 2-3 weeks at the earliest.
I’m in the same boat.

My fourth viewing.

MyCocaine wrote:
September 5th, 2020, 5:29 pm
My fourth viewing.

Damn. Alright then.

Morph my 6 into 8, please.

Second viewing much much better because the local technician knows me and decided to lower the decibels so us ten in cinema can comfortably watch the movie.

Guess what? Friend still hurt his ears by the end! Not only that, technician said he's heard multiple reports on people with damaged ear drums due to this movie's amateurish fucked up mixing that is clearly not matching with most cinema setups unfortunately.

All of that aside, I actually liked the movie second time.

m4st4 wrote:
September 5th, 2020, 5:55 pm

Second viewing much much better because the local technician knows me and decided to lower the decibels so us ten in cinema can comfortably watch the movie.

Guess what? Friend still hurt his ears by the end! Not only that, technician said he's heard multiple reports on people with damaged ear drums due to this movie's amateurish fucked up mixing that is clearly not matching with most cinema setups unfortunately.

Do any of the emotional punches hit better the second time? That's my biggest fault with it right now.

Bacon wrote:
September 5th, 2020, 6:41 pm
m4st4 wrote:

Do any of the emotional punches hit better the second time? That's my biggest fault with it right now.
Emotionnally:
Debicki already worked for me on first watch very well. Pattinson worked better on second viewing.

Bacon wrote:
September 5th, 2020, 6:41 pm
m4st4 wrote:

Not really. Final part with Pattinson did, I actually understood what happened and generally I think he was a scene stealer anyway. But nothing near Inception/Interstellar.

i suspect this aspect will deepen with time:
the protagonist is basically sending his best friend (and maybe surrogate son, who knows) back in time to die to close the loop and save the world, while Neil spends the whole movie as a dutiful and caring best friend who can't disclose just how much he cares about the protagonist. there's resonances there i expect could enrichen over time.

-Vader

m4st4 wrote:

I'm glad your experience w the sound this time around was better. Personally i'm not that bothered by the story or the emotion or the characters. I was disappointed with how amateurish the sound mixing was. Does nolan hear things differently than other people?

Interstellar and dunkirk were loud but it worked. the sound mixing in tenet was just abrasive tbh

Hey ChristNolan, I haven't been around in a while but add an 8.8 to the Veteran meter please. Review was posted in other thread. Thanks.
The Taxman wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 1:22 am
m4st4 wrote:

I'm glad your experience w the sound this time around was better. Personally i'm not that bothered by the story or the emotion or the characters. I was disappointed with how amateurish the sound mixing was. Does nolan hear things differently than other people?

Interstellar and dunkirk were loud but it worked. the sound mixing in tenet was just abrasive tbh
Ok, so it's not just me wondering what's up with the sound mixing...