Tenet User Reviews/Reactions [Possible SPOILERS]

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Oku
Vader182 wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 9:39 pm
okay so,

what a weird movie

-Vader
You need to be way more specific lol

I think Lame did a good job, but this is coming from a Hereditary fan.

raimibonn wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 10:16 pm
I think Lame did a good job, but this is coming from a Hereditary fan.
Smith and Lame come from very different places, its a bit like when Interstellar came out, some people didnt like Hoyte`s work, but now we all seem to love what he`s doing and his take on the Nolan style (i still wish Pfister continued being DP in other films, i cant get enough of his style either, very influential to me)

Oku wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 9:52 pm
Vader182 wrote:
okay so,

what a weird movie

-Vader
"movie reviews arent about being specific, when you go the movies you gotta work with what you find"

Oku wrote:
Vader182 wrote:
okay so,

what a weird movie

-Vader
Yeah like weird as in good? bad? just weird?

bootsy wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 10:43 pm
Oku wrote:
Vader182 wrote:
okay so,

what a weird movie

-Vader
He gave it an 8.5 and called Nolan a mad scientist, so I think good lol

Bacon wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 11:50 pm
bootsy wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 10:43 pm
Oku wrote:

He gave it an 8.5 and called Nolan a mad scientist, so I think good lol
:thumbup:

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 2:32 am
So I drove to Nevada (Reno) this afternoon for a 5:00 showing. Just returned.

I am not going to leave a review right now, it's far too early for that. I will however react a little to try and wrap my head around things. Keep in mind that I didn't see any trailers, so this is me seeing anything about this movie for the first time. I'm sure others won't have as much trouble keeping up if you've seen trailers, hah. I still haven't read anyone else's impressions or seen anything about it (including the RT score), so bear with me as this is completely uninfluenced and independent.

From my end, this film felt both overwhelming and incomprehensible, and neither of those two things are knocks in the slightest. It has earned the need for at least two more theatrical repeat viewings to absorb the story and its mechanics, and to be fair I believe that Christopher Nolan actually made a comprehensible film, and furthermore I think he made it to the point that even his actors understood what was going on when they filmed it (because I didn't feel the same during Inception).

Now I'm not saying that the movie is like Inception, but if I were to liken it to Inception, say that Ellen Page's character was not there for the audience's sake to be explained everything, and instead was just a part of the mission when they talk about things like kicks, architects, dreamers, subconscious projections, time dilation, etc. That's what this movie felt like, which some people may prefer. I mean Tenet explains things, but it doesn't feel the need to rehash them and it doesn't dumb it down for them as if it's all purely exposition. So for those who don't want to be spoonfed the movie's rules, congratulations... I give you Tenet.

I still just can't wrap my head around how this film was made. I don't know what goes on in that man's mind. If it truly is tightly woven and constructed to the point that I can properly make sense of it all, then I just have to give props for the creativity. This is the first time since Memento that I am just perplexed at how he thinks and can even try to make this coherent, much less execute on it. And furthermore, I don't know how this movie was filmed. I mean most of it is relatively straightforward, but there are 2-3 specific sequences where I just question: "How the hell was that done?" I think even if I see a behind-the-scenes, I still won't understand it.

Anyway, those are just early content-free reactions. I'm not even near done talking about this movie, and I haven't even mentioned whether I liked it or not!
Good stuff. Nolan is almost too smart for his own good. I found TENET quite overwhelming but in a great way, an absolutely thrilling experience.

I miss Wally and Hans in this.
Inception for me looks better than Tenet and the score for inception was perfect loud.
Dont get me wrong Hoyte did great too but I feel Wally would have been a perfect fit.

Wow.

I saw this on a late Thursday night. And... I have some thoughts. Spoilers ahead, so fair warning... don't tell me you weren't warned! :judge:
This has to be one of the most expensive arthouse films ever produced by a major film studio - if not THE most expensive one. It's messy, incomprehensible, convoluted... yet oddly beautiful, topical in a strange way (though that just might be my burgeoning interpretation,) and quite... moving?

I was honestly incredibly dismissive of the first hour or so of the movie; nothing was making any sense, the pacing felt rushed, the sound mixing was (as was said by many critics) pretty fucking ridiculous at points. And yet...

...the scene where the Protagonist and Robert Pattinson's character return to an earlier scene of the film happened. And suddenly, my view on the film changed. It reminded me why I love cinema as an art-form.

I'm still processing this movie; I don't think it's perfect, but there's something about it that feels much more experimental and bold than anything Nolan's done in his recent ventures. I'm curious to see what you guys have to think about the film on a conceptual/analytical level. Not too interested in figuring out the logistics of the film, so much as I am the theme. I have some theories/interpretations that I'm having trouble manifesting into words, so... please have at it! I'm insanely curious what you guys think.

(Sorry this seems like a relatively pointless post... like I said, I'm still digesting Tenet. It's a lot of movie. Just want to start a conversation is all!)
Last edited by Ruth on September 4th, 2020, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: use spoiler tags ffs