Tenet Reviews/Reactions [Possible SPOILERS]

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
MaxContract wrote:
August 29th, 2020, 11:36 am
Film criticism is important in many ways. For one, it can be important to highlight what kind of messages and ideas are coming to us from the biggest movie industries because we have seen how in history cinema has been used as propaganda to support political movements or how cinema has been used to block the voice of the minority and often times even sending a message about their inferiority to the white male. Obviously, many of the critics have failed with this as film criticism has mostly just gone towards feeling validated when a film echoes their political beliefs rather than the other way around where they should critique a work that portrays those political beliefs and seeks to understand how the film works in service of those beliefs as well as why and how that message is being pushed.

The second is perhaps the more obvious one, which is that film criticism can be very helpful in getting a larger group of people to be interested in the work of a smaller, independent filmmaker that otherwise may have just gone under the radar due to poor distribution or marketing (the fact Miramax owned by Disney was literally shelving Kiarostami films in the 90s from ever going to theaters let alone getting a proper DVD release)

Not to defend that particular garbage tweet and I think most critics nowadays are absolutely horrible (to a point where I actually respect Armond White more than most critics because he still approaches a work by considering its messages and how that is being used within the storytelling instead of just simply saying something is good because it echoes his political leanings although he still obviously seems to be more partial to right wing cinema so he’s far from perfect) but in theory, film criticism is very important
Sorry but I wholeheartedly disagree. When it comes to subjective things like art and cinema, critiques are really useless and truly pretentious. Writing opinion peices as a fan, layman, General audience member is fine but as soon as you try to make a "profession" about it you are trying to raise the importance of your opinion above others... The very definition of pretentiousness. In more objective areas like science, engineering, economics, and law etc. On the other hand It's important to have expert opinions.

ninenin wrote:
August 29th, 2020, 11:39 am
Ruth wrote:
August 29th, 2020, 11:32 am
ya this is the most perfect type of butthurt behavior
Nah. I've always felt this way about that so-called profession. You can't get more pretentious than thinking you deserve to get paid to tell others your opinion. As if anything they have to say about something as subjective as art has any more bearing than anyone else. If anything critics like that guy are the butthurt ones.
Once again, I don't think the tweet in question is appropriate, but art isn't that subjective - meaning that anyone's opinion on art is not equally valid. There are historical, professional, cultural aspects of any piece and genre of art, and "critics" are - hopefully - people who are aware of these contextual aspects. I mean... come on.

ninenin wrote:
August 29th, 2020, 11:45 am
MaxContract wrote:
August 29th, 2020, 11:36 am
Film criticism is important in many ways. For one, it can be important to highlight what kind of messages and ideas are coming to us from the biggest movie industries because we have seen how in history cinema has been used as propaganda to support political movements or how cinema has been used to block the voice of the minority and often times even sending a message about their inferiority to the white male. Obviously, many of the critics have failed with this as film criticism has mostly just gone towards feeling validated when a film echoes their political beliefs rather than the other way around where they should critique a work that portrays those political beliefs and seeks to understand how the film works in service of those beliefs as well as why and how that message is being pushed.

The second is perhaps the more obvious one, which is that film criticism can be very helpful in getting a larger group of people to be interested in the work of a smaller, independent filmmaker that otherwise may have just gone under the radar due to poor distribution or marketing (the fact Miramax owned by Disney was literally shelving Kiarostami films in the 90s from ever going to theaters let alone getting a proper DVD release)

Not to defend that particular garbage tweet and I think most critics nowadays are absolutely horrible (to a point where I actually respect Armond White more than most critics because he still approaches a work by considering its messages and how that is being used within the storytelling instead of just simply saying something is good because it echoes his political leanings although he still obviously seems to be more partial to right wing cinema so he’s far from perfect) but in theory, film criticism is very important
Sorry but I wholeheartedly disagree. When it comes to subjective things like art and cinema, critiques are really useless and truly pretentious. Writing opinion peices as a fan, layman, General audience member is fine but as soon as you try to make a "profession" about it you are trying to raise the importance of your opinion above others... The very definition of pretentiousness. In more objective areas like science, engineering, economics, and law etc. On the other hand It's important to have expert opinions.
The facts are that Art/cinema has been used for and been affected by very objective things in the past too though and that’s why I think Film criticism can be a very useful tool to discuss that. You are right about film critics that just act like their opinion matters more and they have nothing else to discuss besides what they liked and didn’t like about a movie although even then that dude only wrote out a tweet and has yet to write an actual review, to my knowledge.

So 100+ reviews and Tenet average rating on rotten is 7.3, higher than both Intetstellar and Prestige avg ratings..its also opening very well in the box office

Another win for Nolan

Glad to see that Peter Travers loved this.

Its funny how film critics are cool and matter until they give a fans movie a bad score...

Critics wouldnt have jobs if they had no demand. Yes, critique is subjective...so is filmmaking...So is conversation. All critique is is a response. Find a critic you like and stop worrying (so much) about naysayers

Imagine if you couldnt find out how disgusting a restaurant was before you ate there
or how racist a film was before you buy your tickets

Ill also say you can disagree with a specific critic but dont decry the whole prof. I personaly think its weird that some critics push so hard for audiences to consume nonchallenging material, like they have no faith in the audience

666kalpa wrote:
August 29th, 2020, 10:48 am
Nolan fans "Marshall Julius, off with his head"

DarkChocolateOreo wrote:
August 29th, 2020, 12:48 pm
Its funny how film critics are cool and matter until they give a fans movie a bad score...
Bingo.

DarkChocolateOreo wrote:
August 29th, 2020, 12:48 pm
Bold of you to assume I think critics are cool