Tenet Reviews/Reactions [Possible SPOILERS]

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Intonestellar wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 1:58 pm
redfirebird2008 wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 1:57 pm
Intonestellar wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 1:26 pm

Why is it NY critics dislike Nolan’s films so much?! Never quite got the reasoning.
Probably just that Nolan breaks a lot of rules with his films. Too much exposition is an example of it. They hold him accountable for that.
Thanks. I never understand criticism for exposition.
“Show, Don’t Tell” is one of the big rules in filmmaking. Nolan breaks this rule a lot, probably due to the fact he likes to use complicated, non-linear plots. So he throws a bunch of exposition in there to help the audience. Some critics would prefer that he tell his stories in a coherent manner without using exposition as a crutch or bailout mechanism.

redfirebird2008 wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 2:02 pm
Intonestellar wrote:
redfirebird2008 wrote:

Probably just that Nolan breaks a lot of rules with his films. Too much exposition is an example of it. They hold him accountable for that.
“Show, Don’t Tell” is one of the big rules in filmmaking. Nolan breaks this rule a lot, probably due to the fact he likes to use complicated, non-linear plots. So he throws a bunch of exposition in there to help the audience. Some critics would prefer that he tell his stories in a coherent manner without using exposition as a crutch or bailout mechanism.
It’s a shame those critics don’t write movies, they’d write the best Screenplay ever written every single time with their knowledge and wisdom.

Intonestellar wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 2:09 pm
redfirebird2008 wrote:
Intonestellar wrote:

It’s a shame those critics don’t write movies, they’d write the best Screenplay ever written every single time with their knowledge and wisdom.
You don't understand the role of a critic. André Bazin never made a film in his life, but if hadn't written what he wrote about films, cinema wouldn't have evolved the way it has, same with Andrew Sarris. The ability to make a film and to criticize a film are two diferent abilities.

redfirebird2008 wrote:
Intonestellar wrote:
redfirebird2008 wrote:

This is categorically wrong and a lazy criticism. He shows AND tells, not the same as just telling and not showing, this is just a stock criticism. Nolan's big weakness is that he sometimes underlines his themes and ideas with dialogue. Not always elegant or subtle - not that I look for those qualities in the kind of films he makes.

Others have already replied, but I wanted as well... please, do not look for validation when experiencing any piece of art, be it a mainstream film or, I don't know, a new symphony. That is not why you should care for any artist and their work. You should be able to form your own opinion - and, shockingly, you can like an artist even if she or he has some "weaker" creations. Experience it for yourself, and think about it. If you like it and others hate it, great. If you hate it but others love it, also great. Stay authentic and don't be mad that others might have different takes on a certain piece of art. Be proud that you can form your own opinion, but you also don't have to boast. It should be an intimate experience, between you and art. It's not about others, critics or even the artist. It's only you and your thoughts, so you don't have to be afraid that many people don't like Tenet. Or any previous Nolan film.

I also agree that, on film, the "show, don't tell" cliché is actually true and should be true in most cases. I still love Nolan's work. These are not incompatible thoughts in my eyes.

Ace

Demoph wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 2:18 pm
Intonestellar wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 2:09 pm
redfirebird2008 wrote:

You don't understand the role of a critic. André Bazin never made a film in his life, but if hadn't written what he wrote about films, cinema wouldn't have evolved the way it has, same with Andrew Sarris. The ability to make a film and to criticize a film are two diferent abilities.
I was just messing around :D

Never heard of those two critics tbh.

I like Scott a lot, that's encouraging. For what it's worth, the two biggest Nolan people we've heard from, Robbie Collins and Scott, raved it.

Although I doubt JDW and Pattinson's relationship will be "Fordian" but we'll see.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 1:30 pm
redfirebird2008 wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 1:24 pm
radewart wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 1:04 pm
The scores are pretty good now, but I suspect that both the metacritic and especially the rotten tomatoes is gonna go considerably down when American critics get their hands on the film. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up rotten.
New York critics in particular.
I hear this a lot and while somewhat true, Manohla Dargis and Bilge Ebiri--two of our greatest critics and scholars of film--are huge Nolan people and have raved most of his work. David Sims is also a NY critic who frequently supports Nolan (and host of the Blank Check Podcast, which rules).

I do expect this to wind up in the 70s or under, though. And that's fine!

-Vader
Just pointing out the pattern. A big chunk of New York critics are not fans of Nolan’s storytelling choices for the most part. So it won’t be surprising at all to see them give this film a pretty mixed reaction.

Yeahhh You're going to get a lot more nonsense like that when this movie play in murica