Tenet Reviews/Reactions [Possible SPOILERS]

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Intonestellar wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 1:07 pm
radewart wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 1:04 pm
The scores are pretty good now, but I suspect that both the metacritic and especially the rotten tomatoes is gonna go considerably down when American critics get their hands on the film. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up rotten.
Be surprised if it falls below 60%, Tbf ‘most’ US critics that have seen it have liked it so far, more so than UK based. Probably end up around Prestige/Interstellar score. Tree of Life is on 85%, how on Earth that’s above 1% I’ll never know :D

Some extremely positive reviews on YouTube.
The Tree of Life is the film. Maybe I'm biased because I like arthouse films and collect Criterions.

Paradoxicalparabola wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 1:14 pm
Intonestellar wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 1:07 pm
radewart wrote:
The scores are pretty good now, but I suspect that both the metacritic and especially the rotten tomatoes is gonna go considerably down when American critics get their hands on the film. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up rotten.
Be surprised if it falls below 60%, Tbf ‘most’ US critics that have seen it have liked it so far, more so than UK based. Probably end up around Prestige/Interstellar score. Tree of Life is on 85%, how on Earth that’s above 1% I’ll never know :D

Some extremely positive reviews on YouTube.
Don’t agree with you on Tree of life. There are other films that would fit that example in a better way. But going back to the important point, I think Tenet might go down at the very least to the prestige level of ratings. Will it be a bad thing? I don’t know. Certainly the prestige is now considered one of his best works so time will tell what Tenet becomes.
Tbf I can’t properly judge Tree of Life, I walked out after 45mins, I couldn’t handle any more of it. I hardly ever walk out.

Anyway, Tenet, almost every review I’ve read says it requires multiple viewings. They really do mirror the Interstellar reviews imo.

This guy loved TENET...

Last edited by LeoCobb on August 25th, 2020, 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

radewart wrote:
New York critics in particular.

redfirebird2008 wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 1:24 pm
radewart wrote:
Why is it NY critics dislike Nolan’s films so much?! Never quite got the reasoning.

redfirebird2008 wrote:
radewart wrote:
I hear this a lot and while somewhat true, Manohla Dargis and Bilge Ebiri--two of our greatest critics and scholars of film--are huge Nolan people and have raved most of his work. David Sims is also a NY critic who frequently supports Nolan (and host of the Blank Check Podcast, which rules).

I do expect this to wind up in the 70s or under, though. And that's fine!

-Vader

Another good review... (this guys is not a huge Nolan fan).

*WITH SPOILERS

Last edited by LeoCobb on August 25th, 2020, 9:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

Intonestellar wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 1:26 pm
redfirebird2008 wrote:
radewart wrote:
Why is it NY critics dislike Nolan’s films so much?! Never quite got the reasoning.
Probably just that Nolan breaks a lot of rules with his films. Too much exposition is an example of it. They hold him accountable for that.

redfirebird2008 wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 1:57 pm
Intonestellar wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 1:26 pm
redfirebird2008 wrote:

Probably just that Nolan breaks a lot of rules with his films. Too much exposition is an example of it. They hold him accountable for that.
Thanks. I never understand criticism for exposition.