Tenet Reviews/Reactions [Possible SPOILERS]

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
My thing is, being "cold" is constantly used as an innate neg. There is NOTHING wrong with a film or filmmaker being cold. Not everything has to be the Florida Projct or ET or Schindlers List. A cold cup of water is exactly what I need to clean my palette from all the microwave-nuked boyardee... now I sound dismissive and I am kinda, but really there's room for both

also, for me, (maybe because Ill be seeing the film soon,) i dont get the idea of super hardcore analyzing reviews. Just my opinion though. Glad to hear any detractors

Vader182 wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 11:52 am
Intonestellar wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 6:27 am
71 on metacritic is good imo.

The vast majority of film go-ers will prefer Marvel/Disney films, they are safe popcorn films, there is nothing wrong with that, every has their own opinion. Most don’t want smart, they just want brainless stuff like Fast and Furious films.

80% on RT & over 70% on Meta for a seemingly divisive film is great in terms of critical reception
Tenet's response is more muted than divisive. Most reviews are in the 2/5 or 3/5 range.

It's not even like Joker which had a mix of pans, muted responses and raves. Or even The Revenant, which had many raves as well despite being low 80s.

-Vader
I’ve seen more 4/5 than anything with some 5/5 and 3/5 also. Only seen a couple of 2/5. In the main from reputable outlets it’s had great reception with all hinting that it will get better in time.

Revenant had awful word of mouth, general cinema goers hated it, according to the TF podcast a few months ago.

Intonestellar wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 12:34 pm
Vader182 wrote:
Intonestellar wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 6:27 am
71 on metacritic is good imo.

The vast majority of film go-ers will prefer Marvel/Disney films, they are safe popcorn films, there is nothing wrong with that, every has their own opinion. Most don’t want smart, they just want brainless stuff like Fast and Furious films.

80% on RT & over 70% on Meta for a seemingly divisive film is great in terms of critical reception
Tenet's response is more muted than divisive. Most reviews are in the 2/5 or 3/5 range.

It's not even like Joker which had a mix of pans, muted responses and raves. Or even The Revenant, which had many raves as well despite being low 80s.

-Vader
I’ve seen more 4/5 than anything with some 5/5 and 3/5 also. Only seen a couple of 2/5. In the main from reputable outlets it’s had great reception with all hinting that it will get better in time.

Revenant had awful word of mouth, general cinema goers hated it, according to the TF podcast a few months ago.
have you even looked

and no, The Revenant was a blockbuster success..? It made 500m WW and scored extremely well on user ratings. Personally don't like the film, but you're wrong

it's obvious what you're doing, stop posting wrong info lol.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 12:52 pm
Intonestellar wrote:
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader

have you even looked

and no, The Revenant was a blockbuster success..? It made 500m WW and scored extremely well on user ratings. Personally don't like the film, but you're wrong

-Vader
I know many people who saw Revenant and I don’t know a single person who liked it and guy on TF pod said exact same, that’s not false. It made 500m or whatever it made, Avatar made 2bn and most think that’s naff.

Most reviews are 4/5 IVE SEEN, with some 3/5 and 5/5, sorry what have I said that’s upset you?! Positivity?! I’ve seen two bad reviews, someone from Guardian and IndieWire (I think?!). 80% RT, over 70 MC, 8.4 IMDB.

Maybe you’re seeking out negative scores?! But nothing I said is wrong, it’s fact.

Tbf Vader looking at a few of your recent posts they’re all fairly negative and doomsday vibe. Cheer up, new Nolan film on the way :D
Last edited by Intonestellar on August 23rd, 2020, 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vader182 wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 12:52 pm
Intonestellar wrote:
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader

have you even looked

-Vader
The one thing I know for sure is that I love the revenant. :P

The scores are pretty good now, but I suspect that both the metacritic and especially the rotten tomatoes is gonna go considerably down when American critics get their hands on the film. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up rotten.

SCORPIO16 wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 9:47 am
It's kinda true. You can see my spoiler-free review here.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=42267&view=unread#unread
Thanks for the reaction, I kinda focused on the part about the editing. I liked how Nolan somewhat changed his editing style in Dunkirk, mainly how he let his shots breathe and linger a bit more, so I was hoping to see more of that in Tenet, bummer that it appears to be choppier and faster paced.

redfirebird2008 wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 9:53 am
The critics always rip him on this topic. Not sure how the reaction to Tenet is any different. Ultimately we all have to judge it with our own perspective.
That's true. I guess I read somewhere about a lack of an emotional core and that somehow stuck with me, since that's always present in a Nolan film. But still, subjective and all, and I might even disagree after finally seeing this thing.

Ruth wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 9:59 am
Tbh I remember some lamenting about how Dunkirk had no emotion whatsoever and how the characters were reduced to mere vessels for the experience. And I personally thought this was so far from the truth. In comparison, Interstellar felt almost too sappy. I know it’s a sentiment maybe not shared by many, but just to put things into perspective just how subjective emotion is.
Agreed regarding Dunkirk. Even the first scene that comes to my mind every time I think about the film is the 'What do you see?' 'Home.' part.

radewart wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 1:04 pm
The scores are pretty good now, but I suspect that both the metacritic and especially the rotten tomatoes is gonna go considerably down when American critics get their hands on the film. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up rotten.
Be surprised if it falls below 60%, Tbf ‘most’ US critics that have seen it have liked it so far, more so than UK based. Probably end up around Prestige/Interstellar score. Tree of Life is on 85%, how on Earth that’s above 1% I’ll never know :D

Some extremely positive reviews on YouTube.

Intonestellar wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 1:07 pm
radewart wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 1:04 pm
Be surprised if it falls below 60%, Tbf ‘most’ US critics that have seen it have liked it so far, more so than UK based. Probably end up around Prestige/Interstellar score. Tree of Life is on 85%, how on Earth that’s above 1% I’ll never know :D

Some extremely positive reviews on YouTube.
Don’t agree with you on The Tree Of life. There are other films that would fit that example in a better way. But going back to the important point, I think Tenet might go down at the very least to the prestige level of ratings. Will it be a bad thing? I don’t know. Certainly the prestige is now considered one of his best works so time will tell what Tenet becomes.
Last edited by Paradoxicalparabola on August 23rd, 2020, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.