Tenet User Reviews/Reactions [Possible SPOILERS]

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Hi All,
Just came back from the movie.
I am very mixed and a little disappointed.
I found the movie to be too loud and I could not hear the dialogue which got me lost
The acting is great and the cinematography is one of Nolans best but the script didnt connect with me.I am going to rewatch it tomorrow but this is the first time I have felt disappointed coming out of a Nolan Fim
One thing I will say is the movie is ahead of it's time and it might not do well box office wise because it loses the Audience .
Not one person clapped in the theater. There was a sense of disappointment.
Last edited by mosh89 on August 22nd, 2020, 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oku wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 4:42 am
Jut saw this, and I had absolutely no idea what anyone was saying or what was going on

I know that sounds great when you hear it like that, but experiencing it is uncomfortable because you feel stupid as frick because you don't understand and can't follow anything that's happening

It made me seriously question my mental state and whether I should get my brain checked or something

I felt the same way so did the audience.
Subtitles would have been good

I just returned from watching it. And that's that.

danevito wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 8:23 am
I love Nolan but for me this is a misfire.
I wont be surprised if it flops

Oku
Seriously, I must be brain-damaged because I have absolutely not a single clue what exactly happened or why.

Like for example:
- what the hell that long conversation in the restaurant about a painting...or something was about
- basically any conversation scenes involving exposition, for that matter
- I kept hearing "rotas" over and over again but still have no clue what it is
- how combat between forward and inverted person works
- what exactly the final battle plan was, or why they split into red-blue
And so much more. That's just the tip of the iceberg :lol:

I need someone to make a megapost/megavideo that explains everything before I go in for my second viewing

mosh89 wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 8:30 am
danevito wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 8:23 am
I love Nolan but for me this is a misfire.
I wont be surprised if it flops
I feel the same. But I do think its a movie made for his fans. I left the theater feeling empty. I didn't watch it in IMAX and I know it can make a huge difference on how I perceive a movie. It also wasent subtitled. My next viewing will be both.

It felt almost too down cut, like Nolan was fighting to make the movie fit inside a 2h 30min window. It could easily been filled out to 3h. But I'm no expert.
The role of Branah and his double nature and his connection to end the world could have been introduced smarter and not just by some dialogue that the protagonist found out..
Someone was wondering about the prologue and if the final version is different. Yes there are added scenes and you understand exactly why he cut them from the prologue in the first place. Every scene that is added has some detail from the plot in it. And you understand that immediately when you see it. Brilliantly done I have to say. Unfortunately, the rest of the movie feels cut down just like the first prologue :lol: joking aside, that's just my opinion from first viewing.

If its of any interest, this is my new Nolan movie ranking. It will probably change once I've seen Tenet again and had some distance to it.
Prestige
Interstellar
The Dark Knight Rises
The Dark Knight
Tenet/Inception
Batman Begins
Dunkirk
Insomnia
Memento

Usually I can follow a Nolan film somewhat on the first viewing, but I had very little idea what was happening with Tenet - mainly because the sound mix was deafening/uncomfortably loud (it gave me a headache), muffled and the dialogue was completely inaudible/uninterpretable (much, much more so than any of his other films).
Cinematically/technically, Tenet is a masterpiece and is easily the best action I have ever seen in a film. The Laagna Rd/plane crash scenes were phenomenal. Whilst the score wasn't as musical as Interstellar and consistently had the same sounding theme throughout, LG managed to score perfectly to the action unfolding on screen, but the score lacked emotion/character when needed. The set design was next level and completely justified the cost of the film. Some interesting camera shots and as always IMAX has been used to its highest potential.

Does anybody have any idea what the triangular object was that JDW was holding on top of the fire truck during filming? Looks to have been replaced with the orange case in the film?
I will definitely have to see Tenet again asap to fully appreciate it (and understand wtf was happening 95% of the time).

From what you guys are saying, it sounds like home video might be a better way to watch this movie. Subtitles will help the viewer. And you have control of the volume at home so it’s not so loud that it gives you a headache.

For those who went, Dune's trailer wasn't attached right? What's up with that?

mosh89 wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 7:49 am
Hi All,
Just came back from the movie.
I am very mixed and a little disappointed.
I found the movie to be too loud and I could not hear the dialogue which got me lost
The acting is great and the cinematography is one of Nolans best but the script didnt connect with me.I am going to rewatch it tomorrow but this is the first time I have felt disappointed coming out of a Nolan Fim
One thing I will say is the movie is ahead of it's time and it might not do well box office wise because it loses the Audience .
Not one person clapped in the theater. There was a sense of disappointment.
That might’ve been your experience because others are having a great time with it and didn’t have that much of a problem with sound. Maybe you went watching it thinking too much about the reviews you saw earlier? Based on what you said.