Succession (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
It's produced by Adam McKay and partially inspired by the style of The Big Short, which McKay also directed. The cinematographer of that film was Barry Ackroyd, who is known by his handheld, shaky, zoom in, zoom out style (United 93, Captain Phillips, Hurt Locker, Green Zone, Jason Bourne). It gets maybe a bit better, but it's the style of the show throughout.

However, plot and characterization are on another level (it's imo one of the best currently running tv shows). It might be a bit on the nose the first few episodes and some characters may seem like archetypes, but when you see how and in which way the plot is developing and progressing, you realize it was definitely done on purpose.
Last edited by Smilion on August 12th, 2020, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

season 2 is incredible on every level so yeah, it gets better

ya i wasn’t dogging the show itself, just wasn’t a fan of the camera style

but otherwise yeah, i’ll probably turn into a stan of this show soon enough

yesssss join the Succession is so fucking good gang

also

Snook looks like a younger Charlotte Rampling, but like, even closer to what she looks now than Rampling did when she was young? knowwhatimean?

Also I fucking love Culkins work in this show, hope Nolan will work with him someday (okay and with the rest of the cast lol but still)

Nomis wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 11:04 am
Also I fucking love Culkins work in this show, hope Nolan will work with him someday (okay and with the rest of the cast lol but still)
okay mind you i only watched one episode (about to start ep 2 in a couple of mins) but the way roman
mocked and teased the little boy to hit a home run with a million dollar check then tore it up :cry:
that was instant hate zone for me lol

Well, happy watching lol

Stick with this show for the first few episodes as they're a bit shaky, but season 1 gets better with each episode for sure.

Episode 1 is noticeably jarring as far as style goes. I remember being really turned off by it - it's just way too much, and calls attention to itself too often. It reminded me of the weird flourishes Scorsese put into the Boardwalk Empire pilot (like the circle out transition) that the rest of the series just completely abandoned. As far as Succession goes though, the rest of the series is in that same stylistic wheelhouse, but it takes more of a backseat and allows the characters and moments to lead more.

Seriously though, definitely stick with it. I'm of the opinion that it's absolutely the best show on television right now. Characters haven't been this rich to me since Six Feet Under, and all the actors so completely embody their roles in a similar way. A lot of people overuse and misunderstand the term "Shakespearian," but if any show deserves it it's this one. Shakespeare borrowed most of his plots; his true genius was his language and dialogue that was not just poetic or profound, but actually quite raunchy and irreverent. If he was writing today I'd imagine he'd churn out a line not unlike, "I'm a ding dong doodle bug dipshit."

And man, the soundtrack is such a big part of the douchey operatic tone. Nicholas
Britell is brilliant!

Okay, so I actually took a look at what reddit had to say about the cinematography, and it seems like it was jarring to a whole lot of people. So at least I wasn’t alone in thinking that. But I’m on ep 4, and it feels like I honestly already got used to it! And it is milder now, so I don’t think that’s a problem for me anymore. Besides, it does indeed kinda aid the show’s comedic tone.

Honestly, this show is ridiculous, and I love it already. I don’t know how alone I am in thinking this too, but it sort of rubbed me the wrong way to see just how rich and out of touch these people are at first lol. I know it’s kind of why in the back of my mind I was even a little hesitant to approach this show at first for some time. But even ignoring the fact that this obviously seems to be a very conscious choice, I think I’m already at that point where I’m starting to feel the show’s actual pulse and am being sucked in by the characters, despite feeling varied levels of dislike towards almost everyone. Kind of hard for me to pick favs who seem to have some slight of decency left or seem like capable grown adults. But at the same time they’re all hilarious and I’m rejoicing because their interactions are killing me. The casting is fantastic. I’m still way too early, I guess, to give ~deep thoughts~ on this, but I’m really into it.

And yeah. The soundtrack, I love that too. The opening title is already permanently fried into my brain.

heck yes you turned into a believer 8-)