TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Pippy wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 7:40 am
Does anyone think the new Tenet and Inception features will be on the Inception re-release on Cineworld's IMAX?

I normally avoid it because of the difference compared to Vue's Manchester IMAX, but Vue aren't looking like opening, yet.

With Manchester going the way it is, there's a chance they may not for a while.
In the UK it should be

Tarssauce wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 5:44 pm
Yes. The wide shots of the Endurance whirling in space are Vistavision. They wanted to replicate the harsh sunlight hitting it so they used Vistavision with motion-control and shot at a much lower frame rate and shutter speed so they could get as much light as they can. Almost like stop motion.

So bigger than 4-perf 35mm and smaller than IMAX film. 8-perf 35mm to be exact, equal to a full frame still camera.
bruh

that's pretty cool though

last time I thought Nolan used VistaVision was for that one shot of the truck flipping in TDK

Nomis wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 9:40 am
bruh

that's pretty cool though

last time I thought Nolan used VistaVision was for that one shot of the truck flipping in TDK
He also used VistaVision on INCEPTION :D

Dude! So 10 minutes for TENET!!!! Hope we get it here.

you what?

VistaVision for which shots looooool

omg ten minutes, probably only zooms of the IMAX camera while Hoyte and Chris touch it and gaze into the camera

It's a ten minute long infomercial about IMAX and the theatrical experience :lol:

Crazy - they experimented a lot while shooting INCEPTION. 35mm anamorphic, VistaVision, 5-perf 65mm, high-speed film cameras...

He did a lot of brave things, including using the VistaVision format to film aerial scenes.
Chris is determined to put images on the screen that most closely approximate how people would experience those things in real life. He used VistaVision for plate shots in other films, but this time he used it in situations where the story calls for a completely immersive experience. You feel like you are a character in the movie when the images are as perfect as the VistaVision shots in Inception.
https://www.icgmagazine.com/web/exposure-emma-thomas/

Why wouldn't they have opted for 65mm aerial shots? Since that's still a larger film than VistaVision right?

Also never knew which scenes were 65mm in Inception. I reckon the hallway fight and perhaps some emotional scenes at the end or something but idk

I don't know but maybe the VistaVision cameras were easier to rig for aerial sequences and easier to work with overall, since you know the 65mm cameras are really heavy. It's a big mystery which shots were on 65mm.

Yeah that could be the case for the VistaVision shots

I guess the only way to discern what was 65mm is if there are BTS pics of it being on set lol

Nomis wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 11:30 am
Yeah that could be the case for the VistaVision shots

I guess the only way to discern what was 65mm is if there are BTS pics of it being on set lol
I don't know if that's a dumb question but when Nolan uses 8-perf 35mm VistaVision, such as in the TDK truck flip scene, the final image still is 1.43:1 IMAX. Does that mean he blows up the VistaVision negative for a seamless IMAX experience? Please correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that result in a loss of quality if compared? :?:
Last edited by Nicolas on August 5th, 2020, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

I have no idea what y'all are talking about, what is so special about vista vision?