TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Forum Pro
radewart wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 11:49 pm
Joshua Strong wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 11:05 pm
Is anyone else having a hard time believing that $800m target to break even? The movie cost $225M at the most, I’m sure there are rebates since they did a lot of location work. And there’s no sports, so marketing cost should be really low.

Anyone has any thoughts?
$800 million seems high. I'd figure around 550-600 million worldwide to break even and after that profit. Though that is in normal times pre-Covid.
That's what I was thinking, $600M at the absolute most.

KEM
But the question is... do we think Tenet can even break even right now? I just don’t see it, maybe the internet has gotten into my head too much but it sounds like no one is gonna go to the movies ever again is what it seems lol

Joshua Strong wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 1:00 am
radewart wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 11:49 pm
Joshua Strong wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 11:05 pm
Is anyone else having a hard time believing that $800m target to break even? The movie cost $225M at the most, I’m sure there are rebates since they did a lot of location work. And there’s no sports, so marketing cost should be really low.

Anyone has any thoughts?
$800 million seems high. I'd figure around 550-600 million worldwide to break even and after that profit. Though that is in normal times pre-Covid.
That's what I was thinking, $600M at the absolute most.
Yeah, Tom B makes some great points but he likely overestimates marketing costs (surely not 200m at this point?). The interest piling up on production loans is an interesting one though...

And most importantly though, break even *theatrically*, if they wanna break even before it goes on Blu-ray, digital etc. Surely with COVID that goal post for blockbusters is gone now, they'll have to rely way more on all those other ancillary revenues.

They're wasting so much money on marketing it's insane. Just release the damn movie in states that are open.

Wish Hollywood would release movies internationally.

Our movie theaters have long been open and operating normally; however, due to Hollywood's current status, all our options were remaster and/or reruns of classical movies and VODs in America. (I was able to watch BB and TDK remastered in IMAX again though, so I'm not too mad about it :gonf: :gonf: )

Train to Busan: Peninsula is the first real theatrical release in months (opening today here), and I'm so happy to be able to watch new releases that are meant to be watched on the big screen with a crowd again.

Well releasing Tenet in september is the best option for WB? Who are saying that US will be better in September? Maybe US will be even wors? Maybe most countries in EU will be in lockdown? I dont think September will be different and sorry but US is cursed.

The best option for WB:

1. Look at the international footprint how many movie theaters are reopen and how many people they are allowed to receive people in 1 room. Release Tenet in the countries that are reopen.
2. Release Tenet in US when US is ready but for now it seems it will take very very long time to get there.
3. Play Tenet longer in movie theaters far beyound the norm and it will not get leaked in HD version on torrent websites that fast. For example: Dunkirk HD version got leaked on torrent website like Rarbg.to 2 weeks before the bluray release.
4. Block leaked cam versions of Tenet if it gets leaked in websites or twitter like they Always do.

The thing with the US and how it is brought into the conversation is the country is huge and things are different from one state to another so not all states will be closed by August 12. I guess Americans should weigh in on this (regardless of the ethics of re-opening).

The eyes are on New York and California as they seem to be the biggest domestic markets. But if those two states open up one, two or three weeks later, will that be that big of a problem?

Sam Taylor Johnson has posted on IG that she's watched Tenet in IMAX. Didn't really comment on the actual film, just the feeling of being in a cinema again.

If this get delaying again, do we will get another trailer??