TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Nolan also responds for the first time to the whole release date debacle.

Paradoxicalparabola wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 4:31 am
Collins wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 4:24 am
Among the important statements, Nolan says that it would be "futile" to make a Bond film.
Interesting. What is the context?
Première magazine : You could have made a James Bond film, it would have been simpler, no ?

Christopher Nolan : It would have been extremely futile. These films still exist and they are very good. What I was looking for was not to make a Bond. I wanted to rediscover my childhood feelings that I had with these films. Tenet, it's that, recreate the excitement that I had with these large-scale entertainment.

Nolan also says that he has more freedom after each film. With Tenet he had "resources like few filmmakers have."

Collins wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 4:49 am
June 30th, 2020, 4:31 am
Collins wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 4:24 am
Among the important statements, Nolan says that it would be "futile" to make a Bond film.
Interesting. What is the context?
Première magazine : You could have made a James Bond film, it would have been simpler, no ?

Christopher Nolan : It would have been extremely futile. These films still exist and they are very good. What I was looking for was not to make a Bond. I wanted to rediscover my childhood feelings that I had with these films. Tenet, it's that, recreate the excitement that I had with these large-scale entertainment.
I like his stance about that. Many people might want him to do a Bond film but I believe that when a director of his caliber tries to work on a such a project, too many expectations are created by people which most likely won’t be met. Therefore, it could end up being more hurtful than helpful, so it’s better for him to do his own thing at trying to recreate that sense of wonder he had while being inspired by the spy genre.

Collins wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 4:53 am
Nolan also says that he has more freedom after each film. With Tenet he had "resources like few filmmakers have."
Interesting. I wonder if that also means following Dunkirk’s route of taking risks creatively and experimentally. Of course, Nolan has always taken risks with the aforementioned aspects but since Dunkirk was a biographical approach, that’s why I use it as an example.

June 30th, 2020, 5:12 am
Collins wrote:
Interesting. I wonder if that also means following Dunkirk’s route of taking risks creatively and experimentally. Of course, Nolan has always taken risks with the aforementioned aspects but since Dunkirk was a biographical approach, that’s why I use it as an example.
Première magazine : By discovering the first minutes of Tenet, we had the impression that after Dunkirk, which was an essay film, a visceral work almost without dialogues, this new opus marked your return to a more narrative cinema.

Christopher Nolan : There are more dialogues in Tenet than in Dunkirk for sure (laughs). But it's more complicated than that ... For each film, and Dunkirk was not an exception, I try to find the form that best corresponds to what I want to tell. I have always felt that form should follow substance, and vice versa. The two must interlock, merge. Personally, when I write, I can't think of what I'm saying and how I'm going to express it in a distinct way. Let's put it another way: I'm not trying to have a style. I'm looking for a form of storytelling that combines both the information I want to transmit and the way in which this information will be transmitted ... So, inevitably, each film is different since my stories, the themes that inhabit them are different. And I naturally approached Tenet with an approach very far from Dunkirk.

Collins wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 5:29 am
June 30th, 2020, 5:12 am
Collins wrote:
Première magazine : By discovering the first minutes of Tenet, we had the impression that after Dunkirk, which was an essay film, a visceral work almost without dialogues, this new opus marked your return to a more narrative cinema.

Christopher Nolan : There are more dialogues in Tenet than in Dunkirk for sure (laughs). But it's more complicated than that ... For each film, and Dunkirk was not an exception, I try to find the form that best corresponds to what I want to tell. I have always felt that form should follow substance, and vice versa. The two must interlock, merge. Personally, when I write, I can't think of what I'm saying and how I'm going to express it in a distinct way. Let's put it another way: I'm not trying to have a style. I'm looking for a form of storytelling that combines both the information I want to transmit and the way in which this information will be transmitted ... So, inevitably, each film is different since my stories, the themes that inhabit them are different. And I naturally approached Tenet with an approach very far from Dunkirk.
Wow these quotes had me so excited for the full interview!

in HQ

antovolk wrote:
June 30th, 2020, 4:46 am
Nolan also responds for the first time to the whole release date debacle.
Pretty please, someone translate these bits!