TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Abdulnistan wrote:
June 20th, 2020, 1:59 pm
Pattinson said that tenet was the length of three films..

So the 3 hours 15 minutes running time seems true
Exactly

Abdulnistan wrote:

it's going to run the length of shoah

-Vader

Abdulnistan wrote:

I reckon you are not being serious

Forum Pro
Abdulnistan wrote:

I doubt that was literal...most likely more in terms of how much was packed into the narrative.

Abdulnistan wrote:

By that logic most movies are an hour and five minutes.

Abdulnistan wrote:

It’s a figure of speech, and for the umpteenth time, IMAX platter size limit doesn’t allow for anything over 170 minutes.

Nicewatch wrote:
June 20th, 2020, 4:27 pm
Abdulnistan wrote:

It’s a figure of speech, and for the umpteenth time, IMAX platter size limit doesn’t allow for anything over 170 minutes.
I don't understand something. Isn't the reel from IMAX working the same way as the 35mm film? Each time a film reel is ending, they swap it to the next one, right?
So why does IMAX have a limit on reels?
I always thought that Interstellar limit was because they would have to put another reel just for a few more minutes, therefore burn a whole lot of film for nothing and to save a "few" bucks.

edit: after some research, I now see that they put it all in just one reel. Don't know if it's possible to swap reels during presentation.

The reels were actually first customized to be longer for James Cameron's Avatar. And then Interstellar added a little on to that.

There would have to be an intermission to swap reels.

It is possible to swap reels but it will need some time, let's say like 15-20 minutes a minimum if they rush the process. But in cases like Interstellar it's not a good thing to take a break for like 20 minutes of extra footage at the end of the film when you can cut the film a little bit shortly and experience it as a whole.
I mean why should people watch 170 minutes and then go out for a break so that the cinema will swap the reels and then go back inside again for another 30 minutes left.
That's why Nolan cuts the film in the maximum capacity, he doesn't want this.
You can also say that instead of swapping it like this they can swap the reels in the half of the film, for example 100 min the first one and 100 the second one but we all know that the Nolan films always makes sense in the second half and what if some people got bored in the first half and then they abandon the film for good, I mean especially in Interstellar a majority of people would have abandoned It for sure because the first half of the film is a little bit slow-paced isn't a lot advertising. So it was a better thing to make it fit in the max capacity.

In the case of TENET I personally think that it will be something like 161 minutes (a palindrome number), 161 min is 2 hours and 41 min film, it fits the Imax capacity and to me it looks like the perfect run time for a film like this.

But...there is always a but...In case of Tenet the "swapping reels idea" is different from Interstellar, if Tenet is longer than 170 min i think that they can go for a SWAP because we have seen the kind of action and the kind of built that TENET film has and I am pretty sure that when people will see the first half and then go out for the short break, i am 100% sure that all they will think about is "I can't wait to keep watching it" , "we need to go back inside and see the second half as fast as possible".
As far as we know from Ema Tenet has 7 climatic scenes so It guarantiees the Hold the audience sitting throughout the whole Film.

But anyway I stand strong in the idea of It being 161 min.

The Hateful Eight had an intermission, it was not a big deal. I don't know if there was a technical reason for this or if Tarantino just wanted to hark back to older films. Did the digital presentations have the intermission? I saw it in 70mm.