The Last of Us - It can't be for nothing (Part II announced)

A place to discuss music and video games.
m4st4 wrote:
June 19th, 2020, 3:48 am
I can't believe this is running on a seven year old machine.
nono apparently you only always need a 3k dollar machine to run decent graphics

prince0gotham wrote:
June 19th, 2020, 4:03 am
m4st4 wrote:
June 19th, 2020, 3:48 am
I can't believe this is running on a seven year old machine.
nono apparently you only always need a 3k dollar machine to run decent graphics
:lol: Cap: I understood that reference.

But imagine that one Naughty Dog game at the end of PS5 era... 🤯

will I get accused of hyperbole if I say the first 3 hours are 3 of the most riveting, exalting, engaging hours I've experienced playing a video game?

asking for a friend

PS, on a pure visual/graphical level, this is pretty mind-blowing. the shadows, the fidelity, the artistry of the composition and color, all are startlingly life-like and tactile. the first TLOU looks downright cartoonish by comparison. also most (all?) other games.

PS the 2nd-- MAJOR SPOILERS. do not click unless you've gotten to the main city (not the main town where you start, this one begins with an S. just being extra careful if people don't know the big city you go to instead of Boston/Salt Lake City)
it's a masterstroke how they make the players complicit in you-know-who's death by virtue of that character only being alive because we, the players, kept Abby alive. you feel dirty and raw and fucked up. we cried for a while.

-Vader

Didn't click on the second spoiler even though I just reached S. Being extra careful lol.

But reading your first impressions I was nodding my head throughout saying preach baby boy, preach.

And the music design (not just sound) , how it gets on the same level as your heart beat at times, is impressive.

m4st4 wrote:
June 19th, 2020, 5:19 am
Didn't click on the second spoiler even though I just reached S. Being extra careful lol.

But reading your first impressions I was nodding my head throughout saying preach baby boy, preach.

And the music design (not just sound) , how it gets on the same level as your heart beat at times, is impressive.
It's from the end of the prologue, so you're safe. Would love your thoughts on that whole aspect, especially
the vitriolic online response for how out of character it was for you-know-who to give a name and act so trusting. not saying i agree or disagree, just wondering your take.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
June 19th, 2020, 5:21 am
m4st4 wrote:
June 19th, 2020, 5:19 am

It's from the end of the prologue, so you're safe. Would love your thoughts on that whole aspect, especially
the vitriolic online response for how out of character it was for you-know-who to give a name and act so trusting. not saying i agree or disagree, just wondering your take.

-Vader
Interesting, never even though of it while playing, the game just swept me in one quick motion.
How Abby is put in a position of player control where she absolutely needs to survive for you to continue the game, but it also gives you the bitterness of the whole house scene, which by the way reminded me so much of the house from TLOU, when David catches you in the end. I didn't know about the details of the outrage, managed to spoil myself only on the fact that Joel dies. Figured when and where while playing. But seeing it and experiencing it truly was devastating and left me empty and sad and agonizing at the same time. Such a strong emotional response. What triggered me even more, unexpectedly so, were the flowers in front of his house. I just stood there in complete silence and grief.

Now, for your question, I can easily see that point beeing the trigger for another creative fight between Neil and Troy, Baker mentioned it in an interview recently (first one being death of Joel's daughter in TLOU, which Troy infamously had to repeat after it was supposedly 'in the can' in his eyes). Troy probably stood by Joel The Survivor, Joel before Ellie, whereas Neil probably wanted him to feel more comfortable with people and cosier after five years. I mean his house tells the whole story for Joel in Part II, right? It's a silent cowboy mosaic that tells a tale of a man finding his inner piece because of his decision in TLOU, and because of Ellie. So, on one hand sure, why would he say his name? On the other, of course he's gonna say it, especially since Neil wants us to feel disappointed and angry and sad at the same time. We FEEL the unfairness of it all.

We want revenge.

But man, the pov switcheroo was remarkable. That's why I said to prince earlier this morning, Part II might be Druckmann's MGS2.

I was also trying to look ahead: Abby has potential and probably will grow as a character. And Joel ain't a saint. You as a player massacred the entire hospital to save one life, I'm sure Abby has a good reason to club him to death.
Edit: hate the mobile typos that I have to gradually fix lol

This game is insane.

CoolwhipSpecial wrote:
June 19th, 2020, 9:41 pm
This game is insane.
Welcome to insanity.

Allstar wrote:
June 19th, 2020, 2:49 am
Vader182 wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 5:24 pm
prince0gotham wrote:
June 18th, 2020, 4:55 pm
I see you want to scare another user away from the forum :T
bacon can take the heat

-Vader
Why is Bacon hating on this game so much before he’s even played it? Also, not sure why I’m being brought into this thread by others. :problem:
Lmao if you're able to read your name getting "brought into this thread," you're able to read the numerous posts about why I'm so hesitant to play this. Same exact reasons you were hesitant about TROS before going to the theater and PM'd me asking about the leaks.

EDIT:
This whole thing reminds me of Metroid: Other M, both the reasons why people love it and those that hate it.
Also kind of sucks to see so many people trying to use MGS2 as a reason for why this story rules, when MGS2 is in a completely different stratosphere.

Girlfriend reviews already did a Creep cover and it's so cool: