The Films Nolan should direct

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
A Borges man wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 1:19 pm
DUNKIRKIE wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 6:26 am
Realistically speaking, it will be difficult for Nolan to convince WB to make a Hughes biopic since the Aviator wasn't released THAT long ago.
The Aviator was released in 2004, and by the time the next Nolan movie being released, it will be nearly 20 years. (It now usaually takes him 3 years to make another movie) I kinda think this is long enough, no?
Agreed. Also, didn't Warren Beatty make a Howard Hughes movie like 3 years ago? No one talks about it, most haven't seen it. Also, I find it funny that people want him to do a bond movie, those come out every 3-5 years...but no, the aviator came out 20 years ago, not long enough.
That's because Daniel Craig is set to retire from James Bond. This means that a revamp is required. Nolan is also a huge, huge fan of the Bond franchise. Just like what he did for the Batman franchise, he could make the Bond movies BETTER than it is right now. Also, Nolan admittedly wasn't a great comic book expert or Batman for that matter. But he claims to know about Bond than Alan Patridge...if Barbara Brocolli managed to get Nolan to make a Bond movie, it's going to be the largest scale Bond movie we ever seen in our lives.

dragon_phoenix wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 3:40 pm
A Borges man wrote:
DUNKIRKIE wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 6:26 am

The Aviator was released in 2004, and by the time the next Nolan movie being released, it will be nearly 20 years. (It now usaually takes him 3 years to make another movie) I kinda think this is long enough, no?
Agreed. Also, didn't Warren Beatty make a Howard Hughes movie like 3 years ago? No one talks about it, most haven't seen it. Also, I find it funny that people want him to do a bond movie, those come out every 3-5 years...but no, the aviator came out 20 years ago, not long enough.
That's because Daniel Craig is set to retire from James Bond. This means that a revamp is required. Nolan is also a huge, huge fan of the Bond franchise. Just like what he did for the Batman franchise, he could make the Bond movies BETTER than it is right now. Also, Nolan admittedly wasn't a great comic book expert or Batman for that matter. But he claims to know about Bond than Alan Patridge...if Barbara Brocolli managed to get Nolan to make a Bond movie, it's going to be the largest scale Bond movie we ever seen in our lives.
The Brocollis will never give anyone creative control over that franchise...why would I want Nolan to suffer under a franchise that is so rigid. What makes a James Bond movie anyways? Set pieces? Spy-stuff (although dumb-down and not really related to espionage)? Stuff that Nolan has already done, better. Bond is so stale...Those movies are great time capsules. They represent the trends in filmmaking at the time they are being made. Nolan is a trendsetter. If Nolan makes a Bond movie, that only means bad things...that means Nolan isn't where he should be, and he is not in control.

A Borges man wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 4:34 pm
dragon_phoenix wrote:
A Borges man wrote:

The Brocollis will never give anyone creative control over that franchise...why would I want Nolan to suffer under a franchise that is so rigid. What makes a James Bond movie anyways? Set pieces? Spy-stuff (although dumb-down and not really related to espionage)? Stuff that Nolan has already done, better. Bond is so stale...Those movies are great time capsules. They represent the trends in filmmaking at the time they are being made. Nolan is a trendsetter. If Nolan makes a Bond movie, that only means bad things...that means Nolan isn't where he should be, and he is not in control.
I wouldn't call the Bond franchise rigid though...Even with the same source material, there's so much room for creativity. Look at how Nolan reinvigorated the Batman franchise. You probably also forgotten how much Nolan colloborated with others in Interstellar, Batman series. Inception and Dunkirk are probably the 2 movies in which he colloborated the least in terms of screenplay.

The Bond movies are very different from each other, apart from catch phrases like 'Shaken not stirred'. Look at how different the Roger Moore, Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig bond movies are different from each other.

Sam Mendes isn't exactly the kind of director he expect to direct a Bond movie. But he did and Skyfall performed really well.

dragon_phoenix wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 5:00 pm
A Borges man wrote:
dragon_phoenix wrote:

I wouldn't call the Bond franchise rigid though...Even with the same source material, there's so much room for creativity. Look at how Nolan reinvigorated the Batman franchise. You probably also forgotten how much Nolan colloborated with others in Interstellar, Batman series. Inception and Dunkirk are probably the 2 movies in which he colloborated the least in terms of screenplay.

The Bond movies are very different from each other, apart from catch phrases like 'Shaken not stirred'. Look at how different the Roger Moore, Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig bond movies are different from each other.

Sam Mendes isn't exactly the kind of director he expect to direct a Bond movie. But he did and Skyfall performed really well.
I mean Skyfall is indebted to Nolan in quite a few ways. And Mendes was rewarded for Skyfall's critical and financial success with Spectre, a movie that by all accounts was a terrible working experience...and movie I loathe. Also, Mendes is a very different director from Nolan, funny enough...Mendes is inconsistent, he is an award, prestige filmmaker without an identity...what makes a Sam Mendes movie? How great the cinematographer that he hires is? The fact that Deakins basically directs those movies.

Frankly, this conversation is useless...and I am to blame. I don't like James Bond movies, there are maybe four I genuinely like and the rest I can't stand (a batting average of 4/20 is pretty hilarious considering how much people like those movies. And also...I don't like Sam Mendes films (Road to Perdition is good....that is about it). I am one of those people who think Mendes has just been copying Nolan.

Mendes belongs in the same group of British blowhards that Joe Wright and the guy who made the King's Speech are in.

I would love a "Destiny"-lore-based film focused on Jacob Hardy, M. Mihaylova and Ulysses Qiao that found the Traveler and what happens after:

I think it would really fit his sci-fi-style (even though it's a video game).

Honestly, it would be a little disappointing if he makes an adaptation. Someone with these amazing stories shouldn't waste his time with pre-written ideas.

I think he will occasionally go back to the sci-fi genre, and a very intersting subject would be the non-euclidean worlds.

Here's a video with some ideas, but I imagine the possibilities are endless.

quervo wrote:
July 7th, 2020, 6:41 am
Honestly, it would be a little disappointing if he makes an adaptation. Someone with these amazing stories shouldn't waste his time with pre-written ideas.

I think he will occasionally go back to the sci-fi genre, and a very intersting subject would be the non-euclidean worlds.

Here's a video with some ideas, but I imagine the possibilities are endless.
100% Original Nolan till the end...with some awesome science stuff.

A Borges man wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 5:58 pm
dragon_phoenix wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 5:00 pm
A Borges man wrote:

I mean Skyfall is indebted to Nolan in quite a few ways. And Mendes was rewarded for Skyfall's critical and financial success with Spectre, a movie that by all accounts was a terrible working experience...and movie I loathe. Also, Mendes is a very different director from Nolan, funny enough...Mendes is inconsistent, he is an award, prestige filmmaker without an identity...what makes a Sam Mendes movie? How great the cinematographer that he hires is? The fact that Deakins basically directs those movies.

Frankly, this conversation is useless...and I am to blame. I don't like James Bond movies, there are maybe four I genuinely like and the rest I can't stand (a batting average of 4/20 is pretty hilarious considering how much people like those movies. And also...I don't like Sam Mendes films (Road to Perdition is good....that is about it). I am one of those people who think Mendes has just been copying Nolan.

Mendes belongs in the same group of British blowhards that Joe Wright and the guy who made the King's Speech are in.
I love Skyfall .. And guess what Sam Mendes stated that he took inspiration from TDK.. Starts makes sense to me

Why i always think Dennis Villenueve :D
Last edited by EyesWideShut on July 18th, 2020, 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Another spiritual sequel to Inception ! But of Tenet !

Taking on a genre that's usually full of suspense and action: check (Inception was heist Tenet is spy, just guess it lol)
Introducing a mysterious sci-fi element that serves as a set of rules the characters can interact with and get fucked up with: check
Asian lead actor: Steven Yeun (I mean come on now)
Shooting the film on 65mm/IMAX only, with that crazy way of processing the film: check
Several countries! check
Göransson back to score!
No pandemic!

Nomis wrote:
July 18th, 2020, 5:04 pm
Another spiritual sequel to Inception ! But of Tenet !

Taking on a genre that's usually full of suspense and action: check (Inception was heist Tenet is spy, just guess it lol)
Introducing a mysterious sci-fi element that serves as a set of rules the characters can interact with and get fucked up with: check
Asian lead actor: Steven Yeun (I mean come on now)
Shooting the film on 65mm/IMAX only, with that crazy way of processing the film: check
Several countries! check
Göransson back to score!
No pandemic!
The "Men in suits" trilogy :P What would be the third genre in your vision, other than heist or spy? Gangster (a sci-fi movie set in the world of triads or yakuza would be cool)? Thriller (with detectives and a sci-fi hook for the serial killer)? Maybe horror?