Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Tarssauce wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 2:45 pm
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 1:57 pm
Do you think WB wants to get in the same trouble as Universal did regarding post-Trolls release statements? There is a coveted window of time for which movies can't release on home video after its theatrical endeavors.
That’s why I said they should respect the theatrical window which is (90 days). They shouldn’t delay the home media release any further. Dunkirk came out after five months.
Ah, gotcha! By "window," I thought you just meant when it's no longer playing in theaters.

I think Nolan likes to release his films on home video (not digital) early December to make it a decent Christmas item. I actually do wait the extra couple of weeks to make sure to get his films for Christmas, and I've done it with every one of them since The Dark Knight.

Digital release? Yeah, they can go earlier... don't know if it would make sense to release digital in, say, October while the UHD/Blu-ray releases in December, though. The whole strategy may have to change, but I'll be patient for that one either way. It's the theatrical experience that's needed first!

antovolk wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 2:27 pm
Resolving systemic racism may be a bigger priority than a Christopher Nolan film..but that's a topic for another thread
Yeahh resolving systemic racism like defunding the police???..killing retired black cop???, burn black owned business you mean??...LOL

Ohhh c'mon lads... the lately circumtaces is just like what happened in the scene from TDKR.

Yeahhh cant wait seeing tenet's footage on inception screening..

JohnnyTheKid wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 2:50 pm
antovolk wrote:
Resolving systemic racism may be a bigger priority than a Christopher Nolan film..but that's a topic for another thread
Yeahh resolving systemic racism like defunding the police???..killing retired black cop???, burn black owned business you mean??...LOL

Ohhh c'mon lads... the lately circumtaces is just like what happened in the scene from TDKR.
This is not the thread for this. Please, stop.

The twitter mob will attack anyone who is not playing it 'safe'. Nolan will likely makeless money if Tenet is release earlier.

DHOPW42 wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 2:56 pm
JohnnyTheKid wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 2:50 pm
antovolk wrote:

This is not the thread for this. Please, stop.
Ok mate Roger that :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup:

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 2:47 pm
Ah, gotcha! By "window," I thought you just meant when it's no longer playing in theaters.

I think Nolan likes to release his films on home video (not digital) early December to make it a decent Christmas item. I actually do wait the extra couple of weeks to make sure to get his films for Christmas, and I've done it with every one of them since The Dark Knight.

Digital release? Yeah, they can go earlier... don't know if it would make sense to release digital in, say, October while the UHD/Blu-ray releases in December, though. The whole strategy may have to change, but I'll be patient for that one either way. It's the theatrical experience that's needed first!
It does seem like a Christmas gift. I mean his movies do stay a long time in theaters so it wouldn’t be wise to rush the home release. And it makes sense because we’re talking about the champion of the theatrical experience. But now is not the time to do that.

I think digital usually comes out a two or three weeks earlier than digital. For Dunkirk it was only one week.

I've said this before - ideally before the COVID associated health risk to moviegoing goes away, pushing for the traditional 90 day(US)/16 week(UK) theatrical window is frankly not right morally and ethically. Theatres and studios should come up with a solution, even if it's a temporary one.

AMC at their latest earnings call said the Universal spat was a money issue. Maybe that's all it takes, studios to cut in the cinemas for rentals during the traditional 90 day window. That's what Sean Parker's Screening Room was proposing and what the indie sector is doing right now (if you're in the US, go to Neon's website and you can watch Shirley while supporting your local arthouse).

To be frank, COVID is accelerating what seemed inevitable to me for ages, cinema becoming a more speciality experience in general, be it IMAX "theme park" or arthouse "quality". The focus on experience, maybe with higher prices. Hell, even Nolan suggested the same in his WSJ. That's how cinemas really should be adapting to the future instead of fighting it. How they can differentiate when a film is available in the home. That's what the indie sector has been doing for so long...

So as much as I hate to say it as someone aspiring to work in the industry, let it all fucking burn and rebuild

DHOPW42 wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 1:56 pm
What if... once the theatrical run is over in theory, they release it immediately on home platforms... BUT they're still playing it in theatres for those who'd like to experience it there as well? Would that be conceivable, or would that sort of strategy be out of the question completely?
This sounds like a perfect plan to me. They’d get more money from me, because I would see it opening weekend and maybe a few more time after that depending on how busy I am, and then as soon as it came out on VOD I would purchase on iTunes and then probably see it again in the theater over Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, assuming it’s still playing in theaters. Then I’d purchase the Blu-ray around Christmastime. They’d be taking like well over a hundred bucks from me. :o

Don’t know if this would work for the general audience though, this is just my opinion as a huge Nolan fan and major film buff who hasn’t been to the theater since September.

Honestly, that sounds depressing.

I wish movie theaters would at least let the movies come out on VOD day and date temporarily. But even if WB is okay with that, what would Nolan say?

I’m not going to lie - I feel that countries like the US and the UK take cinema for granted. People definitely have their reasons not to go and they are free to do whatever they feel like doing, but as someone who grew up without cinemas around, and as someone who had to travel a lot in the past three years to catch a very tiny number of movies on the big screen, I can’t even find a word for this feeling.

Since 2018, few cinemas have finally opened here. Tickets sell out very fast. Theaters filled to full capacity on most screens. It’s a market that has just began to grow here so talking about the death of the current form of cinema is fascinating to me.

This.