Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Exactly, Ruth. I think it's unfair to exclude cinemas when almost everything opens. A movie theater is painted as the most dangerous place to be right now and I don't think that's entirely true. Restaurants and gyms are re-opening without much resistance or heat from the press and general public.

Also, I think WB and Nolan should release Tenet for home media immediately once the theatrical window is over. But even so, it''ll be out in November (if it doesn't move from its current date). Nolan's movies play for months at theaters - even when they become available elsewhere.

I think WB releasing Inception is a smart move. Give people time to accept that a movie theater is not as dangerous as they might think. If all goes well, release Tenet.

What if... once the theatrical run is over in theory, they release it immediately on home platforms... BUT they're still playing it in theatres for those who'd like to experience it there as well? Would that be conceivable, or would that sort of strategy be out of the question completely?

Tarssauce wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 1:42 pm
Also, I think WB and Nolan should release Tenet for home media immediately once the theatrical window is over. But even so, it''ll be out in November (if it doesn't move from its current date). Nolan's movies play for months at theaters - even when they become available elsewhere.
Do you think WB wants to get in the same trouble as Universal did regarding post-Trolls release statements? There is a coveted window of time for which movies can't release on home video after its theatrical endeavors.

Tarssauce wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 1:42 pm
Exactly, Ruth. I think it's unfair to exclude cinemas when almost everything opens. A movie theater is painted as the most dangerous place to be right now and I don't think that's entirely true. Restaurants and gyms are re-opening without much resistance or heat from the press and general public.
In public consciousness, arts seem very expendable. Imo definitely a key factor here.

DHOPW42 wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 1:34 pm
Ruth wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 12:58 pm
Whatever the outcome is, you cannot convince me sitting 2hrs inside a theater is less safe than eating at a restaurant or going to the gym.
You are probably right - I think the only real problem with releases like Tenet is the pressure put on audiences to go and see it; you're not really afraid of missing out on a dinner or even the gym, as opposed to the latest film of one of the most popular filmmaker's alive.
Once again, if you (not you directly lol) are so adamant about the dangers of movie theaters amidst a global pandemic and you don’t want to go, but Tenet is what’s pressuring you to change your mind and go, then this sort of decision making seems questionable at best. If, let’s say, this started in July/August, and had a months long theatrical window, imo the pressure definitely lessens over time as more and more people would be able to see it in theaters. Unless a second wave were to cut this short, which is a probability.

Idk, over here in the UK all the lifts of the lockdown - today we had non essential shops opening - have had negative 'is it too soon' from many on Twitter and amongst the press... They are definitely getting the heat, even more than the current 'don't release Tenet in July' backlash, from what I've been seeing.

antovolk wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 1:59 pm
Idk, over here in the UK all the lifts of the lockdown - today we had non essential shops opening - have had negative 'is it too soon' from many on Twitter and amongst the press... They are definitely getting the heat, even more than the current 'don't release Tenet in July' backlash, from what I've been seeing.
Yeahh because nowdays make chaos like protest and rioting are more essenttial than opening the shops...LOL

I dont know why there are somebody still buy those hypocrites media/politician narrative..

Resolving systemic racism may be a bigger priority than a Christopher Nolan film..but that's a topic for another thread

JohnnyTheKid wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 2:23 pm
antovolk wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 1:59 pm
Yeahh because nowdays make chaos like protest and rioting are more essenttial than opening the shops...LOL

I dont know why there are somebody still buy those hypocrites media/politician narrative..
maybe because people are protesting for their lives you ignorant douchenozzle

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 1:57 pm
Do you think WB wants to get in the same trouble as Universal did regarding post-Trolls release statements? There is a coveted window of time for which movies can't release on home video after its theatrical endeavors.
Of course not. And Nolan obviously sides with theaters on this. That’s why I said they should respect the theatrical window which is (90 days). They shouldn’t delay the home media release any further. Dunkirk came out after five months.

I guess that view on arts will never change. I have conversations about that (even before COVID-19) constantly. I personally think gyms are much, much more dangerous than movie theaters. Tight and crowded places with machines and equipment constantly used by different people. Not a place I want to be right but there are a lot of people out there who want to go and will go.

@Antovolk
I guess I based my comment on the US press and maybe I’m only getting articles about cinemas which skewed my point of view. But it’s an interesting thing considering the UK is relatively doing ‘better’ than the US by a mile, so I’d except more outrage there. Although I did read headlines concerning the protest but can’t remember if I read anything about restaurants or gyms.
Last edited by Tarssauce on June 15th, 2020, 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

antovolk wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 2:27 pm
Resolving systemic racism may be a bigger priority than a Christopher Nolan film..but that's a topic for another thread
Doesn't help when you take the whole world aback in a virus that does not discriminate... but that's a topic for another thread.

#ohyeahandimblackbtw