Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
radewart wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 12:00 pm
The constant announcing of release dates and then changing them by studios is/will wreaking havoc on stock prices of both theatre companies and film studios which further complicates financial matters for companies like AMC. If WB is going to push Tenet again closer to release time, it would be real bad. It would be better to just further push back now.
"Sometimes the truth isn't good enough, sometimes people deserve more. Sometimes people deserve to have their faith rewarded"

Apparently pushed to Aug 13 in Brazil, WW84's old slot. Wonder if that's got to do with cinemas not opening there in time for Jul 31 tho or if it's indicative of a further global delay

I’m guessing the former just because of the close proximity of announcement to the initial delay to July 31, it doesn’t make sense to backpedal so soon. And like you’ve noted Brazil is in pretty bad shape with no indication or action plan to combat COVID-19 hence not much will change in 6 weeks for them, making Tenet’s July release bot feasible
Last edited by intersteIIarx on June 15th, 2020, 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

antovolk wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 12:05 pm
Changing the distance to 1m will help with increasing capacity limits from the 25-50% so something more like 50-75%...that's why the hospitality sector - including I presume the UK cinemas - has been pushing the government to review it this week.

If Tenet goes, I guess it will then be a slower start from September onwards with A Quiet Place 2, then WW84 in October, and Black Widow/Bond in November. And the survival of theaters is exactly the dilemma. Many might not survive being shut down that long. That's why Nolan is doing this in the first place. But is there a solution that can work and still have cinema shutdowns until a genuinely safer time? Some here suggested lobbying for government bailouts of the sector...or do we just let it all burn and change up with the studios fully vertically integrating or likes of Amazon, as rumoured, acquiring AMC and whoever else goes down?
Reducing the social distance sounds like a terrible idea. Yes, it helps business by increasing revenues but by doing that you’re making the whole endeavor even riskier. People were already unsure about 2 meters, so they might react badly to this.

There has to be a compromise to get out of this mind boggling situation, but who will make the sacrifice?

-Theaters won’t allow VOD day and date (ref. AMC vs. Universal) which is both selfish and understandable. Nolan sides with theaters obviously.

-Government bailout (I don’t know much about) but that could help immensely.

-The audience: theaters could open gradually. Movies should come put as planned. The catch is spoilers and some piracy but that’s temporary.

No one seems willing to make a sacrifice. WB and Nolan are but it might not be enough if other parties don’t help as well.

This is will be taught in schools once it’s over. It’ll be in an economics book whatever the outcome will be.

In Australia the cinema rules are under 50 people per theatre and 4 square metres apart. Masks are not mandatory and concessions are as usual but via a cashless system. Cinemas are opening next week and I expect great success considering next week is school holidays ( break) meaning after months of staying at home, families are now allowed to go on holidays and relax and there’s no school. It’ll be a big test to see how cinemas manage the health risk and whether we see spikes or not

That’s another important point. Theaters again... you can’t have the cake and eat it too. Masks must be mandatory for this to work. I’ve always had an issue with concessions being the most profitable part about the movie experience.

Realistically, if the virus spreads with air as in people just breathing out, then masks don’t do much in that case. We really need scientists conducting actual experiments about this. NATO should sponsor this and hire scientists to do extensive research and if the outcome is positive it will give them so much support and credibility.

At least AMC is working with Harvard scientists, certainly a positive compared to UK chains and trade bodies are are, I quote, "relying on the government to be all over the science"

Whatever the outcome is, you cannot convince me sitting 2hrs inside a theater is less safe than eating at a restaurant or going to the gym.

It’s all about having a choice - yes, reopening is tied to a realistic risk of rising number of cases, hence should be done carefully and only with strict hygiene/safety policies in place, but as with restaurants and gyms and similar places, people can make the informed choice of going/not going at their own will. Spoilers should be completely out of the equation here. If a movie possibly getting spoiled to you is worthy of risking your life and going to a movie theater at a sooner date than you’d normally want, you’re looking at this the wrong way. WB should attempt working out a more flexible timeline of theatrical release/VOD release, other than “see this now or wait till december!”.

They need to stop worrying about the opening weekend numbers. If released on-schedule this movie will run in theaters through Christmas.

Ruth wrote:
June 15th, 2020, 12:58 pm
Whatever the outcome is, you cannot convince me sitting 2hrs inside a theater is less safe than eating at a restaurant or going to the gym.
You are probably right - I think the only real problem with releases like Tenet is the pressure put on audiences to go and see it; you're not really afraid of missing out on a dinner or even the gym, as opposed to the latest film of one of the most popular filmmaker's alive.