Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
StuFish wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 6:44 am
I wouldn’t be surprised if Tenet got pushed back a week or two at the moment and cinemas come down on hard on people wearing masks and limiting the number of people in each theatre (alternate rows and only having people from the same household sit together).
One or two week is really not a big deal, if that's the case, they can premiere it on 15-17th of July, where cinemas are ready, and push it back where they are not. A month delay can be global, but I always thought Tenet keeps its original release date. I think it stays.

StuFish wrote:
I wouldn’t be surprised if Tenet got pushed back a week or two at the moment and cinemas come down on hard on people wearing masks and limiting the number of people in each theatre (alternate rows and only having people from the same household sit together).
the issue is how will they police this though. How can they guarantee people don't just take off their masks as soon as the film starts or sneak in snacks?

intersteIIarx wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 7:04 am
StuFish wrote:
the issue is how will they police this though. How can they guarantee people don't just take off their masks as soon as the film starts or sneak in snacks?
“Sneak in snacks”?

They can take of their mask to eat during the movie, just put it on when they’re not.

There is absolutely no way theaters will enforce a “no snack” rule. Concessions are where they make their big money, not admissions. They might as well not open if they shut down concession operations.

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 7:09 am
intersteIIarx wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 7:04 am
StuFish wrote:
“Sneak in snacks”?

They can take of their mask to eat during the movie, just put it on when they’re not.

There is absolutely no way theaters will enforce a “no snack” rule. Concessions are where they make their big money, not admissions. They might as well not open if they shut down concession operations.
why are you putting it in quotation marks like that. Lol its a legit thing that happens whether concession stands are open or not. It's inevitable whether we like it or not.

Also the idea of taking off a mask to eat then putting it back on defeats the whole purpose. You might has well not even wear a mask in the first place. Taking off your mask to eat is dumb as hell, first of all you're likely to get your hands in or around your mouth AND when people eat they can spray droplets.

intersteIIarx wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 7:34 am
why are you putting it in quotation marks like that. Lol its a legit thing that happens whether concession stands are open or not. It's inevitable whether we like it or not.
I wasn't "putting it in quotation marks like that." Just like I did it now, I'm doing it to indicate they were your words, not mine.

It sounded to me like sneaking in snacks was a result of theaters prohibiting snacks, which is something they won't be doing.

Also the idea of taking off a mask to eat then putting it back on defeats the whole purpose. You might has well not even wear a mask in the first place. Taking off your mask to eat is dumb as hell, first of all you're likely to get your hands in or around your mouth AND when people eat they can spray droplets.
Hey, I'm personally not going to do it. But no, removing your mask for a few seconds at a time is not equivalent to not wearing a mask at all. You're still attempting to minimize your exposure, and the mask does that. That's like saying that if you ever had to take off your seatbelt while driving for a brief second because [insert reason here], you might as well just not wear one at all the entire drive.

But you're right, eating is a considerable risk because of the area you touch around you and then transmitting hands to mouth. This is why theaters aren't open yet, though: they have to figure out the logistics of everything. You can bet there will be cleaning crews doing heavy duty work between showings (including on arm rests if they're able), they're probably filtrating the ventilation systems, before the film you'll see advisories on wearing the mask and keeping your hands to yourself as much as possible, etc. They have about another week to plan that out, train their employees, and be ready at the beginning of July. This isn't going to be easy.

That being said, as I mentioned, I never buy food at theaters anyway and I won't here. Eat before or after, leave your mask on, huddle into a hoodie, and enjoy the show.

Happy 100th post, btw.

Vox cinemas will have people guiding audiences enter and exist the theaters. And to make sure people keep their masks on, cinemas all over the world should have an employee monitoring each screening and have people informed that they would be removed if they don’t wear their masks.

And by the way, wearing a mask has nothing to do with exposure as the virus is so tiny it can still penetrate the mask (even if it’s a N95). What it does is it limits the spread of droplets of the ones who have it and since we cannot tell who does and who doesn’t everyone must wear one.

quervo wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 6:57 am
StuFish wrote:
One or two week is really not a big deal, if that's the case, they can premiere it on 15-17th of July, where cinemas are ready, and push it back where they are not. A month delay can be global, but I always thought Tenet keeps its original release date. I think it stays.
I’m guessing we will find out soon. As WB will have to make a decision soon, as whatever happens with Tenet will probably have an effect on WW84 (which I think is mid August now) and maybe Dune too. If the summer window is completely wiped out.

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 7:49 am

Hey, I'm personally not going to do it. But no, removing your mask for a few seconds at a time is not equivalent to not wearing a mask at all. You're still attempting to minimize your exposure, and the mask does that. That's like saying that if you ever had to take off your seatbelt while driving for a brief second because [insert reason here], you might as well just not wear one at all the entire drive.

But you're right, eating is a considerable risk because of the area you touch around you and then transmitting hands to mouth. This is why theaters aren't open yet, though: they have to figure out the logistics of everything. You can bet there will be cleaning crews doing heavy duty work between showings (including on arm rests if they're able), they're probably filtrating the ventilation systems, before the film you'll see advisories on wearing the mask and keeping your hands to yourself as much as possible, etc. They have about another week to plan that out, train their employees, and be ready at the beginning of July. This isn't going to be easy.

That being said, as I mentioned, I never buy food at theaters anyway and I won't here. Eat before or after, leave your mask on, huddle into a hoodie, and enjoy the show.

Happy 100th post, btw.

yeah the logistics and protocols will be fine-tuned as we go and definitely the first few days and week will be a trial run of sorts. I don't know how it'll work in the US but here in Australia, the only guidelines we're privy to are:
- max 50 people per theatre (so definitely under 25% capacity in comparison to the US)
- mask is not mandatory
- social distancing seating
- increased cleaning between sessions
- hand sanitiser stations
- candybar (concessions) as usual

I know I still don't feel safe going to see Tenet without a mask and gloves, so I'll be wearing both and won't eat. To be honest I won't be going to the cinemas for the foreseeable future other than once for Tenet in July.

Tarssauce wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 6:37 am
Theaters have been open since May in Dubai and are re-opening soon in other countries. As of now, it doesn’t seem as dangerous as some are suggesting. Did Dubai conquer Corona? No. Are they trying to go back to “normal” with extra measures to prevent the virus from spreading? Yes.

I agree there’s a risk of getting the virus but I personally don’t think the risk is that much higher than going out for any reason right now. Postponing it any further doesn’t make sense to me because I don’t think the virus will be eradicated by August or even October. It’ll always be there.
If I was in Dubai right now I would be hell of a lot more confident than I am here in the UK. The problem really comes down to the virus response in these specific countries - the UK and the US. We're still at 1000 cases per day and 200 deaths a day.

Theaters have been open where I’m at since early May. Masks are not required except for employees. I guess some people want to sit for three hours with a mask on, but I know I don’t. Sorry if this offends anyone.