David Lynch's Twin Peaks

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I kinda want to revisit season 3, I feel like it's time.

m4st4 wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 3:08 am
I kinda want to revisit season 3, I feel like it's time.
Aaand just ordered season 3 slipcase blu to finally finish the collection and revisit this. Been thinking about it in my dreams.

Episode 4 of my season 3 rewatch and man, almost forgot how comedic the whole Dougie Jones thing is, Lynch is great in balancing the quirky with the dark, emotional, dramatic and melancholic. I'm appreciating all of the details anew and really want to dig in deeper into all the lore this time round.

Just finished this and omg what stunning, total, gargantuan work. And I didn’t even like the original series and FWWM that much. Funny to read the divisive reactions to the finale back then, just a few pages back.

anarchy wrote:
June 5th, 2020, 7:03 pm
Just finished this and omg what stunning, total, gargantuan work. And I didn’t even like the original series and FWWM that much. Funny to read the divisive reactions to the finale back then, just a few pages back.
i will defend the return until the day i die

-Vader

Binge watching this reeeeally helps if you were, like myself, lost midway through due to waiting for Dougie to transform into Coop. Specific mindset going into Twin Peaks is mandatory as well. You need to be aware of the entirety of the original but also in the right mood to watch it, and open minded. Everything flows superbly and Lynch balances all of his usual ingredients like a true master he is. Not only that, this might be his finest meal. There, I said it. I am constantly chuckling, gripping my teeth, nervously blinking and rethinking everything. With constant throwbacks to Lynch's earlier works, this is a culmination of his career, no doubt about it. I still have about ten or so episodes to go.

Quick glance at 'Gotta light?' episode: yup, still 2001 moment for television.

Not many understand that the secret sauce of s03 isn't the coffee, or the pie, it's Jennifer Jason Leigh, like in great many movies she's been.

Yeah, I should plan a rewatch soon too. It's been at least a year since the last time.

Episode eleven of The Return is a perfect example of how Lynch's cinematic surrealism works. We go from a generational family drama in the diner, to an ominous gun accident across the street, to absurd and terrifying case of a woman honking the horn while her zombie like kid is vomiting green on her lap. In that same episode a headless woman has coordinates tatooed on her arm, a cherry pie finds its way both in a mafioso's dream and Dougie's reality and Diane says 'Fuck you Albert', twice, because we are so blessed. Final sequence in the bar is both melancholic and mysterious in nature. Little life things that hold us together, like that damn good cherry pie and a good drink, are tied together by forces that aren't as easy to decode. Like Candie's (completely underrated Amy Shiels) distant stare. Or the piano music evocative of all the good things from the past. This is a series beyond just television, it's reinventing television anew, 25 years later. And folks might start to notice on a grander scale only 25 years into future. History repeats itself, like with every great piece of art.

So... What are everybody's thoughts on the finale after three years? Final episode specifically I mean. I need to check out the initial reactions first.
Bacon wrote:
February 24th, 2020, 5:14 pm
Went out and bought the Complete Television DVD set for $25. Had a $25 Target gift card burning a hole in my pocket.

Starting the series today.

This was in February, what happened after?