Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
spade wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 2:01 am
Add the films of Ritwik Ghatak(The Cloud-Capped star and A River called Titas) and Guru Dutt(Pyaasa and Kaagaz ke Phool) to your watchlist. Titas is available on the criterion channel under Scorsese's World cinema project.
Then there is Guide from 1965. Do not watch the 2 hour English language version.
And among recent releases there's the two parter Gangs of Wasseypur.
If you want art house/experimental stuff, go for Duvidha.

These are some very obvious suggestions, but still a good place to begin with. Meanwhile you can continue exploring Ray's entire filmography, I'm about to reach the 1/3rd mark.
Thanks for the suggestions! I’ve seen The Cloud-Capped Star, but I’ll definitely be checking out the other ones. It seems like every Indian movie is so popular, so it’s hard for me to figure out which ones are actually worth watching and which ones people like just because they’re entertaining and fun (like watching Hobbs & Shaw from the US). Not that there’s anything wrong with being entertained, I just want to watch films that are important or may have an impact on me in some way. Maybe all Indian movies are just excellent?! :lol:

Road to Perdition

Prolly like my 5th viewing. Still incredible, and I’m not sure there’s another film like it. A quiet gangster film about the father/son experience with the flow and pace of a poem.

Also Paul Newman fucking rules

ChristNolan wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 11:08 am
Road to Perdition

Prolly like my 5th viewing. Still incredible, and I’m not sure there’s another film like it. A quiet gangster film about the father/son experience with the flow and pace of a poem.

Thomas Newman's best score imo, and a top 5 score of all time for me.

Birds of Prey

Had so much fun with this. But the third act is weak and the child actress is terrible. Still, my favourite DC movie since Rises.

Kingdom of Heaven (director's cut): Second time I saw this. First time was some six years ago. I think much more highly of this film now than I did then.
While I still think they could've had a better lead than Bloom, most of his lines and leadership only really venture at the films climax. There it's felt best that they needed someone with a lot more gravitas. Still, it's not a bad performance, he's just outshone by the likes of Irons, Neeson, Massoud, Thewlis, Norton and Green. Speaking of which, Norton conveys King Baldwin IVs wisdom, presence and respect he's earned so very well. I really think this is one of Norton's finest performances. A great feat considering we only see his eyes. Green is terrific too, she's mesmerizingly beautiful as always and she strikes a chord that is honest and affective. Her inner desire of ruling and her horror when it comes to her son are both so deeply rooted emotional feelings of her character, it's as if she's had decades of experience in film beforehand.
But I think Scott is one of the MVPs of this film as well. He keeps the momentum up, knows when to slow down and let the characters live and breathe and when to pull you into the action. I think Scott is both a great storyteller and filmmaker but with his best films it aligns and he's both. I think Kingdom of Heaven definitely belongs to his best films. The costumes, cinematography, production design and score are all beautiful. It's already a fifteen year old film but it looks as if it was made today.

Love the score in the movie ♡

North by Northwest.

Perhaps the movie that inspired Bond movies and modern day spy movies. The movie is full of twists and turns which I think influenced Nolan quite a bit.

I have always been a fan of Hitchcock but I didn't heard of this film until I read the initial marketing of Tenet - which has been described as a fusion between North by Northwest and Inception.

This is certainly one of Hitchcock's better films, despite it being released before Psycho.

ChristNolan wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 11:08 am
Road to Perdition

And Conrad Hall!

Heat

Al Pacino's performance was a joy to watch. De Niro was pretty good as well. The relationships were done well. Also, solid movie. Definitely worth it just for Al Pacino's performance alone

The Godfather: Part II, still the GOAT.