Camera - What do you use

For those that have dreams of making films!

Moderator: Erik

if you need a camera for a single project and don't want to pursue cinematography further just borrow one from a friend.

Forum Pro
Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 12:33 pm
if you need a camera for a single project and don't want to pursue cinematography further just borrow one from a friend.
While I don’t want to pursue cinematography, I do want to star shooting my own content more and as a producer having a camera on hand will save me a lot of money.

Forum Pro
Decided to buy the Black Magic 4K. I believe they go back in stock on the 19th. I’ll pair the camera with the Sigma 18-35mm lens.

I thought about buying the 6K but that could cause me to upgrade my entire computer system otherwise, I wouldn’t be able to wrangle the footage.

AC’d on the LF this weekend - camera is nuts. we shot open gate and it gives big IMAX chris nolan vibes.

i feel bad for all the 1st’s pulling on this thing LOL it’s gonna be the new industry workhorse and DP’s are gonna get back on their 5D era full frame shooting wide open bullshit

that's pretty cool

still have no idea how shooting anamorphic on LF open gate works and what that would look like

wonder if Deakins shot open gate on 1917, those shots in the trenches would benefit from the extra height tbh, it already looks amazing of course but still, would love to see it

That sounds exciting.

I think the S35 Alexa with the Zeiss Master Primes mix results in IMAX like images - that sharpness and beautiful round bokeh. I want to do some dolly shots whenever I finally get to make short films again - preferably wide open and I'm already wondering how I'll pull focus correctly and cheaply lol.

Wish Blackmagic would experiment with bigger sensors than their ridiculous 12K camera. What's the point of all that resolution? I'd rather get enhanced color science, dynamic range and a bigger sensor.

Anyway, I'll definitely get my hands on the BMPCC 6K someday.

yeah i mean the LF is the best looking digital camera i’ve ever worked with and it’s 4.5k

we’ve reached (pixel) resolution cap and the people on youtube and anywhere else who say otherwise are dumb

the upscaled 4k in the regular alexa still looks better the the 8/12k reds imo

I mean I know it's not all about the higher the res the better but what is it that makes the LF so good, more 'sophisticated' pixels?

also I read that Fraser had specially made lenses for The Batman, called ALFA, wonder if those make it able for him to shoot in total darkness so we can all see dark frames with only one inch on screen in focus ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
still <3 fraser

I guess filmmakers like Fincher who like to re-frame shots or do zoom effects in post would benefit from 12K. I’m not against the extra resolution as a downsampled/downscaled image would look much cleaner and more detailed (imo), but yeah resolution and pixels alone do not make great images.

I can shoot 4K with my phone but it wouldn’t ever compare to an upscaled 2K image shot on the Alexa. The color depth, the detail in the highlights and the shadows contributes so much. Who cares about the Ks when the footage looks like crap because of compression and lack of latitude and detail?

Speaking of Red, the Komodo honestly looks so great. Arri cameras are unbeatable though. Wish I could play around with one. (Come on, Arri, give us an affordable small camera). I’ve seen a video by Indy Mogul where they overexpose shots on purpose and it’s amazing how they could still retain detail and end up with usable shots. That’s incredible.

According to DOP Steve Yedlin, the eye can’t even tell the difference between 2K and 4K when you’re sitting far away from a cinema screen - but I think extra resolution would come in handy if the goal is to fill the giant IMAX screens (1.43:1) I don’t know how the dual 4K laser is holding up projecting the 4K DCPs. Seems like it’s good enough but I wonder if the extra resolution would be beneficial.

I’ve been visiting Roger Deakins’ forum. It’s like a free cinematography course lol.

@Nomis
bigger sensors usually mean shallower depth of field and a wider field of view. Plus, better low light performance so ideally less noisy images.

filmmakers should have to submit an essay on why they need more than 1080 if they want to use it