Trailer #3

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Forum Pro
Law
DHOPW42 wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 8:21 am
Law wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 8:12 am
DUNKIRKIE wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 11:06 pm
So what exactly is the relationship between Debicki and the boys she kisses. I don't feel that he is Debicki's son because she seems a little young to be a mother.
The setting looks like the 1940's so I'm assuming, that you're assuming, that we're assuming............
But... what makes it 1940s? This is the first time I hear about this, and I just don't see it.
Just my opinion really, looks like he's in a catholic school. Maybe not the 40's but definitely 50's or 60's. The boy's uniform reflects that. Blazer, shorts, high dress socks and oxfords.

DHOPW42 wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 8:21 am
But... what makes it 1940s? This is the first time I hear about this, and I just don't see it.
Quote me when the movie comes out :
Debicki is Branagh's mother!
On a more serious note, this scene is so different from all the others: colors, emotions, context. Every other moment in the trailer screams Inception/James Bond, but that small scene looks like a random BBC drama in a small English town of the 50's/60's.

If you ever set foot in London and you went by Westminster Abbey, you could see a private school were pupils run around in those garments each and every day... also: those schoolbags with the blue and red colors don't look too 1940 for me :D

Samuel R. Jankis wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 11:09 pm
DUNKIRKIE wrote:
So what exactly is the relationship between Debicki and the boys she kisses. I don't feel that he is Debicki's son because she seems a little young to be a mother.
Isn’t she about 30 in real life?
She turned 29 during filming. She would have to be like 19 when she had the kid, because he looks about 10 to me. She's too young to play the mother of a child that age, but that happens in movies all the time.

Forum Pro
Law
marshallmurphy wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 8:39 am
Samuel R. Jankis wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 11:09 pm
DUNKIRKIE wrote:
Isn’t she about 30 in real life?
She turned 29 during filming. She would have to be like 19 when she had the kid, because he looks about 10 to me. She's too young to play the mother of a child that age, but that happens in movies all the time.
It also... dun dun dun, happens in real life

DHOPW42 wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 8:34 am
If you ever set foot in London and you went by Westminster Abbey, you could see a private school were pupils run around in those garments each and every day... also: those schoolbags with the blue and red colors don't look too 1940 for me :D
Exactly, could not agree more :) and also as far as I remember from the set photos in London,
on that location Debicki was also with JDW. So it’s happening in present time

pk12 wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 9:04 am
Exactly, could not agree more :) and also as far as I remember from the set photos in London,
Also struck me that Branagh is Russian :lol: Nevermind then :oops:

Flutterby wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 9:08 am
pk12 wrote:
But what I initially thought..but not sure how plausible that is
that Debicki and Branagh characters are married and that's their son

Flutterby wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 6:27 am
DHOPW42 wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 5:45 am
Regarding the prologue and some of your theories...
I agree it SEEMS like that mysterious person could be JDW, especially since his face is deliberately concealed. That is one "twist" we could all see coming, and I can even see it being true. I have two concerns, though, when it comes to this particular theory:

1. If we were to believe Robert Pattinson, JDW's character in the trailer and even Emma Thomas said this, I think, that there is no traditional time travel in the film, then this couldn't happen, right? JDW going back in time to save himself sounds pretty much your traditional, Back to the Futuresque time travel.

2. Also, Nolan already did the same exact thing in Interstellar with Cooper communicating with his daughter in the past. The same format followed: in the first few scenes we get weird and mysterious occurences that turn out to be a person from the future. I just think that Nolan wouldn't go down that route once again, but I could be totally wrong.

My proposal is that the identity of that mysterious guy in the prologue isn't a big twist at all, there's going to be no reveal. My proposal is that it's just a random agent from this "time inversion" group who wants to recruit JDW anyway, and he sees that he is in a tight situation, so he saves his ass - with time inversion. The question remains why his face is concealed then, but if it was REALLY JDW or any other main character from the film - coming back from the future to save the protagonist - then it pretty much negates my points above.

This concerns the other theory regarding Debicki and the kid as well, because that would also include time travel in the traditional sense.
Great insights man! :twothumbsup:

One thing I wouldn't focus on too much is Nolan reusing things he's done already. I mean come on, watch that Tenet trailer. It screams Inception 2 except it's time instead of dreams. It's my only fear: I really hope it won't be too much like something we've seen (in terms of plot I mean).

The complexity and the directing must has the similarity/influence from his previous works...that's what we love about nolan's works

“I can't say much about the plot, but yes, time is an important element again this time. This is not a traditional time travel movie. I would say that in the same way that Inception went a step further in the genre of heist movies. Tenet will be an advance in the genre of spies. ” Emma Thomas

pk12 wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 9:17 am
Flutterby wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 9:08 am
pk12 wrote:
But what I initially thought..but not sure how plausible that is
that Debicki and Branagh characters are married and that's their son
i think that’s the most likely outcome lol

also it’s already been disputed by others, but the scene really does not look like it was set in the 40s. Debicki’s outfit gives it away. the school uniform is a regular thing amongst UK’s public (private) schools and the whole style just seems like your upper middle or upper class attire