Prologue

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
That is a major find, rotas, holy crap!

I put together this video so people can see the differences
EDIT: Found a clip that debunks this theory. They're not the same SWAT guys. First SWAT guy gets shot, and you see his body as the second SWAT comes into frame.

https://streamable.com/1cpb6v
Last edited by hotsauce32 on May 22nd, 2020, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hotsauce32 wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 2:08 pm

Well, at first I was beside this theory, but now I'm against it. The trailer's footage is a bit longer (you can measure it with the steps JDW takes). Long enough to show us the swat guy's collapse, while in the prologue's footage it is cut right before he gets the shot. When we change our view back (in the prologue) we can see a swat guy there, but he's not the same.

edit: I managed to find a spot where I can freeze the same frame in the trailer and in the prologue, and they perfectly overlap each other. There's no way an actor and hundreds of extras can do the exact same movement twice. So the trick was the lenght of the shot.

quervo wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 2:36 pm
hotsauce32 wrote:

Well, at first I was beside this theory, but now I'm against it. The trailer's footage is a bit longer (you can measure it with the steps JDW takes). Long enough to show us the swat guy's collapse, while in the prologue's footage it is cut right before he gets the shot. When we change our view back (in the prologue) we can see a swat guy there, but he's not the same.
Ok, great point. After watching the prologue, I now see the body of the first SWAT before the second SWAT comes in

dragon_phoenix wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 1:39 pm
rotas wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 1:16 pm
I want you guys to go to 2:16 of the new trailer. Pause it.

Add a tab, go to the prologue, and stop at 3:46.

Press play on the prologue and pay attention to the guy dressed in black aiming the gun to the right of the screen. Watch his move in that frame.

Now press play on the trailer and watch that same guy.

Crazy right?

Alive in the prologue clip, gets shot in the trailer clip.

I think this is the biggest hint we've gotten thus far. The prologue is Washington failing the mission, but now he has to redo it somehow using inversion.

I feel like the storyline is going to meet in the middle at some point and then rewind. Maybe, maybe not.

Another thing I want to point out is the architectural symmetry in the trailers. There's so much of it and I think that the symmetry symbolizes two alternate timelines of some sort that collide. These claims/theories are broad but I really think this is something to build off of.
No.. I am pretty sure in the Prologue, a SWAT member got shot. That guy is not JDW.
Yeah, I know it's not JDW. JDW is the guy running up the stairs in both clips, but in one of them that other guy in the frame gets shot, and the other one, he doesn't. I never said that was JDW lol

hotsauce32 wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 3:00 pm
quervo wrote:
hotsauce32 wrote:

Ok, great point. After watching the prologue, I now see the body of the first SWAT before the second SWAT comes in

lol y'all are overthinking it. there's even more proof that this scene will happen twice. in the trailer, JDW runs across the chairs with the person he is trying to rescue. in the prologue, he tells him to stay seated.

quervo wrote:
hotsauce32 wrote:

edit: I managed to find a spot where I can freeze the same frame in the trailer and in the prologue, and they perfectly overlap each other. There's no way an actor and hundreds of extras can do the exact same movement twice. So the trick was the lenght of the shot.
False, the guy in frame in the prologue shot is the guy who exposes JDW for being fake when he removes his SWAT tag on his shoulder.

Additionally, just based off of the editing so far in the movie, they do have the tech and tricks to use the same apparent frame to record multiple shots. If the camera stays in the same spot (which it does for both shots) they can easily overlap two shots and mesh them into one.

Even if they can't do this, Nolan has the power to explain to the extras that everybody needs to stay still and not move an inch for X amount of time. sometimes Nolan is able to get the shots he wants after the first take, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see this scene twice in the movie.

Edit: I'm going to change a little bit about what I said. you're probably right that it was one shot, but it's the editing trick that they used to create two different scenes. Either way, I strongly believe that we will be seeing this scene twice in the movie

rotas wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 4:23 pm
quervo wrote:
hotsauce32 wrote:

False, the guy in frame in the prologue shot is the guy who exposes JDW for being fake when he removes his SWAT tag on his shoulder.
I was with you at first, and it was an exciting theory, but we literally see the body of the SWAT who was shot, and then the second SWAT (who realizes JDW is fake) comes in. They're not the same person.

Regarding the extra shot of JDW and the rescuee running across the row of people,

it's just extra coverage to show how they got from the middle of the row:

to the last seat (where JDW runs from):

It's just a shot that didn't make the final cut. If you look back at Nolans trailers and compare them to the actual movies, there are always shots that went unused.

hotsauce32 wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 4:57 pm
rotas wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 4:23 pm
quervo wrote:

I was with you at first, and it was an exciting theory, but we literally see the body of the SWAT who was shot, and then the second SWAT (who realizes JDW is fake) comes in. They're not the same person.

Regarding the extra shot of JDW and the rescuee running across the row of people,

it's just extra coverage to show how they got from the middle of the row:

to the last seat (where JDW runs from):

It's just a shot that didn't make the final cut. If you look back at Nolans trailers and compare them to the actual movies, there are always shots that went unused.
wow, you are completely correct! thanks for explaining this the way you did. this all makes a lot of sense now. also, to further prove your point, the first gif that you added to your post...really good find. Just noticed how the dead guy was in front of the other swat guy. I wonder how they have edited the prologue for the final cut...

Just like Dunkirk, this sequence will play longer in the final cut. They cut stuff out to make the prologue close to 5 minutes or to keep things hidden. You can easily point out where the cuts were made. These shots are not unused shots.