Trailer #3

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
So that cracked glass effect on the title cards - does this hint at some sort of "natural" origin for the time reversal phenomena, that agencies could somehow harness? Is space-time continuum itself broken in this Universe - or maybe that is what they are trying to prevent?

DHOPW42 wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 4:21 am
So that cracked glass effect on the title cards - does this hint at some sort of "natural" origin for the time reversal phenomena, that agencies could somehow harness? Is space-time continuum itself broken in this Universe - or maybe that is what they are trying to prevent?
I never considered it like that. I think the cracks start to repair slowly as his other films are presented. I think maybe it's supposed to represent the bullet holes in the glass. Later in the trailer you can see them be repaired.

I have some thoughts:
I have been wondering of what use is the time reversed gun? I mean it accomplishes the same thing a normal gun does. I am thinking that the purpose of it is to leave no evidence. There will be no bullet holes, no bullet casings, just a clean bullet wound on the person. I don't know what the point of leaving no evidence is, but it's just a thought.

Also when I saw JDW use the glove to pick up the artifact/thing and shoot the gun, I thought maybe the glove was required to interact with "special" elements, for lack of a better word, like the gun. But in the trailer we see him pick up a gun off the floor without the glove, so I have no idea how this works out. I would love to hear your thoughts.

speedy117 wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 4:34 am
I have some thoughts:
I have been wondering of what use is the time reversed gun? I mean it accomplishes the same thing a normal gun does. I am thinking that the purpose of it is to leave no evidence. There will be no bullet holes, no bullet casings, just a clean bullet wound on the person. I don't know what the point of leaving no evidence is, but it's just a thought.

Also when I saw JDW use the glove to pick up the artifact/thing and shoot the gun, I thought maybe the glove was required to interact with "special" elements, for lack of a better word, like the gun. But in the trailer we see him pick up a gun off the floor without the glove, so I have no idea how this works out. I would love to hear your thoughts.
Interesting points! For the first one,
I'm starting to think Poésy's charater is not teaching him to fire a gun backwards, but she's showing him how Tenet works? In the prologue, and it appears in the scene they climb the building, JDW uses normal -forwards- weapons?
Most of the theories I've read all have details that don't concur with what we've seen.
A guy was saying somewhere Tenet is about entropy (order to disorder) being able to be reversed (disorder to order). That could explain stuff like blown up glass being repaired, but what about when JDW picks up that weird thing in the drawer? He's basically making the object fly into his hand. There is no question of order or disorder there it seems, he's just moving objects?

Haven't really had chance to post my thoughts here but folks...this is gonna be a fun movie. This trailer sells exactly what I was imagining the 'Nolan does Bond' initial pitch would be. He's really really indulging - and clearly having a ton of fun doing so - the classic spy movie cliches (Russian villain? 'No, Mr Bond I expect you to die'? All the locations?) and putting his timey wimey twist on it. The trailer, especially in comparisons to the initial teasers and prologue, is surprisingly light(er) on its feet. Love the - I'm sure it's not Ludwig but still - Tron: Legacy-esque music here and the way Goransson's main motif comes in at the end is just epic, and the details such as the reverse fight moment having the score also seemingly reversed.... Pattinson bringing his best Tom Hardy/Eames in Inception energy here too. 

So glad to put the release date/state of the world and industry concerns to one side and just enjoy the hell out of this.

antovolk wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 6:31 am
Haven't really had chance to post my thoughts here but folks...this is gonna be a fun movie. This trailer sells exactly what I was imagining the 'Nolan does Bond' initial pitch would be. He's really really indulging - and clearly having a ton of fun doing so - the classic spy movie cliches (Russian villain? 'No, Mr Bond I expect you to die'? All the locations?) and putting his timey wimey twist on it. The trailer, especially in comparisons to the initial teasers and prologue, is surprisingly light(er) on its feet. Love the - I'm sure it's not Ludwig but still - Tron: Legacy-esque music here and the way Goransson's main motif comes in at the end is just epic, and the details such as the reverse fight moment having the score also seemingly reversed.... Pattinson bringing his best Tom Hardy/Eames in Inception energy here too. 

So glad to put the release date/state of the world and industry concerns to one side and just enjoy the hell out of this.
You're the hero we deserve.

Dunno if someone already brought this up but in the French dubbed / subbed versions of the trailer the Nolan movies shown are TDK trilogy, Inception and Interstellar (and not Dunkirk). Not sure why though. Maybe it is because some people here were very critical of Dunkirk when it came out (for showing almost only English soldiers), so they'd rather not use it to advertise Tenet ?

Edit : I just checked Spanish and German versions, they all have Dunkirk

Frenchie here. Dunkirk was a big success in France, if some criticism was voiced, it didn't translate to any boycott or unfavorable reviews.

Really don't know why they made that choice?

Gonna be more fun than Dunkirk for sure. I think it's more going to be like Interstellar or TDKR: apocalyptic, desperate, but with some fun here and there: Tars in Interstellar, Fox or Selina in TDKR, Pattinson here ...
I think JDW's character is more like Cooper in Interstellar (if I must compare him with a previous Nolan hero), one of the best at what he does, but still not prepared for what's coming. I think on the contrary of Inception, The Prestige or Memento and like in Interstellar, we will know as much as him, and discover the story with him.
Like Cooper he will have some funny scenes but also emotional ones, probably with Debicki who will likely end up the emotional heart of the film like Murph in Interstellar, Dent in TDK or Mal in Inception.

Flutterby wrote:
May 22nd, 2020, 7:39 am
Frenchie here. Dunkirk was a big success in France, if some criticism was voiced, it didn't translate to any boycott or unfavorable reviews.

Really don't know why they made that choice?
It was a success for sure, but I remember articles from various newspapers with headlines like "How Dunkirk got history all wrong", "The new movie 'Dunkirk' is a disgrace for the real history of Dunkirk" etc, criticizing how Nolan almost didn't show the French army there.