Game of Thrones (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Yeah this show has too many highs to be disregarded because of it's last two seasons (which still had quite some highs in them too)

I'm looking forward to HBO's House of the Dragon, Sapochnik is easily one of the most talented directors on GoT.

Batfan175 wrote:
May 20th, 2020, 12:47 am
One year later and the show is still excellent actually: https://t.co/LINUqfx3mw?amp=1
Article written: June 2019.
:lol:
You know what public thinks of GOT, one year later?
Nothing. Complete silence. Oblivion. GRRM might bring back the hype, if WoW ever happens. That's it.

m4st4 wrote:
May 20th, 2020, 9:51 am
Batfan175 wrote:
May 20th, 2020, 12:47 am
One year later and the show is still excellent actually: https://t.co/LINUqfx3mw?amp=1
Article written: June 2019.
:lol:
You know what public thinks of GOT, one year later?
Nothing. Complete silence. Oblivion. GRRM might bring back the hype, if WoW ever happens. That's it.
It's constantly in the top 20 most checked TV shows on IMDb.

That's cool I guess. Now type Game of Thrones on Twitter and start reading posts, one year later (it was anniversary recently).

m4st4 wrote:
May 20th, 2020, 10:49 am
That's cool I guess. Now type Game of Thrones on Twitter and start reading posts, one year later (it was anniversary recently).
That doesn’t validate anything. The actual usage rates for Twitter are extraordinarily skewed as a large portion of posts are made by a small minority of users. This, combined with something like 23 million bot accounts, makes Twitter not a good real-world 1:1 comparison.

You can take anything and search it on Twitter. You’ll find a plethora of negative posts and opinions on it. It’s virtually useless.

The thing is, I really loved this show for its supporting cast, terrific character actors playing all sorts of fascinating personalities and they all died one by one and as the result the show got progressively less and less interesting.

Of the leads, Tyrion and Arya were great, but they declined siginificantly post S4. The only one of the main cast that actually thrived over time was Sansa, and they just had no idea what to do with her in the end.

Yeah, I posted that article from last year because it was spot on back then and it is spot on right now.

The dragon show got people to cheer for an authoritarian leader for years and people got mad when the show called them out for not picking up on the warning signs along the way and for throwing their principles aside just because Dany has good PR. Not the show's fault if people were ready to stan a woman who burned a rape victim alive out of revenge. People just didn't want to hear it. It is a good show because it was always clear about its central theme: the search for power is bad and will turn you into a worse person because by seeking power you inflict suffering on those without power.
People got hung up on the idea of it being a game among schemers where it supposedly mattered who won that they forgot that you're not supposed to cheer any of these people on. But maybe they needed the dialogue to explicitly say 'these people are the bad guys, and these are the good guys' so that they don't have to question characters' actions and motivations. I let you guys in on a little secret: it's a good thing that Jon doesn't sit the throne because it would make him and others miserable.

If people were really so over the show they would stop making videos about it or stop complaining about it...but they don't. Also, the people who like the show at this point feel no need to affirm this day in and day out. I watch it but when I say that I like it online I risk getting bullied by insecure people who got their hearts broken because their fan theories didn't come true so I don't usually comment on it much at this stage.

Master Virgo wrote:
May 20th, 2020, 2:27 pm
The thing is, I really loved this show for its supporting cast, terrific character actors playing all sorts of fascinating personalities and they all died one by one and as the result the show got progressively less and less interesting.

Of the leads, Tyrion and Arya were great, but they declined siginificantly post S4. The only one of the main cast that actually thrived over time was Sansa, and they just had no idea what to do with her in the end.
I will stand by this take until the end of time, but if GRRM had at least finished Winds and gave D&D a great outline for ADOS the quality of seasons 5-8 would have been considerably stronger.

As easy as it is to take potshots at them, they basically had to end a narrative so convoluted it's baffled its own creator for a decade while producing the most complex international tv production, and one of the most complex productions for film or tv period, of all time, while actors were increasingly impatient they had to keep turning down other roles.

I imagine one day we'll get a proper adaptation one day.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
May 20th, 2020, 3:52 pm
Master Virgo wrote:
May 20th, 2020, 2:27 pm

I will stand by this take until the end of time, but if GRRM had at least finished Winds and gave D&D a great outline for ADOS the quality of seasons 5-8 would have been considerably stronger.

As easy as it is to take potshots at them, they basically had to end a narrative so convoluted it's baffled its own creator for a decade while producing the most complex international tv production, and one of the most complex productions for film or tv period, of all time, while actors were increasingly impatient they had to keep turning down other roles.

I imagine one day we'll get a proper adaptation one day.

-Vader
You got a proper adaptation with this show.