Coronavirus Pandemic

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
Economy will reopen in every country after three-four months of almost a complete shutdown because otherwise there won't be any, or you'll get your food coupons and stay in lockdown for over six months.

If the second wave hits in fall/winter, I don't see our country in quarantine again, more like living our lives at distance and fingers crossed. BDP is already projected to drop 11% which is extreme. Soon enough, even disciplined country like mine won't be able to hold ground. Eventually, people want to come back and try to earn for a living, despite the virus.

m4st4 wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 1:07 am
Economy will reopen in every country after three-four months of almost a complete shutdown because otherwise there won't be any, or you'll get your food coupons and stay in lockdown for over six months.
Even food coupons are part of economy. The grains and veggies aren't gonna be teleported to your fridge.

Pratham wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 2:20 am
m4st4 wrote:
Even food coupons are part of economy. The grains and veggies aren't gonna be teleported to your fridge.
Sure thing. You go each and every morning for a pickup, for god knows how many days, and you're glad that you're alive, let alone fed for the week. I was just a kid but we've been through a war in the 90s, I remember it all. What we're facing nowadays is nothing compared to that honestly.

When I say 'won't be any', it's more like 'won't be anything like we're used to', just a system operating on bare minimum.

Yeah, the US economy will have to open up fairly soon, unless we want to screw most/institutions for several, several years. My mom works a one of the top five biggest division 2 colleges in the US, has seniority in her department and has a vital position there even she is worried about cutbacks. It sounds like anyone is fair game for the axe there at this point. Aren’t we years away from a vaccine? How long are we supposed to hold out?

I’m hoping these stay at home orders being extended as long as they have been ends up being the best decision in hindsight, I really do. But damn it’s going to be facepalm worthy if the death rate ends up being like 1%, if there is no second wave, and nobody can find a decent job for 5 years.

Recent Harward study (like several days old) suggests, based on thorough presented data, corona virus is most likely a seasonal virus, meaning countries who decided on major lockdown from March-June did the right thing. The numbers would be far higher if they haven't. From summer until fall the world should slowly start opening up... And whatever comes in fall we'll be better prepared and more knowledgeable. Social distancing will continue, but so will life and most work routines. Here where I live corridors between countries are already opening up, and hotels will be fully open in June. July-September reservations are full to the max, no cancellations. As for the number of cases in Croatia and Slovenia, 1-5 per day. Steady decline since mid March.

m4st4 wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 2:31 am
Pratham wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 2:20 am
m4st4 wrote:
Sure thing. You go each and every morning for a pickup, for god knows how many days, and you're glad that you're alive, let alone fed for the week. I was just a kid but we've been through a war in the 90s, I remember it all. What we're facing nowadays is nothing compared to that honestly.

When I say 'won't be any', it's more like 'won't be anything like we're used to', just a system operating on bare minimum.
I've been thinking about this recently. If world's economy would shift from pre-covid want-based economy to post-covid need-based economy. Not by governments or any other entity but people themselves choosing it.

That's a nice thought, although I am of a belief that humanity cannot be changed over night. Once vaccine comes and this all ends up being just a bad dream from 2020? We go back to being what we are. Extinction level pandemic would change our needs from want to just the essentials me thinks. Think The Last of Us. Or virus on ebola scale in a mass populated environment and not just middle of nowhere part of Africa.

Kind of why I don’t like using the terms “our new reality” or in general act like the human psyche and norms were permanently changed (even though I’m pretty sure I’ve used those terms before lol). Pretty sure humanity has gone through major catastrophical events before and as soon as they were over, went back to being their old regular selves. You can argue all major events change us a little bit, which is true, nonetheless, I doubt this ~new~ scary reality is going to materialize in the long run. For better or worse.

m4st4 wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 5:45 am
Recent Harward study (like several days old) suggests, based on thorough presented data, corona virus is most likely a seasonal virus, meaning countries who decided on major lockdown from March-June did the right thing. The numbers would be far higher if they haven't. From summer until fall the world should slowly start opening up... And whatever comes in fall we'll be better prepared and more knowledgeable. Social distancing will continue, but so will life and most work routines. Here where I live corridors between countries are already opening up, and hotels will be fully open in June. July-September reservations are full to the max, no cancellations. As for the number of cases in Croatia and Slovenia, 1-5 per day. Steady decline since mid March.
How would it be a seasonal virus if it affected everywhere worldwide at basically the same level of strength? Herd immunity/exposure and antibodies?

Ruth wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 2:54 pm
Kind of why I don’t like using the terms “our new reality” or in general act like the human psyche and norms were permanently changed (even though I’m pretty sure I’ve used those terms before lol). Pretty sure humanity has gone through major catastrophical events before and as soon as they were over, went back to being their old regular selves. You can argue all major events change us a little bit, which is true, nonetheless, I doubt this ~new~ scary reality is going to materialize in the long run. For better or worse.
True true. I hope things like (better) hygiene will sort of stick. Of course, 'fixing' those wet markets would also be a step in the right direction. I mean with previous diseases they said they were gonna close them or be a lot stricter when it came to hygiene but nah, they didn't