Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
radewart wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 11:16 pm
The article says that some theater owners anticipate that Tenet will be pushed back to August 14th and Wonder Woman will be in December. That means what for Dune? June 2021 where Batman was originally scheduled? Also, is only 18 days enough of a delay for Tenet if enough theater still aren't open?
28 days, that would give them an extra cushion to make sure theaters worldwide can safely open back up. As for Dune, not sure if it would go in June with Jurassic World and Venom being there. Maybe it could go in the May 21st slot held by Matrix 4 if that doesn't make it?

Ace
https://deadline.com/2020/05/tenet-cor ... 202928823/
Deadline added a update to the earlier article.
A film finance source tells Deadline that given the pricey economics of Tenet, it requires a domestic release of 3,5K theaters including most of the major cities, and more than 30K screens worldwide. “None of that will be known until much closer to release,” our source adds. Also we hear that Nolan has 20% of Tenet‘s first dollar gross, which makes the need for a huge gross even greater for Warner Bros.

Also we hear that Nolan has 20% of Tenet‘s first dollar gross, which makes the need for a huge gross even greater for Warner Bros.
Imagine in a world where COVID-19 didn't happen and Tenet grossed 1 billion. That would mean Nolan makes 200 million pre-taxes which is pretty obscene.

dragon_phoenix wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 4:46 pm
Also we hear that Nolan has 20% of Tenet‘s first dollar gross, which makes the need for a huge gross even greater for Warner Bros.
Imagine in a world where COVID-19 didn't happen and Tenet grossed 1 billion. That would mean Nolan makes 200 million pre-taxes which is pretty obscene.
Well, I'm pretty sure this is not the first time he had that sort of deal:D So think of the gross of his previous films and do the math.

dragon_phoenix wrote:
And that also means that he would be able to do an independent film with an average blockbuster budget. What if he's saving money for something like that? :D

DHOPW42 wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 4:56 pm
dragon_phoenix wrote:
Well, I'm pretty sure this is not the first time he had that sort of deal:D So think of the gross of his previous films and do the math.
I think 20% is of the higher side because he is the sole writer for Tenet. In the Batman trilogy and other films, he colloborated in terms of the writing with his brother and other peoplee.

quervo wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 5:09 pm
dragon_phoenix wrote:
And that also means that he would be able to do an independent film with an average blockbuster budget. What if he's saving money for something like that? :D
Although I think Nolan is done with making independent films though. I remembered him saying he wants to reach out to as broad a audience as possible. Which is why he hasn't have a non-PG ratings movie since Memento.

dragon_phoenix wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 5:24 pm
quervo wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 5:09 pm
dragon_phoenix wrote:

Although I think Nolan is done with making independent films though. I remembered him saying he wants to reach out to as broad a audience as possible. Which is why he hasn't have a non-PG ratings movie since Memento.
Yeah, my comment was only partially serious. But I'm sure he has limitations, once he told directing is basically making smart compromises. If he's able to save up a couple of million dollars to make a movie, that would be the biggest independent film of all time. There are millions and millions of stories about directors whose dream projects fell apart because of the studios. A good example is Jodorowsky's Dune. I mean it would feel like a big, studio movie, but with only a Syncopy logo at the beginning.

I'm sure Nolan will return to smaller films later in life as the opportunities for making these mega-budgeted movies, mostly with a blank check, become fewer.

He's said so many times.

-Vader