The Mandalorian (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Batfan175 wrote:
May 10th, 2020, 2:41 am
anikom15 wrote:
May 10th, 2020, 1:11 am
Batfan175 wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 7:03 am
I am of the sentiment that Boba Fett is a cool-looking loser who died stupidly in Return of the Jedi and should not come back.
Your sentiment is bad.
Boba Fett is a cool design but not actually an interesting character.
So he shouldn’t appear in any other Star Wars media?

anikom15 wrote:
May 10th, 2020, 4:00 am
Batfan175 wrote:
May 10th, 2020, 2:41 am
anikom15 wrote:

Your sentiment is bad.
Boba Fett is a cool design but not actually an interesting character.
So he shouldn’t appear in any other Star Wars media?
If you have the choice between creating your own characters and bringing back characters that never left the popular consciousness, I'd say go for bold and creative new things.

anikom15 wrote:
Batfan175 wrote:
I am of the sentiment that Boba Fett is a cool-looking loser who died stupidly in Return of the Jedi and should not come back.
Your sentiment is bad.
I mean ...

He's not entirely wrong.

He's also sort of the perfect encasulation of Star Wars as merchandise and a representation of the mania of fans in general. Like, if you were to ask most SW fans about Boba, I imagine they'd say "he's awesome" or "he's so cool". But like ... why? To his credit, his most significant contribution to the story (in film canon) is just following the Falcon for a bit. But hell, a droid could have done that.

Even Jango was a more interesting character who seemed about 10 times cooler if only because of that Kamino fight scene. And he nearly stood toe-to-toe with a few jedi. Boba never really did anything remotely that cool.

He's a loser. He had to be told separately by Vader to restrain himself; "no disintegrations", so he's potentially trigger-happy and unprofessional. He was a running boy for Jabba and spent most of his screentime just standing around, so he's obsequious.

He also didn't kill let alone hit anyone with his blaster, so he's inept. In Empire, he tries to shoot Luke around a corner, but doesn't wait for him to come out and ends up hitting the wall; he's impatient. In Return, he rocketed onto a speeder right in front of a jedi, he had his gun immediately cut in half and he was accidentally knocked into the sarlacc pit, so he's blunderous.

He's basically Wile E. Coyote.

But it's Star Wars, so things have more of an obligation to look cool before making sense. I don't mean that to be dismissive, just that its closer to science fantasy than science fiction.

Also toys.

Cilogy wrote:
May 10th, 2020, 2:22 pm
anikom15 wrote:
Batfan175 wrote:
Your sentiment is bad.
I mean ...

He's not entirely wrong.

He's also sort of the perfect encasulation of Star Wars as merchandise and a representation of the mania of fans in general. Like, if you were to ask most SW fans about Boba, I imagine they'd say "he's awesome" or "he's so cool". But like ... why? To his credit, his most significant contribution to the story (in film canon) is just following the Falcon for a bit. But hell, a droid could have done that.

Even Jango was a more interesting character who seemed about 10 times cooler if only because of that Kamino fight scene. And he nearly stood toe-to-toe with a few jedi. Boba never really did anything remotely that cool.

He's a loser. He had to be told separately by Vader to restrain himself; "no disintegrations", so he's potentially trigger-happy and unprofessional. He was a running boy for Jabba and spent most of his screentime just standing around, so he's obsequious.

He also didn't kill let alone hit anyone with his blaster, so he's inept. In Empire, he tries to shoot Luke around a corner, but doesn't wait for him to come out and ends up hitting the wall; he's impatient. In Return, he rocketed onto a speeder right in front of a jedi, he had his gun immediately cut in half and he was accidentally knocked into the sarlacc pit, so he's blunderous.

But it's Star Wars, so things have more of an obligation to look cool before making sense. I don't mean that to be dismissive, just that its closer to science fantasy than science fiction.

Also toys.
I’d have to get into a very deep essay on world-building to explain this, but there’s more to Boba Fett’s popularity than just his looks, and there’s more to a story’s story than its ... story.

Master Virgo wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 2:11 pm
First rule of Star Wars: if a character falls out of some height and appears to be dead, he's definitely alive in some form. Be prepared for the return of Mace Windu one of these days as well or who knows maybe Ford Solo, if Disney becomes too desperate.
The dead speak!

anikom15 wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 5:05 am
Cilogy wrote:
anikom15 wrote:

Your sentiment is bad.
I mean ...

He's not entirely wrong.

Also toys.
I’d have to get into a very deep essay on world-building to explain this, but there’s more to Boba Fett’s popularity than just his looks, and there’s more to a story’s story than its ... story.
As soon as you open it up to material other than just the films, then yes. However, you could say that about almost anything in the Star Wars EU that is given additional backstory.

But otherwise, no, there is not much to him in film canon. Even though Vader and Han Solo seem to imply he's some sort of threat through dialogue, the films never actually show it to the audience. In fact they disprove it, if anything. He's a cartoon.

Cilogy wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 12:13 pm
anikom15 wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 5:05 am
Cilogy wrote:

I mean ...

He's not entirely wrong.

Also toys.
As soon as you open it up to material other than just the films, then yes. However, you could say that about almost anything in the Star Wars EU that is given additional backstory.

But otherwise, no, there is not much to him in film canon. Even though Vader and Han Solo seem to imply he's some sort of threat through dialogue, the films never actually show it to the audience. In fact they disprove it, if anything. He's a cartoon.
No, actually. Just the film: The Empire Strikes Back. Again, it would require quite the essay.

I will say Boba Fett’s been with us since before the Clone Wars and being able to have a character who is tied to nearly every period of the saga without needing to introduce him is an asset.

Göransson is a gem

i wanted bino to jump in at the end