Video Games Part II

A place to discuss music and video games.
Numbers wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 12:58 am
XBOX's exclusives never really appealed to me, so it's PS5 for me all the way.

Also @Vader:
I order Nier: Automata cuz it looks goddamn cool and dig what I've heard of the soundtrack.

Currently playing through the Bioshock Infinite DLC and will start Horizon: Zero Dawn tomorrow. It feels like I'm cheating on films.
Extremely important detail about Nier: Automata (which is fucking fantastic and GOTG contender): you NEED to play all the routes. A, B, C...all the way to D. It may seem tedious after first playthrough, but in this case it's actually essential. So consider that you're about to finish that game at least three times to get the full mindblown kick. My advice is to follow a guide, something non-spoilerific.

From Software games are indeed quite a challenge...but I would start with Bloodborne, imo the easiest (or at least most accessible, also maybe the best) and go from there.

Let us know your thoughts. I'm playing Sekiro right now, love it. Honestly, the easiest From Software game for me (so far, about halfway done).

Currently stuck just trying to find a random guy.

-Vader

The current plan is to finish Burial at Sea—Ep 2 (almost done), move on to Horizon: Zero Dawn, then Nier: Automata. I heard a little about the existence of A-Z endings in N:A, but I didn't know that the best way to approach the game was to play them all (thanks m4st4!)

Bloodborne and Dark Souls are easily the most exciting From Software titles for me. I'll probably start with the former tho (thanks Vader!)

Honestly, if I keep up the pace I've been playing at, I'll prob finish all these pretty soon.
I'll definitely update ya'll.

Vader182 wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 3:19 am
From Software games are indeed quite a challenge...but I would start with Bloodborne, imo the easiest (or at least most accessible, also maybe the best) and go from there.

Let us know your thoughts. I'm playing Sekiro right now, love it. Honestly, the easiest From Software game for me (so far, about halfway done).

-Vader
Good for you if Sekiro is the easiest! :D It's notoriously hard and has probably the toughest final boss of them all. Took me 80 hours to finish that game (half of it was grinding and enjoying the intricate world From has built) but I love it and is only second to Bloodborne for me. Was never good at parying in games though. I'm the guy who struggles with Rafe in Uncharted 4 finale lol.

m4st4 wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 3:51 am
Vader182 wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 3:19 am

-Vader
Good for you if Sekiro is the easiest! :D It's notoriously hard and has probably the toughest final boss of them all. Took me 80 hours to finish that game (half of it was grinding and enjoying the intricate world From has built) but I love it and is only second to Bloodborne for me. Was never good at parying in games though. I'm the guy who struggles with Rafe in Uncharted 4 finale lol.
So far,
lady butterfly
was my biggest challenge. I'm quite terrible at parrying, but honestly I just spam the parry button when I'm anticipating an attack and 8/10 times still get the parry. Also learned early that "jump" is often as effective, or better, than "dodge."

That said, I'm only halfway done, and I heard the last half is harder than the first so I may change my tune when all is said and done. Will update if this is the case lol.

Enjoy Numbers. I recently replayed U1 and U2, GTAV for the first time, and Life is Strange.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 4:23 am
Enjoy Numbers. I recently replayed U1 and U2, GTAV for the first time, and Life is Strange.

-Vader
I remember playing a bit of U1, but the lack of highlighting (important items) had me running around in circles for hours lol. But U1 > U3 according to you?

U1 definitely has MUCH(!) rougher gameplay, but I actually really like the narrative, stye of storytelling and world. It's incredibly well paced and designed even if the overall combat and climbing mechanics are frustrating and kinda suck.

3 is the Michael Bay movie of the franchise. It's all dumb bombast with a bad story and bad villains, but it has a bunch of truly amazing set pieces and sequences. U1 winds up winning out for me, but I'm probably alone on that front.

-Vader

Numbers, just a tiny tiny spoil about Nier.

It's not just the endings that change, route A you play as one character, route B is boring because you play that same campaign with another character... But it takes less time than the first round. Then you get to the truly mindblow part of the game. Yoko Taro operates on another level as a creator here and thinks unconventionally in terms of when you're truly done with the game.

Probably the only game in which credits are top 3 moment in the game lol.

Anyway, enjoy discovering the layers.

Vader, I tried finishing GTAV two times, got close but never did. Do you think it's worth it?

i mean gta v may not be some masterpiece in video game storytelling or anything like that, but i def think it’s worth finishing, it’s fun!

Ruth wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 6:28 am
i mean gta v may not be some masterpiece in video game storytelling or anything like that, but i def think it’s worth finishing, it’s fun!
It's a marvel in world building and definitely fun! Back in the days (on both PS3 and PS4) I had problems with all of its protagonists but it's quarantine and I'm in the mood now.