Untitled Tom Cruise/NASA/SpaceX Project (TBD)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Well it depends on what the sequence will be... perhaps another actor is required, someone for Cruise to save or have interactions with.

I don't think the director or DP need to be up there at all. They can easily delegate the camera operator from Earth. But considering they'd be docking at the ISS there probably should be some technician who would put up the lights and prepare the set for shooting up there once they dock. I guess they can teach Cruise or the operator to do that as well or delegate the astronauts already on board to prepare the set beforehand.

It would be amazing if they shoot the whole launch for the film and Cruise will have to be in character for his first trip into space. That'd be insane.

Nice to see Musk has other occupations during quarantine than twitter and choosing a name for his child.

Forum Pro
Law
How can you not like Cruise

Law wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 8:51 am
How can you not like Cruise
Scientology

antovolk wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 3:51 am
MorenoVL wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 2:59 am
An IMAX movie directed by Nolan and starring thé real action star right now. Now that would put a smile on my face!
I honestly feel - as they pioneered getting these cameras into space years before Nolan started using them for features - IMAX absolutely have to be somehow involved with this.

Nolan and Cruise together though... I have no idea if that's gonna work at all, both massive creative egos.
I'd think they would work together well since Nolan and Cruise both try to achieve as much as possible in-camera. Maybe have some different ideas but I'm sure they are professional enough to come to an agreement I would think personally

I’m curious to know more about this. Getting up there is a huge risk but it seems to be much safer than ever. They’ve shot documentaries on IMAX film and digital so obviously it’s doable. But what exactly are they planning to shoot up there?

AhmadAli95 wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 1:39 pm
I’m curious to know more about this. Getting up there is a huge risk but it seems to be much safer than ever. They’ve shot documentaries on IMAX film and digital so obviously it’s doable. But what exactly are they planning to shoot up there?
I'm afraid that in certain situations people don't really care what the film is about as long it's a technical achievement... I'm thinking of how "one take" scenes are becoming hip these days (not saying that they haven't done long take scenes decades ago, but it seems like for a lot of people it's enough to know that a long scene was done in one take, so it's automatically good... or I might be too cynical, I don't know).

DHOPW42 wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 1:58 pm
AhmadAli95 wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 1:39 pm
I'm afraid that in certain situations people don't really care what the film is about as long it's a technical achievement... I'm thinking of how "one take" scenes are becoming hip these days (not saying that they haven't done long take scenes decades ago, but it seems like for a lot of people it's enough to know that a long scene was done in one take, so it's automatically good... or I might be too cynical, I don't know).
The "one take" isn't just about technique, it's also about making people believe what they see. One take that are filled with CGI don't interest me, but when you can feel that what you see is real, then it's like magic. In the fifties, André Bazin had written a beautiful article about it. What he meant is that if you show a magic trick in a film, and you cut during the trick, the audience isn't impressed with the magic trick, because they understand how it's done, but if you don't cut during a magic trick, then you really have a magic trick. The scene at the beach in Roma, the climax in 1917 are so much more emotional because you they are one take. What I mean is that, when it's well done, there's so much more than technic, there's an emotional reality that is achieved.

About Musk and Cruise project, will they be able to make the audience feel that reality? Will it really feel different than Gravity, Interstellar, First Man? I'm not convinced.

Demoph wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 2:13 pm
The "one take" isn't just about technique, it's also about making people believe what they see. One take that are filled with CGI don't interest me, but when you can feel that what you see is real, then it's like magic. In the fifties, André Bazin had written a beautiful article about it. What he meant is that if you show a magic trick in a film, and you cut during the trick, the audience isn't impressed with the magic trick, because they understand how it's done, but if you don't cut during a magic trick, then you really have a magic trick. The scene at the beach in Roma, the climax in 1917 are so much more emotional because you they are one take. What I mean is that, when it's well done, there's so much more than technic, there's an emotional reality that is achieved.
Of course if it's "done right" - for a purpose -, then it usually has a reason to be in the film, but sometimes I sense that it's becoming a "gimmick". The moment I read about this Tom Cruise project, I immediately went... "why?" Why is this necessary, other than being able to say that they did it? Of course it they "do it right", so that it doesn't feel like it was done just for the sake of it, then it can be a turning point in movie history, but for me it feels like a gimmicky idea.

DHOPW42 wrote:
May 6th, 2020, 1:58 pm
No I get what you mean. People will definitely hype this up because of the technical achievement. I hope they do something amazing that is worthy of going up there. Because if it’s just to shoot a bit in Zero G then I don’t know if it’s worth it. Shooting up there must have its limitations so I’m not holding my breath. I truly hope they put story first and use space in an effective way.

We’ll see I guess.