Coronavirus Pandemic

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
Forum Pro
Law
Allstar wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 7:08 pm
I really wish Tenet would just be delayed. It is baffling to me Nolan is being this stubborn. It hurts because I won’t be seeing it in July if it comes out, I can’t risk it, my area is one of the worst hit parts in the country and I have people in my life that are high risk. It would be selfish of me to go. I’m disappointed in Nolan, I know he wants to help theaters but at what cost? It’s very disappointing. Still time to do the right thing, I hope they do. Movies and theaters are not more important than life, there’s no excuse/defense here.
Me by the end of this post

Thanks for dismissing my genuine concern and frustration over this. I’m sure many feel similarly to me whether they want to admit it or not. Well the majority do outside of this forum anyway.

My only hope I will actually see the movie is there is a drive in theater somewhat near me. Not ideal to see it this way but better than nothing I suppose.

Ahhhh... here we go again.

I think if Tenet was scheduled earlier he obviously wouldn’t have pushed for the film to be released and he obviously wouldn’t be able to. July 17 is two months+ away guys. Some of you are acting as if he’s releasing it tomorrow. We don’t know what the situation will be like in July. If Tenet moves then you might as well cancel all 2020 releases which is something that’ll have devastating effects on the industry.

The virus is likely to keep spreading at a small percentage even if most areas get it under control. There’s no way we’ll go back to normal any time this year or next year. Things will be different and we have to adapt. Are you going to stay at home until the vaccine is ready? because that will take a long time.

I hope theaters delay opening too, but I don't think the context of this discussion is fair. Nolan's not trying to line pockets, he's trying to help literally save cinemas, as the two biggest chains in the United States, AMC and Cinemark, are on the brink of bankruptcy. He doesn't think Tenet alone will do it, but will pave the way for a few blockbusters (Mulan + WW84) to help too. Even a few months of revenue will make a massive difference to theaters if we get a second wave.

To make this clear: without a bailout, if we wait too long to reopen, there won't be any theaters to reopen.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 8:15 pm
To make this clear: without a bailout, if we wait too long to reopen, there won't be any theaters to reopen.

-Vader
*wipes forehead with dirty rag while wearing overalls and leaning over engine* well there's your problem...
Last edited by Disney+'s solo2001 on May 3rd, 2020, 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Pro
Law
To the surprise of apparently many people, places are going to reopen.

Vader182 wrote:
I hope theaters delay opening too, but I don't think the context of this discussion is fair. Nolan's not trying to line pockets, he's trying to help literally save cinemas, as the two biggest chains in the United States, AMC and Cinemark, are on the brink of bankruptcy. He doesn't think Tenet alone will do it, but will pave the way for a few blockbusters (Mulan + WW84) to help too. Even a few months of revenue will make a massive difference to theaters if we get a second wave.

-Vader
I just know people will ignore this post (and countless of other posts like this made by others probably 100 times by now) and keep pushing this narrative of Nolan being some self absorbed loon who values his kinos more than people’s health.

I’m still very torn on this issue, and there are too many variables for me to judge either Nolan, WB or anyone with an opinion on this thing. But I’m thinking, if theaters can reopen with Tenet this year, it’s probably have to be July. By July things are likely to get at least (hopefully) somewhat better in the US. Delaying it to October seemed good at first, until the realization of the second wave kicks in and it becomes extremely risky. If the current July-August line up gets delayed to Fall, then the second wave hits, theaters will not open in 2020. And after that... probably never.

Well I know Nolan’s motivations and I acknowledged that but I still disagree and am disappointed because people’s lives >>> cinemas. I just think it’s too soon. No way the NYC area will be ready by July. I also don’t believe theaters will cease to exist even if they are shutdown for the year. Something will get worked out.

Allstar wrote:
May 3rd, 2020, 8:49 pm
Well I know Nolan’s motivations and I acknowledged that but I still disagree and am disappointed because people’s lives >>> cinemas. I just think it’s too soon. No way the NYC area will be ready by July. I also don’t believe theaters will cease to exist even if they are shutdown for the year. Something will get worked out.
You can choose to believe whatever you want, but both companies are in massive debt and bleeding cash. Supposedly AMC only has enough cash on hand through summer and Cinemark only has enough cash to last until December. They're both exploring private offerings to get more capital to extend the lives of each company. If that doesn't happen, and theaters don't re-open, it's possible the two major chains will die out. Make no mistake, there's a course of events here that could result in theatrical exhibition changing.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... s-1289514

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... es-1289625

I'm with Ruth. The ethics and so forth of the whole issue are quite messy. As a business owner, how would I feel if my business was on the brink of falling apart unless we reopened? It's easy to cast judgement when you aren't the one making these decisions that impact so many lives.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
True. But here's a harsh truth.

Everything is falling apart, not just cinemas. Imagine, my entire country depends on the profit from tourism. And tourism as we know it is pretty much bye bye until vaccine. Nolan's mission may be noble, but it's not rational, yet. End of the summer sure, but not July. Looking at the numbers in US at least.

He may think best, but the reality is not supporting it at the moment.