Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Prediction is $400 million now. What do you guys think?

Ace

Forum Pro
Law
Everything is “frightening” to Americans this day and age.

I agree that we should wait till we get the "go-ahead" from credible medical professionals and waiting till August/September to open public areas may be a good idea. But, at some point we have to get over the fear, some people out there seem like they want to shut everything down for like three years.

As that article points out, if July is a little too early, then they just release on Wonder Woman's August date. It's going to be the first movie in theaters.

Multiple things have to go right... but Nolan has never failed. If this works, the narrative rights itself and could be his defining moment.

The WB CEO indeed said "this summer or whenever theaters reopen", so yeah Wonder Woman's August 14th slot could work if July 17th can't happen.

In theory, a movie could open to Avengers Endgame numbers (about 350 million) during the limitations if it's the only one playing in the cinemas. That is however HIGHLY unlikely as it would require theaters to run the movie on all screens, 24/7 with half of the seats being constantly filled.

However, no one ever expected Tenet to do anywhere near Avengers Endgame numbers even before the pandemic so who knows. If Tenet's the only movie in theaters in July it potentially could open to a 100 million. Which would be remarkable considering the circumstances. Hell, 50 million would be great as well. But it all depends on whether
1. The theaters will in fact be open by July (obviously) and
2. The audience will feel comfortable to sit in a 50% filled screening area.
I think the first one is possible, the second one, I'm not so sure.

Whatever the result may be, I think it's pretty clear that Nolan does not care that much about the Box Office result of this movie in the corona times but rather on making a statement and helping the theater business. WB also wants to help them out, even "sacrificing" one of its own tentpole movies as an offering, since theaters going down will have catastrophic repercussions for the studios.

anikom15 wrote:
April 24th, 2020, 1:42 am
Too low it's going to do 1 billion people want their freedom back!

CaviezelReese wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 2:07 am
anikom15 wrote:
April 24th, 2020, 1:42 am
Too low it's going to do 1 billion people want their freedom back!
1 billion? That’s highly optimistic. If I consider how the joker made 1B then it isn’t impossible but the situation right now varies a lot from individual to individual because circumstances are different. It would be nice though if it happens.