Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Maryann Brandon, co-editor of Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker:: “[Star Wars: The Last Jedi] was just a different take on the Star Wars saga. And to Rian [Johnson]’s credit, he stuck to what he wanted to do, and he wanted to deconstruct the film and open it up to go a different direction. That is the film he made. I know it is controversial, but isn’t that kind of good in a way?” “That’s why I feel very much in hindsight that the trilogy, the last part of the trilogy, needed one vision.” (April 7, 2020) (archive)

Mary Jo Markey, co-editor of Star Wars: The Force Awakens: “I couldn’t agree more [with Maryann Brandon's sentiment]. It’s very strange to have the second film so consciously undo the storytelling of the first one. I’m sorry that’s what it felt like.” “I don’t even feel that’s true about the third film. It took where the second film ended and just tried to tell a story. I didn’t feel like it was consciously—it just didn’t feel that way to me.” (April 7, 2020)

MagnarTheGreat wrote:
April 7th, 2020, 5:35 pm
Maryann Brandon, co-editor of Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker:: “[Star Wars: The Last Jedi] was just a different take on the Star Wars saga. And to Rian [Johnson]’s credit, he stuck to what he wanted to do, and he wanted to deconstruct the film and open it up to go a different direction. That is the film he made. I know it is controversial, but isn’t that kind of good in a way?” “That’s why I feel very much in hindsight that the trilogy, the last part of the trilogy, needed one vision.” (April 7, 2020) (archive)

Mary Jo Markey, co-editor of Star Wars: The Force Awakens: “I couldn’t agree more [with Maryann Brandon's sentiment]. It’s very strange to have the second film so consciously undo the storytelling of the first one. I’m sorry that’s what it felt like.” “I don’t even feel that’s true about the third film. It took where the second film ended and just tried to tell a story. I didn’t feel like it was consciously—it just didn’t feel that way to me.” (April 7, 2020)
Yeah. A bunch of people are Mad Online since they thought Markey and Brandon felt the same way, but they don't. Brandon got misquoted. She was clearly praising TLJ for what it added.

Later in the interview, Brandon said:"The press...has not been kind to THE RISE OF SKYWALKER...we got misquoted constantly, I personally got misquoted so many times I was afraid to even speak. It's awful." And she got misquoted *again* on that very podcast. It sucks.

She does say that JJ really struggled on figuring out where to go after TLJ ended. Which, no shit I guess.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
April 7th, 2020, 5:58 pm
MagnarTheGreat wrote:
April 7th, 2020, 5:35 pm

Yeah. A bunch of people are Mad Online since they thought Markey and Brandon felt the same way, but they don't. Brandon got misquoted. She was clearly praising TLJ for what it added.

Later in the interview, Brandon said:"The press...has not been kind to THE RISE OF SKYWALKER...we got misquoted constantly, I personally got misquoted so many times I was afraid to even speak. It's awful." And she got misquoted *again* on that very podcast. It sucks.

She does say that JJ really struggled on figuring out where to go after TLJ ended. Which, no shit I guess.

-Vader
I mean, one possible thing for them to do could have been to not use Palpatine at all and have Luke constantly showing up in Kylo Ren's mind as a Force Ghost to question his moral choices, kinda like his guilty conscience but that would have meant using elements from TLJ and Disney went as far away from that as fast as they could.

'Somehow, Palpatine returned.'

lol this movie

It just seems so idiotic to not have one single voice construct and tell the whole trilogy.

I'm sorry for constantly nagging on this movie, but does anyone remember that weird as hell celebration sequence in TROS? I watched the movie two times and it just baffled me the way it was so awkwardly constructed. Honestly, they montaged it like Ellen spoof over the actual thing: awkward glance... no contact bros... weird interaction number six aaand... cut to lesbians hugging (op-op, we're still Disney better move onto somebody else... but who?)... maybe Rose? Nah. Who cares about Rose. Let's just wait for Rey so we can, maybe, finally, have a warm and friendly reunion. Wait, Rey is here? THANK GOD. This shit went on for far too long. AAAND... HUG.

I... I still don't understand that sequence. Or this goddamned movie.

Edit: Here you go... I could revisit every single shot here and ask a singular question: Why?

Yo

I'm about to just say it
this movie is close to bad, if not just bad
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

m4st4 wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 2:57 am
I'm sorry for constantly nagging on this movie, but does anyone remember that weird as hell celebration sequence in TROS? I watched the movie two times and it just baffled me the way it was so awkwardly constructed. Honestly, they montaged it like Ellen spoof over the actual thing: awkward glance... no contact bros... weird interaction number six aaand... cut to lesbians hugging (op-op, we're still Disney better move onto somebody else... but who?)... maybe Rose? Nah. Who cares about Rose. Let's just wait for Rey so we can, maybe, finally, have a warm and friendly reunion. Wait, Rey is here? THANK GOD. This shit went on for far too long. AAAND... HUG.

I... I still don't understand that sequence. Or this goddamned movie.

Edit: Here you go... I could revisit every single shot here and ask a singular question: Why?

I watched this last night for the first time since seeing it in theaters and that final scene, Good Lord it was bad. Most of the Star Wars 'hugs/we did it' end of the movie scenes aren't the best but this one was really bad.

Nomis wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 10:11 am
Yo

I'm about to just say it
this movie is close to bad, if not just bad
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Stunning and brave.