Last Film You Watched? VI

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Nomis wrote:
April 7th, 2020, 6:13 am
Vader darling, where exactly would I find Yi Yi? I've been trying to find a torrent for a long time but there just doesn't seem to be one
There's loads of torrents. I'll DM you.

-Vader

I'm bored.

If you could show a group of friends or family a film that you deem to be "important" - completely blind, with no context or explanation - which one would you choose?

Mine would probably be Good Night, and Good Luck.

Perhaps with my proclivity for history and politics, it checks all the right boxes for me. But more than that, I feel it only gains more relevance as the years go by. It's short and sweet and reads as a perfect encapsulation of that era.

Cilogy wrote:
April 7th, 2020, 3:21 pm
I'm bored.

If you could show a group of friends or family a film that you deem to be "important" - completely blind, with no context or explanation - which one would you choose?

Perhaps with my proclivity for history and politics, it checks all the right boxes for me. But more than that, I feel it only gains more relevance as the years go by. It's short and sweet and reads as a perfect encapsulation of that era.
Coincidentally I was just reminiscing over this movie because I first watched it a year ago. I like it so much. And I agree, it’s universally relevant, and so matter-of-fact that it feels incredibly accurate by portraying such an uncomfortable topic without falling into any of the usual trappings of sensationalism

def a good choice to show to people because it’s both good kino and informative

marshallmurphy wrote:
April 7th, 2020, 12:12 pm
Nomis wrote:
April 7th, 2020, 6:13 am
Vader darling, where exactly would I find Yi Yi? I've been trying to find a torrent for a long time but there just doesn't seem to be one
You can watch it on Youtube for free. :thumbup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U089cG2BqR8
I wish this had hard embedded subtitles because if this gets deleted, downloading this would not help.

Cilogy wrote:
April 7th, 2020, 3:21 pm
I'm bored.

body double

wait, no

miami vice

-Vader

I want my mom to watch All That Heaven Allows because I know she'll love it. But she just says "it's an old movie and they're so slow." And like it's 90 mins and it packs so much in such a short amount of time.

Today I watched Morocco. I liked it but I don't really gel too well with films that are too quiet. Lack of score really fucks with me. The performances were amazing though.
Also, I would totally walk barefoot in a scorching hot desert to follow Gary Cooper.

Artemis wrote:
April 7th, 2020, 8:58 pm
I want my mom to watch All That Heaven Allows because I know she'll love it. But she just says "it's an old movie and they're so slow." And like it's 90 mins and it packs so much in such a short amount of time.

Today I watched Morocco. I liked it but I don't really gel too well with films that are too quiet. Lack of score really fucks with me. The performances were amazing though.
Also, I would totally walk barefoot in a scorching hot desert to follow Gary Cooper.
all that heaven allows is great. my screen studies professor showed us that, and todd hayne’s far from heaven - which is also great and of course, very highly inspired by the former. if you haven’t seen it i’d recommend.

i need to see more of Sirk’s stuff

as far as Cil’s question of a movie to show that’s important, and without context, i might go with A Few Good Men - though my fam has all seen that. i suppose my backup would have to be The Best Years of Our Lives. it’s long but deals with ptsd and humanity in ways i rarely see on film

Yeah plan on watching Far From Heaven and Ali Fear Eats the Soul for sure now.

Sweet Smell of Success fucking rules

"I'd hate to take a bite outta you. You're a cookie full of arsenic."

-Vader

Just watched Ladj Ly's Les Misérables (2019).

Fucking Tour de force...