Top Gun: Maverick (2022)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
So how does this affect Dune and where is Dune in general.

As of yet Dune is still set for December 18th... I guess it depends on how far WB pushes Tenet back. Otherwise they could keep Dune there, I guess? However now it's got quite some competition with Top Gun Maverick... But tbh, I doubt there's going to be any moment in the second half of the year if not the first half of next year that's not going to be crowded. I mean the December slot usually still means big moneys and who knows if movie theaters are largely openend by then and with people actually going, anyway... It could still make a lot of money.

I just hope they don't postpone it too much, a delay of a year would be too much imo because for one I can't bear it lol and secondly Avatar 2 is slated for December 2021. I think WB would rather share a December slot with Top Gun than with A2 lol

I don't know why everyone is thinking Top Gun is gonna be a sure thing at the box office. The original came out over thirty years ago. Does anybody really remember anything about it, except the soundtrack and the volleyball scene?

Nomis wrote:
April 4th, 2020, 6:46 am
As of yet Dune is still set for December 18th... I guess it depends on how far WB pushes Tenet back. Otherwise they could keep Dune there, I guess? However now it's got quite some competition with Top Gun Maverick... But tbh, I doubt there's going to be any moment in the second half of the year if not the first half of next year that's not going to be crowded. I mean the December slot usually still means big moneys and who knows if movie theaters are largely openend by then and with people actually going, anyway... It could still make a lot of money.

I just hope they don't postpone it too much, a delay of a year would be too much imo because for one I can't bear it lol and secondly Avatar 2 is slated for December 2021. I think WB would rather share a December slot with Top Gun than with A2 lol
The bigger concern for Dune is how long post-production houses will be shut down, but Tenet probably won't go there anyway.

-Vader

I'm sorry that I have to tell you this Nomis. Dune will be a 2021 release. The sooner you accept this the quicker you can prepare yourself to geek out all of 2021.

Oku
Dune's marketing hasn't even started yet, i.e. zero sunken marketing costs that WB has to factor in on whether to delay or not.

So really, WB has nothing to lose by delaying Dune and everything to gain (more room for its current pile-up of delayed films to breathe).

Also, this film looks to be pretty spectacular and Cruise's films usually do pretty well at the box office...

Still, I'm the most bummed about Tenet and Dune's release being in jeopardy. I mean I get it, safety first and films are on the less important spectrum right now (or some might say in general but dammit I love films lol) but if there would be two films to be released this year I would give all the rest up for it's those two.

But yeah, it's looking more and more likely that Dune will definitely be a 2021 release... I guess it depends on how far along they were with Tenet in post as to if that can make a 2020 release at all. And then to factor in that a lot of films are set for the latter half of the year.

There is zero evidence Dune is moving other than our fears right now.

m4st4 wrote:
April 5th, 2020, 7:36 am
There is zero evidence Dune is moving other than our fears right now.
zero evidence?

-Vader