Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Janky Sam wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 2:19 pm
Part of me thinks that people are going to be so desperate to get out of the house and do something (anything!) when this shutdown is over that movie theaters are going to be booming for a while, especially given the backlog of releases.
I have never seen such a young Chris Nolan

Moving it to December is making the assumption it will be safe to go out in December and we'll have this thing taken care of (+ a vaccine) by then.

Bacon wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 11:53 pm
Moving it to December is making the assumption it will be safe to go out in December and we'll have this thing taken care of (+ a vaccine) by then.
i dislike being the broken record, but a vaccine earlier than 2021 is highly unrealistic.

Yeah vaccines need like at least 14 months to ensure no adverse effects on people before they can be introduced to the public. It’s realistic to think we might have it in the second half of 2021.

I do think it’s realistic, however, to expect cinemas to open again before that. Just not to their maximum capacity and that is just that hard pill that the studios and the rest will need to swallow. Delaying movies forever is also a gamble, and I fully expect smaller films to be sold to streaming services because no one can just keep trying to pull a new mutants. Studios are most likely dealing with/accepting this very reality right now. Even if we manage to dodge the worst outcomes, movie theaters are likely to need further regulations that def will put a damper on profits.

I think if Tenet’s getting delayed, a December spot is a good outcome. It’s just likely to not make the most absolute amount of money it could have. But who’s to say it would if released in 2021? It’s still early and difficult to predict the effect this crisis will have on people’s habits like these.

Just keep push everything back by six months or so.

June/July release come out in Nov/Dec, the currently scheduled films in Nov/Dec get pushed till June/July 2021 and so on

Sorry just can't see the world shutting down for more than 6-8 weeks at the max. If this was as deadly as Ebola, sure, but it's not. I wrote this in the other thread, but it's not realistic that these quarantines and bans will last over the summer - we can't kill 90% of the world economy for the weak and old. It will be just as bad (or worse) than taking it on the chin now.. Sorry but the world is not that kind-hearted.

Also, as as previously noted, most viruses slow down with warmer weather so why should Tenet move to a december slot when it theoretically will be just as bad? Don't see it.

I think WB should stay calm and make a decision in late april, early may - when the marketing must ramp up for a potential July release. If they have to move then 2021 makes more sense.

Sorry for being the cold ass here, but there is my two cents

Robin wrote:
March 19th, 2020, 12:58 pm
Sorry just can't see the world shutting down for more than 6-8 weeks at the max. If this was as deadly as Ebola, sure, but it's not. I wrote this in the other thread, but it's not realistic that these quarantines and bans will last over the summer - we can't kill 90% of the world economy for the weak and old. It will be just as bad (or worse) than taking it on the chin now.. Sorry but the world is not that kind-hearted.

Also, as as previously noted, most viruses slow down with warmer weather so why should Tenet move to a december slot when it theoretically will be just as bad? Don't see it.

I think WB should stay calm and make a decision in late april, early may - when the marketing must ramp up for a potential July release.

Sorry for being the cold ass here, but there is my my two cents
I actually agree with you; not that we should necessarily sacrifice our weak and old for the good of the economy... but that likely, given the presumed success of social distancing (see China), the virus will have mostly subsided by May and probably gone by June. WB and Nolan need to stay the course and release it in July to give the movie industry a strong comeback. Yeah, there will be slightly smaller audiences than if the coronavirus didn't happen but it's a Nolan movie which means relative to any other movie on the market, it will bring in the largest audience/biggest bucks. Just what a recovering economy needs. Postponing it a year will only mean that 2020 is a total write-off as far as the movie industry goes.
Last edited by ninenin on March 19th, 2020, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ace

Oku
How I'm imagining most of us right now:

:lol: