2019-2020 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
The academy is jealous of Nolan, of course. :D

The three different timelines was confusing for some and alienated them from the movie, especially older views. My parents couldn't follow along and didn't really care for it.

I, also, think the release date in July hurt Dunkirk some. It had a long time before nominations and such for people to cool on it some and focus their admiration on a new, shiner film. It also allowed detractors time to pick it apart and tell others.

Great conversation here. And it's insane more than half of the people here have had no award attention.

I don't get why Rise of Skywalker got nominated for Best Original Score over Endgame. John Williams is an all-time great obviously but Alan Silvestri's Endgame score was much stronger while TROS' score was basically a "greatest hits" compilation.

At this stage of the race, I still think Hollywood is the most *likely* to win Best Picture. Parasite has tremendous support and would be delighted at a win, but I fear most voters won't vote for it "twice," and 1917 won't have enough actor support to pull through the big trophy.

Keep in mind, Slumdog won SAG Ensemble and 1917 wasn't even nominated. ROTK was nominated for SAG Ensemble too, so if 1917 wins it will be the first movie since Braveheart (24 years) to win Best Picture with zero prior actor support.

My guess is:

Hollywood - Best Picture
1917 - Best Director

-Vader

It also fits the trend of BP the past few years being films not winning a lot of awards outside of Best Supporting Actor and one of the Best Screenplays.

Hollywood is dead in the best picture race sadly. It’s 1917 or Parasite. Still lean towards 1917 but it’s close. Hopefully Parasite wins.

2 Awards contenders, Marriage Story and The Irishman are coming to the Criterion Collection!

Ozymandias wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 7:12 pm
2 Awards contenders, Marriage Story and The Irishman are coming to the Criterion Collection!
Atlantics and American Factory are also Netflix awards contenders coming to the Collection.

I highly recommend Atlantics!

Ozymandias wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 7:12 pm
I knew this would happen after Criterion announced they were releasing Roma. Glad to hear it's official, though, and I hope they are able to release some other great movies from last year like A Hidden Life as well.

Sam Mendes just won the DGA award tonight, so I guess that pretty much ensures that he's winning Best Director at the Oscars in a couple of weeks as well.