TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
speedy117 wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 6:54 pm
Nomis wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 11:25 am
Attention please

Over the past few days/weeks we've had to edit people's posts because of a lack of spoiler tag use.

Remember to use the said spoiler tags when discussing anything from the film which has not been shown online. You can talk about the second trailer of course, preferably in the Trailer #2 thread, but when it comes to the prologue for example, use the spoiler tags. It's better to over-use them than not at all.

We all want a pleasant enough experience with Nolan's new film. Getting unnecessarily spoiled about something would be a loss.

If people keep forgetting to use spoilers we'll have to hand out warnings which will lead to bans.

Thank for reading!
I will always use the spoiler tag, but I'm curious; why would you be in this thread if you don't want the prologue spoiled for you?
For the record, I've seen the prologue in IMAX. Besides, it's one thing not visiting threads because one doesn't want to be spoiled but there's more to threads than simply discussing the content of said thread title. You're required to use spoiler tags accordingly.

kor
Couple of thoughts and open questions after watching the teaser, the trailer, prologue and scenes right after the prologue (probably for trailer no. 2):
0. I like when words in ,,From Christopher Nolan’’ background move into opposite direction, used second time in the trailer near the end.
1. Person from VIP room has to be of very high importance, if the explosion in the theater full of audience works as cover-up.
2. Worse than nuclear holocaust? Time breakdown? Did JDW rescue/d scientist who made/will made time manipulation tech.?
3. The shot when Dębicki’s character is coming out of some doors in some sort of supply room, with steel rails, very similar to Leo shot from 'Inception' teaser.
4. What if Dębicki’s character is a villain, not Branagh?
5. The holes in the stone that Poésy’s character shows JDW, look like there were many tries at something. Will we see a time loop? An attempt to break it?
6. Telephone in the lab where Poésy’s character sits looks 90s.
7. 3rd guy that walks with Pattison and JDW carrying suitcase is rumored to have scenes with Dębicki. Maybe there will be no other bad guys than people connected to Afterlife/Tenet? Like one agent goes rogue? Also, before Pattison opens the door, in the next shot, JDW looks very conspicuous, like he knows sth in advance.
8. Opera scene looks like JDW already learned the mechanics of time manipulation, so is this real beginning of the movie?
9. Is Kapadia’s character similar to Oracle from Matrix? Like from the first team of people who invented the tech., but she decided to stay away, she knows how to deal with it. Is there a raid on her stay after JDW and Pattison’s visit?
10. Do the main base of Afterlife is, from some reason, underwater? Rumored big set out in the desert to serve as visual contrast?
11. We don’t know for sure what is the actual ‘test’ but did JDW killed himself not wanting to give up the team? And now he’s on the leash, 'rescued' by Afterlife?
12. Train scene could be tricky as the trains could go in opposite directions and this is normal at train parking. Also JDW pulling out on the boat. Pulling out looks similar time forwards and time backwards.
13. Talin car chase looks extra sharp! 😉
Last edited by Nomis on January 17th, 2020, 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: use spoiler tags!

kor wrote:
January 17th, 2020, 8:55 am
Couple of thoughts and open questions after watching the teaser, the trailer, prologue and scenes right after the prologue (probably for trailer no. 2):
0. I like when ,,From the director and Christopher Nolan’’ move into opposite direction, used second time in the trailer near the end
1. Person from VIP room has to be of very high importance, if the whole theater full of audience is cover-up.
2. Worse than nuclear holocaust? Time breakdown? Did JDW rescue scientist who made/will made time manipulation tech.?
3. The shot when Dębicki’s character is coming out of some doors in some sort of supply room, very similar to Leo shot from Inception teaser.
5. The holes in stone Poésy’s character shows JDW look like there were many tires. Will we see a time loop? An attempt to break it?
6. Telephone in the lab where Poésy’s character sits, fits 90s.
7. 3rd guy that walks with Pattison and JDW carrying suitcase is rumored to have scenes with Dębicki. Maybe there will be no other bad guys than people connected to Afterlife/Tenet? Like one agent goes rogue?
8. Opera scene looks like JDW already learned the mechanics of time manipulation, so is this real beginning of the movie?
9. Is Kapadia’s character sort of Oracle character from Matrix? Like from the first row of people who invented the tech., but she decided to stay away, she knows how to deal with it, is there a raid on her stay after JDW and Pattison’s visit?
10. Do the main quarter of Afterlife is, from some reason, underwater? Contrasting rumored big set out in the desert?
11. We don’t know what is the actual ‘test’ but did JDW killed himself not wanting to give up the team? And he’s on the leash, rescued by Afterlife?
Some of my thoughts:
2. I don't think it's breakdown, it will be a war which can deal with time, and I think it will be similar to a nuclear holocaust as whoever uses his weapon, don't want to think about the consequences.
6. Everything we've seen so far is showing that time travel works differently as we've seen in previous movies, and the estonian cars are from today, I don't think they will jump back in time to the 90's, so I don't think the phone has any significance.
8. I don't know, he looks confused but he doesn't have time to meditate on what happened, everything happens fast and he has only seconds before the explosion. I think this is a very realistic approach to witness something you can't explain to yourself.
9. I agree, but I don't think she is one of the inventors but some kind of consultant as she maybe understands the indian theory of time which was pasted some days ago here.
10. Probably, water seems to have a big significance.
11. Most likely.

kor wrote:
January 17th, 2020, 8:55 am
0. I like when words in ,,From Christopher Nolan’’ background move into opposite direction, used second time in the trailer near the end.
1. Person from VIP room has to be of very high importance, if the explosion in the theater full of audience works as cover-up.
2. Worse than nuclear holocaust? Time breakdown? Did JDW rescue/d scientist who made/will made time manipulation tech.?
3. The shot when Dębicki’s character is coming out of some doors in some sort of supply room, with steel rails, very similar to Leo shot from 'Inception' teaser.
5. The holes in the stone that Poésy’s character shows JDW, look like there were many tries at something. Will we see a time loop? An attempt to break it?
6. Telephone in the lab where Poésy’s character sits looks 90s.
7. 3rd guy that walks with Pattison and JDW carrying suitcase is rumored to have scenes with Dębicki. Maybe there will be no other bad guys than people connected to Afterlife/Tenet? Like one agent goes rogue? Also, before Pattison opens the door, in the next shot, JDW looks very conspicuous, like he knows sth in advance.
9. Is Kapadia’s character similar to Oracle from Matrix? Like from the first team of people who invented the tech., but she decided to stay away, she knows how to deal with it. Is there a raid on her stay after JDW and Pattison’s visit?
10. Do the main base of Afterlife is, from some reason, underwater? Rumored big set out in the desert to serve as visual contrast?
11. We don’t know for sure what is the actual ‘test’ but did JDW killed himself not wanting to give up the team? And now he’s on the leash, 'rescued' by Afterlife?
12. Train scene could be tricky as the trains could go in opposite directions and this is normal at train parking. Also JDW pulling out on the boat. Pulling out looks similar time forwards and time backwards.
13. Talin car chase looks extra sharp! 😉
Interesting thoughts. However, I don't agree that JDW already learned the mechanics of time manipulation. He never uses it in the prologue, and seems kind of surprised to see the bullet reverse. I have no idea what made you think that lol.

With the bullet going in reverse....my guess is that Pattinson or whomever shot it...went and had to shoot it forward with no one there before this scene takes place.if that makes any sense.

Something i pondered watching the trailer yesterday
If JDW is disguised as a firemen to rescue someone on the Estonia freeway (as seen in the summer Instagram vids people were taking) and there's an legitimate film still of him (in fireman gear) and RP stood in a red lit room, then what's happening to him in the trailer when he's being forcibly dropped to his knees in front of the revolving door (and dragged by two men as shown in the teaser trailer) in the same red lit room?

Pippy wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 6:14 am
Something i pondered watching the trailer yesterday
If JDW is disguised as a firemen to rescue someone on the Estonia freeway (as seen in the summer Instagram vids people were taking) and there's an legitimate film still of him (in fireman gear) and RP stood in a red lit room, then what's happening to him in the trailer when he's being forcibly dropped to his knees in front of the revolving door (and dragged by two men as shown in the teaser trailer) in the same red lit room?
I'm assuming once he's taken "hostage", Pattinson's character saves him, and they go on a car ride where that car crash happens.

Oku
So...ever since I saw The Rise of Skywalker, my hype for Tenet has dropped like a rock. :P

Was it a perfect film, a masterpiece? Not even close. Did it make me cry? No, not even a tear-up.

But damn was it magical and mythical and inspirational, and re-stoke the fire to my heart and my inner child.

And it made me realize that no matter how awesome Tenet is, no matter how perfectly it is written and crafted and scored and edited, it 100% will not come anywhere near to what The Rise of Skywalker accomplished, in terms of touching me deeply.

Just had to get that off my chest. (And I guess, thank you The Rise of Skywalker, for making the wait for Tenet easier. XD )

Dragon_316ca wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 11:35 am
The February 2020 edition of Cinefex will feature an exclusive interview with Nolan. I wonder if he'll talk a bit about Tenet on that issue.

https://www.cinefex.com/next_issue.htm
The Visionaries — In exclusive one-on-one interviews with James Cameron, Robert Zemeckis and Christopher Nolan, our special issue will also pay tribute to the handful of master filmmakers who, through unbridled vision and imagination and sheer force of will, have shaped and advanced the art and science of visual effects.

Prob not