2019-2020 Awards Season

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Artemis wrote:
January 13th, 2020, 11:13 am
The only BP nom I haven't seen is 1917. Hopefully I can see it today.
u lucky b

radewart wrote:
January 13th, 2020, 11:14 am
It's like the Academy watched four movies this year: Joker, 1917, Irishman, and OUATIH, and gave them the bulk of the nominations.

1917 really benefited from timing. I liked it, but getting 10 nominations including a screenplay nomination for what exactly. It must of been "fresh" in people's mind and there wasn't time for any negative criticism to take place and knock it down a bit for some voters.

Parasite should of got some acting nominations along with the Farewell. J-Lo should of got in instead of Robbie.
I saw a critic say that 1917 had screenings in late December and so it is still super fresh in voter's minds. That's a possible reason why it won at the Golden Globes.

Agreed with you on the acting noms. I was so hoping for JLo to get one.

radewart wrote:
January 13th, 2020, 11:14 am
It's like the Academy watched four movies this year: Joker, 1917, Irishman, and OUATIH, and gave them the bulk of the nominations.

1917 really benefited from timing. I liked it, but getting 10 nominations including a screenplay nomination for what exactly. It must of been "fresh" in people's mind and there wasn't time for any negative criticism to take place and knock it down a bit for some voters.

Parasite should of got some acting nominations along with the Farewell. J-Lo should of got in instead of Robbie.
you’re acting as if that’s not the case every year. all awards circlejerk around a handful of the same few most hyped up films

anyhoo. i planned on watching my beloved fake dunkirk filme this weekend, but was too depressed, so i’m seeing it tomorrow lol. also am glad banderas got a nom, dolor y gloria is an experience that should be experienced by everyone. really sad about egerton, compared to last year’s win, that oscar should have been his tbh (and i love malek)

I got a legit question, don't know where else to ask it. I've been ready tweets about the Oscars lack of diversity and many are saying that Banderas is not a person of color but a white European. How so?

radewart wrote:
January 13th, 2020, 11:36 am
I got a legit question, don't know where else to ask it. I've been ready tweets about the Oscars lack of diversity and many are saying that Banderas is not a person of color but a white European. How so?
dude you’ve literally asked this same question before and i answered you. spanish people aren’t poc, they’re white

banderas IS a white spanish dude

Where the fuck is Lighthouse? And Dafoe-R-Patt? Lol.

Isn't white a color too

hint: it's bait lol I couldn't help myself

Dolor y Gloria is so fucking good, it hit me right in my soul, I'm also of Italian/Spanish descent and I felt very connected with the characters

Ruth wrote:
January 13th, 2020, 11:38 am
radewart wrote:
dude you’ve literally asked this same question before and i answered you. spanish people aren’t poc, they’re white

Sorry, I most of missed the earlier reply. Seems to be a lot of debate of that on twitter on whether Spaniards are POC.

Al Pacino and Pesci get nominated but De Niro doesn't? Aw man

radewart wrote:
January 13th, 2020, 11:47 am
Ruth wrote:
January 13th, 2020, 11:38 am
radewart wrote:

Sorry, I most of missed the earlier reply. Seems to be a lot of debate of that on twitter on whether Spaniards are POC.
honestly i don’t like this trend, it seems backwards. not too long ago in history people thought of italians and irish people as “not white”. do we really want to go down that route again?

also nomis aren’t you like french or something though