Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I agree this movie is better the second time. I didn’t actually watch it a second time, I just played it back in my head, but that’s what my friends have been telling me.

Good to see some people reevaluating the film. I found too many great things in it on my first watch to not call it a disaster or even a bad film. Actually, it is one of my favorite films of the year, and after all is said and done, this is probably the best film year for me since 2014.

Michaelf2225 wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 10:49 am
i know armand and vader have both mentioned this, but i saw the movie again, and it works much better the second time

once you accept the decisions and recognize what it is, it’s honestly pretty fun and there’s a ton of good stuff in there

not exactly the disaster twitter seems to think it is
Vader said he still thinks it’s a disaster. Also, it’s kind of disingenuous to say it’s “Twitter” that’s saying this.

I don’t think Vader ever admits his first impression on something is incorrect.

He still somehow thinks TLJ is good despite hating most of it.

It's going to suck so much skipping sequel trilogy upon Star Wars rewatches in the future, I feel like all three movies are tainted now and don't form a cohesive whole.

I liked TFA, loved TLJ and hated ROTS, but as one story, barely couple of things work now. Kylo stays strong, for example, thank Driver.

Watched this a second time and it's still just as messy,possibly more so as I was paying even more closer attention to the details.

The first 20 minutes still feels like I'm watching 3 mindless movie trailers crammed in to get this film going.

What was more evident though is the fact Daisy carries this film. Really mature performance from Ridley.

Without her performance I would go as far to say this film would've been a total lost cause and I don't like typing that in relation to Star Wars,nostalgia kicking in there.

Fascinated to see where Daisy goes now ,with regards to her career choices.

Honouring Luke and Anakin on Tatooine is like honouring Harry Potter on 4
Private Drive. It's a damning place that they always wanted to get away from. It's somewhere that they suffered great tragedies, and their life only really started when they left that cursed planet. It's as if someone honours Rey on Jakku after her death.

But of course who cares about what makes sense fot the characters. Nostalgia for Star Wars fans, is all that matters.

Master Virgo wrote:
December 29th, 2019, 12:36 pm
Honouring Luke and Anakin on Tatooine is like honouring Harry Potter on 4
Private Drive. It's a damning place that they always wanted to get away from. It's somewhere that they suffered great tragedies, and their life only really started when they left that cursed planet. It's as if someone honours Rey on Jakku after her death.

But of course who cares about what makes sense fot the characters. Nostalgia for Star Wars fans, is all that matters.
Lmao great analogy.

Michaelf2225 wrote:
December 28th, 2019, 10:49 am
i know armand and vader have both mentioned this, but i saw the movie again, and it works much better the second time

once you accept the decisions and recognize what it is, it’s honestly pretty fun and there’s a ton of good stuff in there

not exactly the disaster twitter seems to think it is
glad you enjoyed it more. it's an unfixable, broken movie, but there's a lot that's genuinely good. a lot of the big Rey scenes, especially.
love Rey taming the serpent, love Rey interacting with Zorri, love the force-time fight.
the middle hour or so goes down very smooth.

-Vader

The
healing serpent
scene was boring and predictable. It was literally just put there to act as an introduction to the ability. There was no peril or anything. It's also one of the five or six times that Rey endangers her friends by not telling them anything and just cryptically staring into space.