TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
blackColumn wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 1:19 pm
Second and third questions are very interesting. Third on has actually been on mind previously as well.

Maybe JDW is the joker that steals the show while Pattinson's Batman is the good guy.
Nolan has already said JDW is the hero of the movie

Forum Pro
anakin234 wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 1:07 pm
A few curious observations I have made about the Tenet marketing:

1. Trailers and posters for Chris Nolan’s films almost always contain the tagline “From the director of…” and then lists his well known films. Usually Inception and TDK Trilogy. However, this is nowhere to be found on ANY of the Tenet promo materials so far. Perhaps to avoid the connection to Inception??

2. Practically ZERO attention has been given to Robert Pattinson’s character in the promos so far. Very curious considering a star of his caliber’s involvement and his name isn’t even mentioned once in any promo materials.

3. In a recent interview Chris Nolan would not divulge ANY information about Tenet when they asked him for more details (as expected) however he went out of his way to mention that JDW is very much the hero of this movie. Combine this with the very first teaser’s mention of a new kind of protagonist” and I am beginning to believe this is some sort of misdirect from Nolan. Could this movie be setting JDW up as the primary VILLAIN instead ala Split?

I believe all of the above were done deliberately to misdirect audiences. Curious to hear others’ thoughts on these or if anyone else noticed this.
1: I think it’s because Christopher Nolan is a movie star in his own right and his name alone can open a movie and garner serious interest. There’s no need to talk about the other moves he’s made because he’s a household name now.

2: I think that’s because he’s not the star here. I don’t think Nolan wants to oversell him in the marketing when he’s a purely supporting role. Especially now when he’s just unveiling and introducing the project, he wants the focus on JDW as he’s going to be our vehicle into this world.

3: I think you’re reading a lot that isn’t there into what he said. It’s not a misdirect, JDW is the hero here.

After seeing all the footages and official materials, we can be sure that
the gas masks are needed for the reversing people. But I still don't think that the gas causes the effect, but it is needed to survive. Maybe you can't breathe normal air during your time travel.

Haven't been around here to avoid spoilers, but

Just read mention of a theory on Reddit about how this is set in the Inception universe but JDW's character is on the other side of extraction working security. Any discussion about that?

Cilogy wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 3:00 pm
Haven't been around here to avoid spoilers, but

Just read mention of a theory on Reddit about how this is set in the Inception universe but JDW's character is on the other side of extraction working security. Any discussion about that?
At this point that is very unlikely, even if they are set in the same universe (i give it a maximum of 1% chance), Tenet won't deal with dream sharing.

At this point all the Inception talk is wishful thinking. Nothing remotely hints at that based on all the footage we've seen.

Are there really people who wish a Inception sequel rather than a original blockbuster? :crazy: Especially in these dark times full of sequels, reboots etc.

I'd like an expansion of that universe, yes.

quervo wrote:
December 23rd, 2019, 2:51 pm
After seeing all the footages and official materials, we can be sure that
the gas masks are needed for the reversing people. But I still don't think that the gas causes the effect, but it is needed to survive. Maybe you can't breathe normal air during your time travel.
I thought the exact same thing.
That specific mask is used by multiple characters and shown frequently enough to be just a gas mask, it must be linked to controlling the time reversing in some form, which makes me almost certain that this whole thing is about weaponising time, the way inception weaponised dream sharing. Which makes the line about something worse than a nuclear holocaust make a bit more sense.

Well nothing in the marketing would hint at a relation to Inception if he were trying to keep it secret lol. All I'm saying is I don't think we can completely rule out the possibility just yet. Even the tone of Tenet feels pretty similar from what we've seen so far. We know Nolan wanted to expand on the universe of Inception, albeit originally in the form of a video game. As for the question of whether we'd rather see Nolan do a completely original movie... sure. But if that's the case, he's already done a corporate espionage action movie. So maybe, just MAYBE... it feels similar because it IS Inception with time manipulation. The biggest wrench in that argument has always been Michael Caine's involvement. However, we know he taught Cobb to "navigate people's minds." So perhaps he somehow gets involved in the new time manipulation device and ends up teaching JDW's character.