TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
I think the shot of Michael Caine in the trailer officially put to rest any Inception connection. Doesn't feel like the same character.
CakeLessEgg wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 10:23 am
please send hd pic of ur display image

So the location where JDW meets
Michael Caine's character is called the Reform Club. It seems like Nolan did use both exterior and interior shots at the same location. Because the shot of JDW from behind walking up the stairs matches the pic on the website.

Website
Google Maps location

Palindromic architecture all over this movie.

El Especial wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 3:29 pm
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 2:07 pm
Hey all, I haven't been around (and won't be) because I'm trying very hard to avoid any more information about this film, if possible. I'm not even seeing the trailer.

With that, I have a question, and then I do have one information-based question that I'm wondering if we've learned so far.

(1) Does anybody know if the TENET trailer is playing in front of The Rise of Skywalker? In the 3D showings? I'm going to see that film in a little more than an hour, and as I said I'd like to avoid the trailer if at all possible (I know that sounds weird). It would make sense if it was playing in front of it because of the release timing, but I was curious if anyone knew for sure.

(2) Has there been mention of how much of the film was shot in IMAX? Percentage-wise, anything like that? Is Nolan pushing hard for a lot more ADR in dialogue-based scenes, or anything like that?

Thanks a bunch. See you all again in July when I'm back on the real and the regular!
1) Yes, it is
2) Hasn't been verified yet. The full prologue was shot entirely with IMAX cameras.
2: Was it? I saw it on a 1.90 screen so sometimes it's hard to notice if it's regular 70mm or IMAX for the entire thing. I read someone say the dialogue parts were shot on 70mm but I'm not all too sure about that.

I wonder how much IMAX they managed to use. I think percentage wise Dunkirk has the most amount of IMAX footage but when it comes to overall minutes I think TDKR is still at the top, followed by Interstellar.

I just love that they once again went with 70mm and IMAX, they're so much closer to each other than 35mm and IMAX. Suffice to say, I saw Interstellar on 70mm earlier this year and I was surprised how well the 35mm held up printed on 70mm compared to the IMAX printed on 70mm.
Besides, I'm thinking of seeing Tenet in Brussel next summer since they do have a 1.44 aspect ratio screen. I still have to experience that and I can't think of any better film to do that than with Tenet lol. I also hope Amsterdam is going to screen the film on 70mm.

Do we know when did Nolan get the idea of Tenet ? I am amazed at the fact that he finished filming his most ambitious original film in just 2 years after his previous film. I mean Inception idea was on Nolan's mind for very long but he started filming it after many years. Similarly was Tenet on his mind long before Dunkirk or did he start writing it only after Dunkirk. I just can't decipher the genius of Nolan. How he does what he does ?

Follower wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 1:42 pm
Do we know when did Nolan get the idea of Tenet ? I am amazed at the fact that he finished filming his most ambitious original film in just 2 years after his previous film. I mean Inception idea was on Nolan's mind for very long but he started filming it after many years. Similarly was Tenet on his mind long before Dunkirk or did he start writing it only after Dunkirk. I just can't decipher the genius of Nolan. How he does what he does ?
because he doesn't do it for fame or success as other filmmakers. he has a real, honest love for the medium.
plus, he was born with special cells in his brain.

Silfan wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 2:20 pm
Follower wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 1:42 pm
because he doesn't do it for fame or success as other filmmakers. he has a real, honest love for the medium.
plus, he was born with special cells in his brain.
A posthumous documentary was best suited to reaveal what I'm going to say now but here goes..
Back in school Nolan was caught looking at a piece of paper. It had his IQ score (173) on it. The principal, Mr. Michael Caine, found it quite stange because the IQ test was actually due in two hours. Nolan told Caine that he has to keep this time manipulation secret and in the future, when he is a successful filmmaker, he'll offer him a role in every movie he makes. "Alright",Caine said calmly, "But I'll play Bond in 2023".

"Of couse why not. I already wrote your sex scene with Gal Gadot last night". Christopher Edward Nolan's eyes beamed like a kid who had already finished his homework as he said this.

"Who's Gal Gadot?"

"Quite a wonderful woman actually,"Nolan smirked.

"I don't like women are full".

"Okay a wonder woman, then".

That was 1984 JDW.

Edit : Nolan must've looked at this typo and made a casting decision last year.
Sometimes facts are stranger than fiction.
Last edited by blackColumn on December 22nd, 2019, 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nomis wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 6:46 am
El Especial wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 3:29 pm
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 2:07 pm
Hey all, I haven't been around (and won't be) because I'm trying very hard to avoid any more information about this film, if possible. I'm not even seeing the trailer.

With that, I have a question, and then I do have one information-based question that I'm wondering if we've learned so far.

(1) Does anybody know if the TENET trailer is playing in front of The Rise of Skywalker? In the 3D showings? I'm going to see that film in a little more than an hour, and as I said I'd like to avoid the trailer if at all possible (I know that sounds weird). It would make sense if it was playing in front of it because of the release timing, but I was curious if anyone knew for sure.

(2) Has there been mention of how much of the film was shot in IMAX? Percentage-wise, anything like that? Is Nolan pushing hard for a lot more ADR in dialogue-based scenes, or anything like that?

Thanks a bunch. See you all again in July when I'm back on the real and the regular!
1) Yes, it is
2) Hasn't been verified yet. The full prologue was shot entirely with IMAX cameras.
2: Was it? I saw it on a 1.90 screen so sometimes it's hard to notice if it's regular 70mm or IMAX for the entire thing. I read someone say the dialogue parts were shot on 70mm but I'm not all too sure about that.

I wonder how much IMAX they managed to use. I think percentage wise Dunkirk has the most amount of IMAX footage but when it comes to overall minutes I think TDKR is still at the top, followed by Interstellar.

I just love that they once again went with 70mm and IMAX, they're so much closer to each other than 35mm and IMAX. Suffice to say, I saw Interstellar on 70mm earlier this year and I was surprised how well the 35mm held up printed on 70mm compared to the IMAX printed on 70mm.
Besides, I'm thinking of seeing Tenet in Brussel next summer since they do have a 1.44 aspect ratio screen. I still have to experience that and I can't think of any better film to do that than with Tenet lol. I also hope Amsterdam is going to screen the film on 70mm.
I saw yesterday night Rise of Skywalker in Brussels. And I got the prologue also. It is so good. The music, the tense, I did not understand what was going on. I loved it. Can not wait for July 2020. Everyone one should see it on a screen that has a 1.44 Aspect Ratio. It really is worth seeing it.

DHOPW42 wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 5:43 am
MMatt wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 5:42 am
blackColumn wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 5:00 am

That was so awesome. This shot was part of the teaser and the reson why they never officially realesed it online.
I'm not seeing any sort of
time reversal in that scene? JDW isn't sleeping, he has the magazine of his gun out, holding it and the gun in his right hand, and he ejects the bullet from the chamber into the air and catches it... like he's bored of all the waiting.
Exactly.
yeah, you're right, my bad on my end, but still
wondering why the guy in the van says "wake up the american's" and JDW appears to either wake up or seems tired. this operation seems like something he doesn't want to do and is being forced into.

There's no
time reversal at the beginning in the van.
JDW is shocked when
the bullet reverses in time.