Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

Speaking of cameos
I really wasn’t expecting to see Ford as Han again and it was a really beautiful scene. At first I thought it was gonna be Luke who talks to Ben.
I also might be the only one who recognized John Williams. The audience was dead - cons of seeing a screen too early or too late I guess.

Master Virgo wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 10:18 am
Alien 3

I've still yet to see The Rise of Skywalker but these reactions intrigue me.
I may actually go and see it :crazy:

AhmadAli95 wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 12:13 pm
Speaking of cameos
I really wasn’t expecting to see Ford as Han again and it was a really beautiful scene. At first I thought it was gonna be Luke who talks to Ben.
I also might be the only one who recognized John Williams. The audience was dead - cons of seeing a screen too early or too late I guess.
Ford and Driver were so fucking good in that scene. I think it's the best scene of the film. They convey so much emotion with so little. The dramatic scenery helps of course but dammit. Ford is such a pro, his performance in 2049 is also some of his best work. I just love Driver in these three films. He has such a screen presence and it seems that he has such knowledge of what is going on and of his character. I loved how he turned more into Han Solo in the third act of the film, after his redemption. that little shrug after receiving the lightsaber from Rey, that's just pure Han. There might be a lot to criticize in these films but Ford and Driver don't belong in any of that.

Nomis wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 1:15 pm
AhmadAli95 wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 12:13 pm
Speaking of cameos
Ford and Driver were so fucking good in that scene. I think it's the best scene of the film. They convey so much emotion with so little. The dramatic scenery helps of course but dammit. Ford is such a pro, his performance in 2049 is also some of his best work. I just love Driver in these three films. He has such a screen presence and it seems that he has such knowledge of what is going on and of his character. I loved how he turned more into Han Solo in the third act of the film, after his redemption. that little shrug after receiving the lightsaber from Rey, that's just pure Han. There might be a lot to criticize in these films but Ford and Driver don't belong in any of that.
Agreed. What a fucking terrible waste.

Master Virgo wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 10:18 am
WDW Pro: "JJ created a broad map for the ST, though he left a great deal of wiggle room for subsequent directors. Per Kathleen Kennedy and Kiri Hart, however, Rian Johnson was allowed to jettison all of JJ's outline and completely write his own script without regard to the original binding narrative. Trevorrow objected to this, as well as the removal of Luke Skywalker from his finale, and after many protests to stick with JJ's original script... he was canned. JJ was brought back in out of sheer panic as the firing of Trevorrow and Iger and Horn's first negative response to their views of TLJ came rather close to each other. Subsequent changes to JJ's reviesed Ep 9 script occured this past January and again in May after directives were given from the top to 'fix' Luke Skywalker in Ep 9. This has resulted in reshoots all the way until September with post-production going until at least late October. This movie will be right down to the wire. As for Benioff and Weiss, I have no idea because I no longer have interactions with Lucasfilm employees on a regular basis, and the contacts I do have would be extremely hush hush about such a thing given that Lucasfilm makes a habit of providing false info to employees in an effort to track leakers." (August 7, 2019)
"Rian Johnson wrote the script before the first viewings of TFA, which is part of the reason the films feel so disconnected. Palpatine was always intended to return, but with no reference to such a thing in TLJ, the script for 9 has been written to feel as a standalone. Unfortunately, my best intel on the movie is that it may be a cluster with so many late changes and JJ isn't a lot of fun to be around at the moment. Leia was always supposed to be the star of the ST, and certain lead individuals at Lucasfilm have had a palpable disdain for Luke. When Carrie passed away, they had no idea about what to do and so deference was given to Rian to make the call. He kept his script as-was, and here we are." (August 7, 2019)
"Reshoots are continuing for Episode 9 until October. Post production will go right down to the wire. Top executives at Disney have gotten involved with JJ and have given specific, direct orders to make certain changes in an attempt to bolster the entire franchise. Rian Johnson was given official notice by Disney that he is no longer to confirm he is making any future trilogy or working on any future movies. He was given the ability to be ambiguous about it, but no more confirmations per Disney legal. Essentially, he's a dead man walking when it comes to ever working with Star Wars again." (September 12, 2019)

Could be the same guy, I don't know.

Nomis wrote:
December 22nd, 2019, 1:15 pm
So much yes!

J.J. Abrams Rejects Idea That ‘Rise of Skywalker’ Is Trying to Undo ‘The Last Jedi’

Regarding any mixed reactions to his movie, Abrams said, “There is an MO of either: ‘It’s exactly as I see it, or you’re my enemy,’” he said. “It’s a crazy thing that there’s such a norm that seems to be void of nuance and compassion — and this is not [a phenomenon] about Star Wars, this is about everything.”
Regarding Rian Johnson, who is expected to deliver more contributions to the “Star Wars” universe in the near future, Abrams said, “It would be a much more interesting answer if there were conflict…The truth is when I was getting [The Force Awakens] up and running, I was nothing but grateful that a director and writer I admire as much as Rian was coming in to do [the next one.] Not expecting to come back to this, it was just fun to watch what was happening and get to respond to it.”

Abrams also praised Johnson’s direction on “The Last Jedi.” “One of the many brilliant things that Rian did in ‘The Last Jedi’ was give Luke an arc. He learned something. He got somewhere. So at the end of that film he recommitted to the thing at the very beginning of the film he was rejecting, so the idea that even Luke Skywalker can learn something,” Abrams said. “I think for a kid to hear Luke Skywalker say I was wrong, I think is a beautiful thing. And I think it’s something we could all probably do with, a little bit.”

I really need to know what change in the story Disney forced JJ to make. It feels like a whodunnit, where we thought JJ had murdered the trilogy, but he was in fact just trying to be a good nurse and the real evil was Disney, trying to sell its SW sweaters. (Could be a great script for a whodunnit.)

What the fuck. JJ just revealed what Finn wanted to say Rey and, buckle up... It's not what you think.

@ar1aster
I had the privilege of attending the Academy screening of #TheRiseOfSkywalker today and J.J. confirmed that what Finn wanted to tell Rey was that he’s force sensitive!
How? What?...Why?