Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Not if audience love it to pieces it won't. Look at The Lion King and Aladdin and Bohemian Rhapsody, they enjoyed leggy runs, no one could be bothered by the RT score.

Master Virgo wrote:
December 18th, 2019, 4:17 pm
Not if audience love it to pieces it won't. Look at The Lion King and Aladdin and Bohemian Rhapsody, they enjoyed leggy runs, no one could be bothered by the RT score.
True.

I’m back. Finished not even 20 mins ago, so I’m emotional.

But I’m extremely torn on this.

edit: like torn in the sense of where I desperately want to love this, and there are things to love, but I’m feeling very conflicted

Just came back: give Adam Driver all the awards, and I mean it: give him best actor and best supporting actor.
Overall good but with obvious flaws. So a Star Wars film, basically. Better than TPM or ROTJ, not one of the best of the saga either. This is more brave than people would have you think. I feel we admired how brave Endgame was because Marvel didn't use us to dare, whilst this feels safe because SW films often take chances (except 6 & 7). But in the end both films feel as risky and safe imo. I 'd go with 7.5/10.
Big spoilers follow
+:
ADAM F***ING DRIVER
Rey: I dislike the change in her origin, but I liked how she was challenged...
Everything with Rey and Ben: they are the heart of this trilogy, so in the end the trilogy works as a whole, despite the changes of direction.
Poe, Palpatine, C3PO

-:
Luke: his scene is so disappointing, I loved that Rey would also abandon everything and repeat his journey, but their discussion was not nearly as intelligent as Yoda & Luke's in TLJ
Jannah: her character did exactly what Rose should have done.
Rose: heartbreaking, just heartbreaking, they didn't even try to give her a good line.
Hux: have you seen my plot device? Wait for the justification... (yeah, films like this need plot devices, but still)
Political context: oh my god there's a shot of the senate: the trilogy is saved!!!

It's not a horrible movie

but it did kinda throw a big bag of poo all over The Last Jedi. It's kinda embarrasing.

It should have been called Star Wars: The Last Crusade. The third Indiana Jones film feels like a big inspiration for Abrams in this one... there is even a reference to Indy at one point.

Overall, I enjoyed it, although it could have been more focused. The new characters are useless and they were only added to once again try giving Poe and Finn something to do when they weren't really that necessary for the main plot.

I really like how Kylo and Rey were handled and the new revelations don't really bother me at all. I liked TLJ but I'm willing to treat this as its own thing. Billy Dee is pretty solid in this also.

Basically the only problem is a lack of focus. And
it kind of makes the Skywalkers less relevant in the end. It makes the whole saga about the Palpatines and not Skywalkers. I can't shake this feeling that the original cast should have been there in the climax of it all for a more poetic conclusion. I know this trilogy was about the new generation but the ending should have belonged to Luke and Palpatine to tie it all together. Or at least Ben to have a bigger role. It is what it is but it lacks an emotional impact on me.
I'll still give this a positive review, there's A LOT to enjoy. I would have liked the pacing to be slower, definitely, and it lacked the operatic beauty of Star Wars, but that's a problem with this whole trilogy. There's too much action and not enough emotion in beautiful, cinematic moments.

Score: 7/10

Side note:
Oh, and the Romeo and Juliet death scene was met with unintentional laughter in the theatre I've seen this in and I can't blame the audience, it was awkwardly presented.
Last edited by LelekPL on December 18th, 2019, 6:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Ruth wrote:
December 18th, 2019, 5:40 pm
I’m back. Finished not even 20 mins ago, so I’m emotional.

But I’m extremely torn on this.

edit: like torn in the sense of where I desperately want to love this, and there are things to love, but I’m feeling very conflicted
I feels it's impossible to love the film seeing how they treated Rose, and impossible not to like it seeing how they treated Rey and Kylo. So yes, torn also.

When it comes to all the movies, I'd still put it near in the lower half but that's mostly because I like most SW films. For me the list goes like this now:
1.The Empire Strikes Back 1980
★★★★★

2.Return of the Jedi 1983
★★★★½

3.Star Wars: The Force Awakens 2015
★★★★½

4.Star Wars 1977
★★★★½

5.Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith 2005
★★★★½

6.Star Wars: The Last Jedi 2017
★★★½

7.Solo: A Star Wars Story 2018
★★★½

8.Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace 1999
★★★½

9.Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker 2019
★★★½

10.Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 2016
★★★½

11.Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones 2002
★★★

12.Star Wars: The Clone Wars 2008

I'm really comfortable in saying Adam Driver is like one of my favorite actors, probably like, ever. Ridley is also really good here, but the person who actually moved me here is Driver, hands down.
I dislike how much sidelined his character was, because even with him absolutely killing the role, given how they struck gold with his development in TLJ, this just seems so bare. I recognize the necessity to dedicate time to others, and overall time constraints this film had. But this trilogy very much felt like Kylo Ren's story as much as it felt like Rey's. And while I recognize the possibility of me never being satisfied with his demise (I even acknowledged it some pages ago lol), ultimately and so far, I'm left wanting more. And feeling like this was disappointing. I am not yet sure how to feel about this.

Also, fuck Reylo. I already thought the death-rebirth-death thing that I saw coming would be awkward, but yikes
Honestly, I can forgive ALL of the external weaknesses the film harbors. Bloatedness, messiness, lack of a more strictly guided path, even some of the fanservice. But the thing that truly tears me apart on the inside, and something I can't "forgive" (like I love Star Wars a lot, but I'm not THAT hardcore, so you know I'm slightly tongue in cheek) is:
Rey being Palpatine's granddaughter. Honestly, fuck that. Seriously fuck that from the very bottom of my heart. This is the moment that utterly shits all over TLJ and it ruins something that I honestly thought of very highly - anyone can be someone. Apparently, in the world of Star Wars, that is just not true.
On the other hand,
I...like Demoph, enjoyed the conflict and turmoil it aroused in both Rey and Ben. But was the twist necessary? Was it necessary to make something cheap to drive the already very much existing foundatation of conflict that was amazingly executed in the Last Jedi? I really do not think that they NEEDED to bring Palpatine back. What they needed was treat TLJ with the respect it deserved.
This film is chaos. Not in the exciting and provoking ways that the Last Jedi was. It's a chaos that they never intended to create. It's nostalgic, it's fun when it lets go of the necessity to please, it's very emotional, even if that emotion gets steam from the things that disappointed me a lot. But man did it try to do it all. It sort of tried to throw the bone to those who loved TLJ and say "hey you will love this!" but I'm just not sure how sincere it was. I'm perfectly aware that the end of a 9 film saga was ALWAYS going to be messy, and perfectly accept that, but what saddens me the most is that it stumbled where it could easily have risen up.

I'm seriously flip flopping on my thoughts, so do not take anything I say as final. I do not hate this movie. I am extremely interested to see what you guys have to say about this. Vader and Armand especially. I WANT my thoughst to change and evolve. I will be seeing this again.

on a less serious note
damn kylo ren is like that creepy dude you need to get a restraining order against

Oh JJ... This is utterly breakneck - dispenses all pretense from the crawl on, it's utterly shameless - of course they went there - and yet uttely perfect in the bigger picture of things story wise. Some incredible visuals and tableaux and that's what does the heavy lifting here. At this point I'm just curious what JJ's Episode VIII would've been, or sticking to M:I-like guns and having Trevorrow's IX. However, it's sheer ambition and willingness to go places - even if said places were almost exactly what you'd expect - still places it high! And again that PACE. It's ridiculous. Just let things breeeeeeathe JJ, could have used just a bit some of that epic runtiming and fat that made the likes of Endgame so glorious. Rewatching the OT and seeing the prequels for the first time really got me to appreciate the bigger picture of it all. Yes it unashamedly apologises for The Last Jedi's ambitions and almost alternate vision and you can't not read it as a course correct but of course Palps's back.

TLJ>TROS>TFA