Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
How much screentime porgs have in this? That is the most important thing to me right now.

Master Virgo wrote:
December 18th, 2019, 10:18 am
How much screentime porgs have in this? That is the most important thing to me right now.
They had one shot!
Yeah this is basically the ROTJ of this trilogy: middling, passable, fine, and nowhere near as bad as the ratings suggest. We’ve just been spoiled by TLJ.

Just saw this.
I knew of the leaks before seeing this, and was expecting for the worst. Fortunately, the movie is not as "dumb" as the leaks sound on paper, IMO. I enjoyed it, but felt that the climax is not as cathartic and satisfying as it should be.
EDIT:
I will be seeing this again in 3 days though, let's see if I'll change my mind.

So this is shaping up to be the only rotten Star Wars movie ever along with Phantom Menace (Which only went rotten re-release over a decade later). Despite my reservations, I certainly never saw this coming.

Looking back now, what a terrific combo Abrams/Kasdan were. One was able to write these tidied up focused old school adventure movies and the other could brim it with delight and awe and excitement.

Neither of them seem to have found the right partner in that sense with their next outings in Kennedy era.

I still don’t understand why so many refused to look past Terrio’s involvement. Even people who despised BvS.

They were hoping for another Argo level screenplay

Artemis wrote:
December 18th, 2019, 3:27 pm
They were hoping for another Argo level screenplay
After failing miserably on two blockbusters? Argo is also racist garbage.

I don't disagree with any of that. The screenplay for Argo was pretty tight and handled multiple characters well.

But watch this dude get more work just because he won an oscar one time.

Will reviews have impact on boxoffice after opening weekend?