Star Wars Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
December 5th, 2019, 6:25 pm
oh for sure! i’m not saying it’s not nuanced or that there isn’t a genuine romantic pull between the two. i don’t remember what i said in tlj thread but i def remember talking about how i loved the complexity of the two (kylo at the very least). it’s not the whatever that happens onscreen that i’m bitching about, it’s the fans tainting my views of it with their creepiness

to me what separates the undeniability of intimate attraction between people and other people actively advocating them to be together, is understanding that some people, no matter how much they seem like they belong together, shouldn’t be together. reylo fans lack that notion

Yeah. And as someone who loudly advocates protection of women from abusive relationships, I find it...very disconcerting how many in that community frame the "Reylo" thing.

generally good advice is to shut out people and just enjoy the way you feel about a thing in a vacuum, nearly impossible though that is to achieve.

-Vader

I think they have more of a fascination/obsession with each other than “romance”. Rey obviously sees him as someone who was a good person and can be redeemed. Let’s just say, I’m totally cool and even for Kylo being redeemed (just want it done differently than Vader) but if they end the series as an actual couple that will be extremely cringe and I will prob hate that.

Finn/Poe would've been great

Boyega and Isaac have tremendous chemistry, oh what could have been

John Boyega Gets Honest About ‘Star Wars’ Flaws, Disagreeing With ‘Last Jedi’ Choices
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/12/john- ... 202195985/

Lol @ Boyega disrespecting and questioning Johnson. As if he knows anything about storytelling in comparison to him...smh. He rubs me the wrong way. JJ set it up for the characters to be separated how he ended TFA. Also, nobody bring up Hamill he’s acknowledged now he realized RJ was right. Also Hamill has more credibility and a right to acknowledge concerns.

Allstar wrote:
December 10th, 2019, 5:47 pm
John Boyega Gets Honest About ‘Star Wars’ Flaws, Disagreeing With ‘Last Jedi’ Choices
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/12/john- ... 202195985/

Lol @ Boyega disrespecting and questioning Johnson. As if he knows anything about storytelling in comparison to him...smh. He rubs me the wrong way. JJ set it up for the characters to be separated how he ended TFA. Also, nobody bring up Hamill he’s acknowledged now he realized RJ was right. Also Hamill has more credibility and a right to acknowledge concerns.
I think they just can't see the big picture. Ridley and Boyega just preferred to be with each other because they had a lot of fun together. And the truth is they do have more chemistry with each other than Ridley/Driver or Boyega/KMT. But sometimes what is more fun to watch and enjoyable has to be sacrificed for what the story and characters really need.

I just rewatched TLJ today and I appreciate the choices Rian made. As much as I love TFA, I think TLJ is my favorite of the saga. And yeah, the actors should direct their negative remarks towards TFA and JJ.

Plus, their reunion was one of the highlights of TLJ. And the original trio weren’t always together. They got separated a lot in those movies and it made the films interesting.

I got so much to talk about but I hate typing on the phone lol.

I honestly don’t really get this type of thinking. He’s pretty much criticizing TLJ for not maintaining the OT-like status quo between the characters. And I get signing up for something thinking it’d be one thing, and then realizing it’s gone a slightly different route. But like... do you just want to have fun with your cast buddies, or do you actually want to involve yourself with something that is more inspired? Idk. But if you strip away all of this circling back and forth, it’s basically criticism of TLJ disrupting this fantasy that both the fans and the actors may have had about this being like OT. But I thought we wanted something different than the OT? The Last Jedi is already as similar as it can be without being all copy paste like the Force Awakens. None of this is intended as criticism from me, more like I just struggle to understand what is it that we (collectively) ultimately wanted from this trilogy? More of the same? Fresh and different? Some of the same but also kind of new, but also in a samey samey old fashioned non threatening way?

But it’s probably just me heading straight into the wall that is the age long question of what the fuck do people who love star wars want from star wars. I’d take an internet bullet for Ruin Johnson for TLJ, so I just don’t really like that even after 2 years people still take rounds trying to let out these subtle little stabs on what he did. Excuse me my word salad.

Having an arc where your character’s plan gets most of the resistance killed and you end the movie by almost killing yourself might fairly ruffle an actor’s feathers.

To go one step further, his arc is a little regressive. Not because he must be radicalized to join The Resistance, I love that, but because Rose lecturing Finn on the evils of The First Order is patronizing. One of his key lines in The Force Awakens was "you don't know the First Order like I do." How can Rose "making it human and personal" for him be more "human and personal" than him refusing to murder an entire village? It's not as nearly clearly developed an arc as Rey/Ren/Luke, despite Boyega and RJ mostly making it work. I truly don't fault him for taking issue.

I DO blame him for airing this publicly. Shame on him for biting the hand that feeds him, truly.

-Vader