Star Wars Universe Discussion Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
LelekPL wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 2:45 am
https://twitter.com/BANGShowbiz/status/ ... 5342560256
"we'll see what happens"

Seems like negotiations have taken a step back a bit on the Rian Johnson trilogy. It seemed like a sure thing when it was announced (granted, it was announced before the release of The Last Jedi) and now it looks like it's up in the air.

Maybe he was just being too careful in what he can say or maybe there really is something to it.
Rian has history of misspeaking badly to press concerning star wars movies, so it's totally possible that's what's happening here. That said, my gut tells me Disney is pumping the breaks on their definitive plans for the franchise until they see how The Rise of Skywalker does. TLJ + Solo hurt "the brand" in the eyes of many people, so they are sorta understandably cautious I suppose.

Also keep in mind, Rian hadn't actually created a story when he was "hired" for a trilogy. It's totally feasible he finally created a story and Disney are mulling over whether they like that particular direction for the franchise post-TROS.

Personally, you all know I really hope RJ gets to make more of these movies.

-Vader

That is not a good sign imo. We will see what happens.

Where has he “misspoke badly” before?

Allstar wrote:
October 11th, 2019, 3:40 am
Where has he “misspoke badly” before?
He badly misrepresented the spirit of discussions between himself and JJ by constantly telling journalists he was given "total freedom to do whatever I wanted." In actuality, he gave great thought to what TFA was doing and where he, JJ, and Colin Trevor-no thought things should go in IX. He confirmed he had "many long discussions with JJ "over how to make TLJ work on its own merits while integrating it into a three movie trilogy."

In less circulated interviews, he and JJ have more or less said the same thing, but RJ basically gave this false impression he just came in and did whatever the fuck with no regard to what TFA was setting up, which is totally not true. Sooo, essentially if he clarified at any point, one of the biggest hot button issues of Disney Star Wars simply would not exist.

TL;DR RJ triggered a massive controversy frequently cited in fandom for the last two years because he explained the process badly

-Vader

So apparently all Star Wars films will be released in 4K on Disney+. I wonder if they include the unaltered OT films in 4K or that they go with the recent remasters? I know a 4K remaster of the original Star Wars does exists.

The Han/Greedo Scene in ‘Star Wars’ Has Been Changed Again for Disney+
The arrival of Disney+ was met with much anticipation and excitement, as Star Wars fans got to check out the first episode of the live-action series The Mandalorian and Disney fans now have a bevy of animated films at their disposal. But Disney+ also had a few surprises in store, one of which was, uh, quite unexpected. In the version of Star Wars: A New Hope on Disney+, the infamous Han/Greedo scene has been changed. Again.

Fans are well aware that in the original version of A New Hope, Han Solo’s (Harrison Ford) encounter with Greedo in the Cantina ends with Han murdering Greedo. You see, Greedo is there to confront Han about losing shipments he was smuggling for Jabba the Hutt, and to collect a debt. Greedo offers to let Han live if he just gives him the money, but when Han says he doesn’t have the money on him, Greedo essentially says he’s gonna take Han out. Not to be outdone, Han shoots Greedo with his blaster, killing him dead.

For the 2004 DVD release of the Star Wars movies, George Lucas edited the encounter to add a blast above Han’s head, giving the impression that Han and Greedo shoot at the same time.

And now on Disney+, the scene has inexplicably been changed again. Now, Greedo has the last word before the gunblasts. It’s not subtitled, so it’s just alien gibberish, but it could give the impression that Greedo further goads Han into shooting, rather than Han just being smart enough to draw before this alien dude kills him. Watch the new version below: https://twitter.com/mikeryan/status/1194280735357784069

nvm, it's the special edition OT

Will we ever see the originals in 4K? Why are they so adamant with going for the special editions? They already have a 4K remaster of Star Wars, why not release that one... It makes no sense not to.

Nomis wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 2:47 pm
nvm, it's the special edition OT

Will we ever see the originals in 4K? Why are they so adamant with going for the special editions? They already have a 4K remaster of Star Wars, why not release that one... It makes no sense not to.
I'm thinking we'll never see them. I hope I'm very wrong.

THR has a source that Favreau will direct the 2022 Star Wars movie with input from Filoni, the source hasn't heard if Rian's fired or not.

I don't like this news, but it's "logical" of them if true.

-Vader

"Directed by Jon Favreau, produced by Kevin Feige, written by Bob Iger's accountants, starring Chris Evans and Brie Larson, based on the characters created by Stan Lee... correction :created by George Lucas."

Demoph wrote:
November 20th, 2019, 8:41 pm
"Directed by Jon Favreau, produced by Kevin Feige, written by Bob Iger's accountants, starring Chris Evans and Brie Larson, based on the characters created by Stan Lee... correction :created by George Lucas."
I'm not THAT cynical. Feige's is a ways off. This would be a separate project. Filoni I like less than some, but I'd love to see what he does in the live action features space.

Like Lucas, he's a very odd man with strange hang-ups and fetishes, thematic and visual, if not the skills to direct a feature himself. I'd love for him to co-write a feature with someone more sensitive and directorially powerful than Favreau.

-Vader