Justice League (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
What even is the "Snyder Cut"?

I never really paid attention to this story, but I though Snyder left mid-filming to tend to a family tragedy and Whedon stepped into finish the filming. Did Snyder come back in post and do his own edit, but the studio went with Whedon's?

Forum Pro
Law
radewart wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 9:58 pm

I never really paid attention to this story, but I though Snyder left mid-filming to tend to a family tragedy and Whedon stepped into finish the filming. Did Snyder come back in post and do his own edit, but the studio went with Whedon's?
Whedon refilmed basically everything Synder shot.. which is why Cavill had to have his mustache CG'd

Negotiations are in line, actors are simply giving Zack better terms, it was No. 1 tweet in two minutes, WB will most likely push for HBO Max, but it won't happen over night.

snyder cut for 3 billion box office

suck it mcu

I can't wait for the hyperbolic praise from fans who will inevitably end up calling the Snyder Cut a masterpiece simply because it got released.

Law wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 11:08 pm
radewart wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 9:58 pm

Whedon refilmed basically everything Synder shot.. which is why Cavill had to have his mustache CG'd
And you are fundamentally wrong. Had he done that, he would be credited as director. The studio cannot just choose who the director is. It has to be in order with DGA rules and if Snyder is credited as sole director then that means most of the movie that you've seen on screen was shot by Snyder. Also, Snyder's track record doesn't inspire any confidence in this. If anything it will most likely be even worse.

However, I do see a scenario where WB releases this on HBO Max. It will probably cost as much as to make a relatively big budget streaming movie/show but take much less practical effort and pre-production. And it would create a bigger buzz around some circles than any original content they can come up with, other than another Game of Thrones show. It's still unlikely because a) Snyder's cut was supposed to set up other movies, b) it's probably trash they want to hide and c) WB is clearly not going there anymore (thank god). I think they want people to completely forget about Snyder and his fiasco universe before The Batman comes out even though releasing the cut makes some financial sense.

BlairCo wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 4:04 am
I can't wait for the hyperbolic praise from fans who will inevitably end up calling the Snyder Cut a masterpiece simply because it got released.
Oh god. It would be the "BvS Director's Cut is a masterpiece" nonsense all over again :facepalm:

Last edited by Disney+'s solo2001 on November 18th, 2019, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm not saying that it's impossible that Snyder's original version was going to be good, but why does anyone assume that Snyder has the capability to deliver a truly entertaining and coherent film on the scale of Justice League? Man of Steel wasn't very good, if anything it was really a missed opportunity, BvS wasn't very good, and it seemed like Snyder has all the control he wants. I don't even like Watchmen that much.

Warner Bros. Has No Plans to Release The Snyder Cut Despite Call from Cast and Fans
For two years now, we’ve had to deal with some form or another of “Release The Snyder Cut”, a referendum on the failure of Justice League at the box office and a conspiracy theory that insists there’s a superior version of the film sitting around but that Warner Bros. won’t release it. This culminated yesterday when that fan outcry spread to the actors of the film when Gal Gadot tweeted “#ReleasetheSnyderCut”, Ray Fisher, who played Cyborg, jumped on board, Zack Snyder himself retweeted Gadot, and finally Ben Affleck also tweeted out the hashtag.

THR reports that despite this swell of support, “no announcement of a release of any such cut is imminent.”

First, let’s break down what the “Snyder Cut” is and is not. It is not a finished version of the movie by any stretch. Before Snyder left the project, there was a cut of the movie, but it did not meet with what WB wanted. Keep in mind that at this stage, the cut of the film would not have the benefit of finished VFX or reshoots. To finish the VFX would be expensive and reshoots would be pretty much impossible since you’d have to coordinate all the actors’ schedule and probably pay them more money since they technically fulfilled their contracts’ stipulation for reshoots when director Joss Whedon came on board.

Second, what fans need to understand is that Warner Bros. is running a business, and to invest the money in releasing the Snyder Cut (insofar as it even can be released; remember, there are no reshoots so the footage he has is all he can work with) means that there needs to be a return on that investment. Fandom can be great for fostering discussion and creating community, but it can also, as we’ve seen in this case, create a conspiracy of sorts that blinds people to the larger realities of what’s required. If Warner Bros. is going to go to the trouble of paying to finish the VFX and marketing a new cut, they need to have some kind of confidence that a sizable audience will turn out for that, and fans aren’t enough.

Put yourself in the shoes of an average moviegoer. You already skipped Justice League the first time around because you heard it wasn’t very good. If you heard that the studio had invested more money into realizing the vision from the director of Man of Steel and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, would that be enough to see another superhero movie when the marketplace is already flooded with them? Is the best use of Warner Bros’ resources to take another chance on a film that flopped two years ago?

I get it from a business standpoint but if the reshoots originally were mandated by WB, why would they be necessary for his cut? I think Snyder should come up with how much it costs to finish his cut and try to finance it somehow - if only WB would give him that option at least.