Joker (2019)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
There's this podcast called Arkham Sessions that looked at every single BTAS episode from a psychiatric perspective and most recently they did an episode on this film as well and what its value is in how people perceive and talk about mental health and I encourage people to check out their podcast just in general.

cool guy

Excellent film. One of the best I have seen in some time. So happy the backlash didn't work to suppress attendance. Cancel culture is really pathetic and I am so happy this film has been as successful as it has. I'll be interested to see if the impact the film had on me holds up upon second viewing.

If I thought the Oscars were anything other than a virtue signalling ****fest then I would hope that this film is rewarded strongly but i suspect it may not be.

I'd be surprised if it doesn't do well with Academy. It's right up their trash alley. lol

Forum Pro
Law
Master Virgo wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 11:08 am
I'd be surprised if it doesn't do well with Academy. It's right up their trash alley. lol
What does this mean

Master Virgo wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 11:08 am
more like "Crash" alley, amirite

I feel like Joker is a film that does resonate with non-comic book fans while still working within the framework of the genre. I think, it’s more deeply engaging and adult driven than the usual marvel/dc fares. But it is still a comic book film and AMPAS is biased against comic book films. We have to remember that Black Panther is still the only one to get a best picture nomination. It’ll be interesting to see how the academy or the general awards community responds to it. Personally, I don’t see it getting a best picture nomination.

For a film so “empty” and “message-less” it’s a pleasant surprise that many people were able to resonate with the core tenet of the film — being frustration with the system. At the most basic level, the film is about inequality and mistreatment by the elite rich. I think, that’s what makes this film so powerful, it’s a message that resonates with so many across the world and we’re projecting our interpretation. Maybe that was the point. I don’t think the fact the message is conveyed through a deranged manic de-values the core message.

Also, a media station in Lebanon today blamed the Joker movie for the recent mass protest in Lebanon and Iraq. CNN said something similar a couple days ago. Yeah, let’s ignore that we have a colonial confessional-based system that has encouraged division, foreign intervention, corruption, austerity, nepotism, no accountability by the ruling elites/sectarian warlords, unemployment and massive wealth inequality for decades.

joker is so good everyone who watched it got a free philosophy PhD

“it’s like....so deep, man”

Please don’t exaggerate my point. I never alluded to that.

cooldude wrote:
November 1st, 2019, 4:27 pm
Please don’t exaggerate my point. I never alluded to that.
my post wasn’t a response to yours lol

it was completely random