Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Demoph wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 2:14 pm
Artemis wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 1:54 pm
Once again DC fandom are eating these comments up. Coppola disliking Iron Man doesn't mean he loves Aquaman.
Yep, this is not a DC vs Marvel thing. This is a Nolan/Raimi/Burton's singular super-hero movies versus big blockbuster controled by their producers, in Scorsese's and Coppola's mind.
Also they say MCU but when they say that, they definitely also have in mind Fast and furious, all the many remakes... They refer to MCU as the symbol of a production system they despise.
Yep and Star Wars.

You bet they’re team Lucas. Cameron already admitted as much.

Allstar wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 4:47 pm
Demoph wrote:
Artemis wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 1:54 pm
Once again DC fandom are eating these comments up. Coppola disliking Iron Man doesn't mean he loves Aquaman.
Yep, this is not a DC vs Marvel thing. This is a Nolan/Raimi/Burton's singular super-hero movies versus big blockbuster controled by their producers, in Scorsese's and Coppola's mind.
Also they say MCU but when they say that, they definitely also have in mind Fast and furious, all the many remakes... They refer to MCU as the symbol of a production system they despise.
Yep and Star Wars.

a lot of my cynical hipster friends all hate disney star wars for the same reasons, but idk how anybody can watch TLJ and think it feels like a movie controlled by producers. it is just factually incorrect.

-Vader

I agree with it in some cases and other I don’t. I don’t agree with it in TLJ. However, I’m sure Scorsese, Coppola feel this way about almost all Disney product, and for the most part...it’s true.

Also, lol @ being “hipster” for not liking Disney Star Wars...and yeah it’s still kind of subjective with TLJ since atheistically..it’s not all that unique. It’s pretty safe in that regard. And yes, Iger’s book basically confirmed what we all knew about TFA...

Vader182 wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 5:09 pm
Allstar wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 4:47 pm
Demoph wrote:

Yep and Star Wars.

a lot of my cynical hipster friends all hate disney star wars for the same reasons, but idk how anybody can watch TLJ and think it feels like a movie controlled by producers. it is just factually incorrect.

-Vader
I've felt imprisoned during some conversations between the people who felt SW8 didn't respect enough the code of the franchise and people saying it was too similar to ESB and ROTJ.
As for Cameron, I think he mostly meant TFA. I haven't heard many big directors talk about TLJ, I've always felt some could have defended Johnson who did try something brave at the heart of the system.

I don't blame Coppola for his opinion, but I will say every MCU movie I've watched has been much better than "Jack"...

Demoph wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 5:21 pm

I've felt imprisoned during some conversations between the people who felt SW8 didn't respect enough the code of the franchise and people saying it was too similar to ESB and ROTJ.
As for Cameron, I think he mostly meant TFA. I haven't heard many big directors talk about TLJ, I've always felt some could have defended Johnson who did try something brave at the heart of the system.
this is exactly correct. my own view is that TFA is riskier and TLJ safer than many suggest. TLJ's greatest liberties are with tone and a commitment to deconstruct, not really the plot which (ofc) is lifting freely from ESB/ROTJ. rian isn't coy about this, either. i do think the loudest voices on each side are missing the forest for the trees.

i will always consider myself pretty lucky i mostly love both movies, despite each having serious flaws, with the "tax" of strongly disliking R1 and not liking Solo much.

Allstar wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 5:12 pm
I agree with it in some cases and other I don’t. I don’t agree with it in TLJ. However, I’m sure Scorsese, Coppola feel this way about almost all Disney product, and for the most part...it’s true.

Also, lol @ being “hipster” for not liking Disney Star Wars...and yeah it’s still kind of subjective with TLJ since atheistically..it’s not all that unique. It’s pretty safe in that regard. And yes, Iger’s book basically confirmed what we all knew about TFA...
just for the record, this is what im talking about when i say you willfully misinterpret what i say (and others) just to be combative. i never said these friends were "hipsters' because they don't like disney, they're hipsters because they have mustaches and man buns and don't wear socks and read jonathan franzen while drinking kombucha

you misread what people post and get all hostile and its so tiring

PS, you always say im a disney / star wars fanboy when 50% of their movies are my two least liked star wars movies ever so.. same as you, right? you love R1 and TLJ. does that make you a fanboy?

-Vader

Skywalker saga fanboy would be more accurate. But...that’s not a bad thing. I don’t care. I do think you get too defensive over Disney, KK, JJ etc though.

Anyway, I took the hipster comment the wrong way. I thought you were implying they were such for not liking Disney movies. Did not do it on purpose.

I'm just happy now everybody knows who Francis Ford Coppola is lol

To be fair, Coppola's never liked superhero movies. He even put down Richard Donner's Superman as childish nonsense, and that was over 40 years ago.